First Modern Warfare 2 Footage Debuts

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
First Modern Warfare 2 Footage Debuts

The first in-game footage of Modern Warfare 2 made its debut on TV this past weekend, revealing possible arctic and underwater levels and deftly recalling memories of fan favorite Call of Duty 4 moments.

Call of Duty fans no longer have to scrutinize the original Modern Warfare 2 teaser trailer for clues about where their fave franchise is heading. Activision and Infinity Ward revealed the first in-game footage of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - oh wait, I mean, just Modern Warfare 2 - during the telecast of a NBA playoff game this past weekend.

The brief clip, which you can scope for yourself above, doesn't say much about how Modern Warfare 2 will play, but it does show where the series is heading in terms of location. It seems to show an invasion on some sort of arctic base, by air, land and sea: jets and helicopters fly in, some soldiers take a dive underneath a glacier, and then we get some actual first-person footage of someone on a snowmobile having a close call with an enemy vehicle.

The trailer then cuts to a brief snippet of a plane firing on a hostile soldier using night vision in a blatant nod to the memorable "Death from Above [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bL0su4_S0Q]" mission from Call of Duty 4, before teasing a "world premiere" on May 24th during the NBA's Eastern Conference Finals. So if you wanted a reason to watch the playoffs aside from watching the Lakers lose, there you go.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Oh no, the lakers will come back...that said if they lose i will quickly come back and edit my post as if nothing had happend. Well not much to be taken from this short clip, it looks really awesome but ill have to suspend my judgment until i can see more or better yet play it.
Quoting this for posterity. The Lakers are done.

Back on topic, I wouldn't take this clip to suggest that all of MW2 will be in snow locales...don't forget that COD4 went to about 3000 places all over the globe.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Hmm...Underwater levels? Will that work?

And did the bit with the snowmobile mean vehicle sections?

Who knows, that was very short trailer.

milkoy

Apr 28, 2009
Not to sound negative, but from how awesome COD4 was, this teaser doesn't seem up to par.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
calling it now: energy crisis leading to competition for arctic oil reserves between Russia, China, USA & EU

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
Cousin_IT said:
calling it now: energy crisis leading to competition for arctic oil reserves between Russia, China, USA & EU
That is a pretty good guess.

I need to see a longer trailer of ingame footage before I can judge this one. I am sure it will be as good as MW, but you never know the way sequels can tend to drift to shit.

RomanLegacy

May 6, 2009
From this, it seems the campaign is going to have variety at least. However, if they're asaulting some kind of artic base, it makes me wonder how far from reality they are actually going to wander. COD 4 essentialy fought terrorists and rebels as the technologicaly superior brits and americans, but what kind of terroist organziatation can run a secret artic base of any magnitude?

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I hate underwater levels in games. Why must designers do this to me...?

Other than that, from what little there was, it looked like it'll be well worth a look. Let's hope it'll be better than CoD4; there's a lot to live up to there.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Oh no, the lakers will come back...that said if they lose i will quickly come back and edit my post as if nothing had happend. Well not much to be taken from this short clip, it looks really awesome but ill have to suspend my judgment until i can see more or better yet play it.
Quoting this for posterity. The Lakers are done.
Series is tied 2-2, Rockets are without Yao and Tracy McGrady... Am I missing the sarcasm or something? Not that I'll be watching the playoffs, though. The NBA is a total joke. I'll take college basketball any day over the NBA, thank you very much.

And, to get back on topic, I honestly couldn't get into Call of Duty 4. I know, shocking. The only legitimate complaint I have is that the story wasn't as fantastic as everyone would have me think, so most likely, it's because I was freaking terrible at it. Anyways, I won't be buying Modern Warfare 2, even if the critics love it like CoD 4.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
RomanLegacy said:
From this, it seems the campaign is going to have variety at least. However, if they're asaulting some kind of artic base, it makes me wonder how far from reality they are actually going to wander. COD 4 essentialy fought terrorists and rebels as the technologicaly superior brits and americans, but what kind of terroist organziatation can run a secret artic base of any magnitude?
It could be in Russia. The story might be the S.A.S chasing followers of the main bad guy from COD 4 in Siberia.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I wasn't a big Modern Warfare fan (of the singleplayer, the mp was awesome), but this looks way better, now I might actually care about basketball.

And can we all stop calling it MW2, MW is Mech Warrior, I know it isn't said much, but it is and always will be.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Underwater levels always suck. Its like, a staple of gaming. Name 1 good underwater level. No, Bioshock does not count.
Vehicles, suck half the time in shooters.
So those things seem bad, not good.