Two Worlds II Trailers Mercilessly Mock Two Worlds

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Two Worlds II Trailers Mercilessly Mock Two Worlds

If you're making a sequel to a game that everybody - including you - knows was completely awful, you could do a whole lot worse than making fun of the first game in the trailers.

2007's Two Worlds was pretty darn bad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/541-Two-Worlds]. You know it, I know it, people who haven't played it know it, and developer Reality Pump and publisher SouthPeak Games certainly know it. Now, if you're making a sequel to a game that is well-known to be garbage, you have two options: Improve on it dramatically, or just make fun of it.

We can hope that Reality Pump and SouthPeak are doing the former (and early reports indicate that the game certainly isn't as bad as the original), but the latest batch of trailers is definitely doing the latter.

In the live-action trailers, evil Two Worlds minion Sordahon has quit his position as the right hand of evil overlord Gandohar and moved to Midlothian, Vancouver Virginia. Sorhadon must find a new line of employment and deal with the fact that he had sort-of-starred in a game that by all accounts was significantly less than stellar.

Honestly? The two videos, which have been released by our colleagues over at Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-two-worlds-ii-trailers-make-fun-of-two-worlds-179697.phtml], are pretty darn funny. The first one in particular has some scathing jabs at the game and its (entirely deserved) critical reception.

It's clear that the developer and publisher are aware of what was bad about Two Worlds. Let's hope that they can fix it for the sequel instead of just making fun of it.

(Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-two-worlds-ii-trailers-make-fun-of-two-worlds-179697.phtml])

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
That's awesome - they also sent out a retail info packet to the same effect apologizing for the first one and promising that the second one wouldn't suck so bad. All in a rather humorous tone.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Seems like the best way to go in terms of marketing. Rather than keep up an impossible façade of "the great series continue", admit your (many, many, many) faults and cut the dead weight which would otherwise have bogged this sequel down (and may very well still do so).

Being one of those who shelled out for the Royal Edition of the original game, I can't really muster much sympathy for their efforts though. Enough time to heal the grievous wounds just hasn't passed yet.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Scobie said:
Of course, the question here is why they're making a sequel at all, given that everyone on Earth apparently thought Two Worlds was horrible.
I thought the first game featured hilariously bad writing and combined it with some genuinely entertaining combat at higher levels.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Not sure what to think about this... it did seem pretty amusing, however.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I didn't play the first, but this was a pretty funny video lol.
IMO a great way to win over consumers is with humor!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Scobie said:
Of course, the question here is why they're making a sequel at all, given that everyone on Earth apparently thought Two Worlds was horrible.
apparently, 2 is coming out to be really really good, I am on getting 2.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
I thought Two Worlds was good, as in genuine fun. Guess I'm a lucky farmer to never have had any problems with the game, although it struck me from day 1 that you could aquire a skill designed specificaly against mounted enemies, and I have yet to find one xD

Anywho, I preordered TW2 long ago, if I have as much fun with it as I had with the first one, I don't care how bad it is :D

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Wow, even Myamoto has come out directly and said "The Mario Film sucked," this takes some big marketting balls to admit your game was terrible. If the will do this to any possible sequel to X-blades, I don't know.

oranger

May 27, 2008
wow, I was reading some of those reviews of the first game...and holy christ you can ever tell who's for sale there.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
...is criticising your own previous work the 'cool' thing to do [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102097-Molyneux-Calls-Fable-2-Messy-and-Rushed] nowadays or something?

Oh wells, at least people aren't afraid to poke at themselves now...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Matt_LRR said:
John Funk said:
Midlothian, Vancouver
Vancouver? You sure that's not VA. Like, Virginia? :p

-m
Huh. Dtoid called it Vancouver, but it is apparently a place in Virginia. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR STRANGE CANADIAN CITIES

fixing it.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
AC10 said:
I didn't play the first, but this was a pretty funny video lol.
IMO a great way to win over consumers is with humor!
your a lucky lucky person. Worst game i ever rented besides that Jumper movie tie in game.....thing.

OT: I enjoyed that video and hopefully Two Worlds II will be infinitely times better than the first.