198: Love Triangle

CoastalGirl

Feb 9, 2009
In agree with what a lot of the girls have said. I don't think many women truly want to get raped, despite the prevalence of fantasies. I guess I could relate on the level of physical power being sexy... I dunno.

I personally don't get the PH thing, though... I love the character's creepiness factor, and what it brings to the SH world, but sexy? No, not to me. But hey - to each their own. :)

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
The first thing I need to say before you read any more. I am a woman and have NO sexual interest in pyramid head. I have more a psychological one where if he had a voice and i could talk to him i would find out WHY he does what he does.

Liverandbacon said:
Kalezian said:
irishdelinquent said:
This article scared me slightly. What the hell is wrong with women these days?!
its simple, put a Pyramid Head costume on, get girls to like you.
You forgot the killing. You need to kill everything you see.

To each their own I suppose, but ugh.
you have to rape everything you see too....not just women but random legs attached to each other too.....

Nurb said:
that disturbs me.....highly.

Doug said:
Jakkar said:
I've met few women who don't eventually admit to a degree of submission and to privately indulge in rape fantasy.
Submission, I can understand. But rape fantasy?! And if anyone else reads this, no they aren't the same.

Submission can easily be choosing to submit to a powerful figure - hence why BDSM is relativity popular.

Rape is being forced against your will.
Many women have rape fantasies. Key word is fantasy. Most women will never try and act them out. Til you get women like me who are just warped in the head.

PureChaos said:
the Pyramid Head is an amazing enemy. i've not played any of them but watched a friend play through Silent Hill 2. just th sound of the sword scraping along the floor was enough to raise the pulse but not in a sexual way. yes, he's awesome but i don't see what they do in him.
The sword scraping across the floor will race my pulse in a sexual way but I have a thing for weapons. And cars.

Doug said:
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
It´s funny how we are not at all shocked, when a guy idolizes some violent serial killer...
Woah, hold the phone - who are you talking about? I've never seen guys idolising serial killers...? Did I miss something?

Doug said:
Doug said:
Hmm... well... I admit, I find Jackal the Ripper interesting, because its a mystery to everyone as to whom he or she was. And sometimes I find, say, Sylar from heroes interesting, but this is intellectual couriously. I don't admire him or his acts. I find it interesting how he acts, the nature of him as both man and monster.

The youngsters might admire such people because, lets face it, the youngsters (under 16's) are impressed by alot because there still relativity new to the world, heh.
There´s an interesting evolution seen in there; How we were, as a child, fascinated by gore itself, the very act of violence, but after certain age intellect gets involved and we are fascinated by the mind behind these acts. And to investigate the mind, we have to first focus on the action, since that is the only thing we can observe from outside perspective. A Fancy explanation to why we like gore, ain´t it :) (Not serious here)
I suspect thats primarily because in the course of evolution, males were hunts and warriors, who's task it was to defend and supply the tribals with food. Hence, an interest in gore was important as it was the 'stock and trade' if you will. Females, well, I'm not sure if they are interested in it - ladies?
*drags on a pipe before blowing bubbles out of the end*

And yes, the Ripper is an interesting character, mostly because s/he is a mystery, and we all love mysteries. What I find weird, is how we can conjure up the most gruesome images we can think of, when we lack information. I mean the rumours concerning the Ripper, what he did and how he did it. Imagination is a vile thing indeed.
Ahhh, this one I can understand - humans always look for patterns and understanding to the patterns. This is how conspiracy theories are formed - incomplete data and understanding prompts spectulation. Again, this traces its way back to the plains of Africa where 'hmm, my friend disappeared and there appears to be a lions tail sticking out of the grass, therefore I should avoid lions' was about the only trick our proto-species had of survival.
To put this post on topic, I´d say what we have here, in this article, is basically the same thing we already know about males and their(our) interest in violence and tits; Playing out dark, hidden passions safely through interactive entertainment. The difference is that, while in their fantasies males tend to be the attacker, the one committing heinous deeds, females seem to take the role of the victim. In addition, female fantasies seem to be more sexual in nature, while males experience more with their inherent brutality. Whether or not brutal fantasies have any sexual tension, I´m not qualified to say.

Now, I´m not an expert nor have I had proper psychological education, so all this is just speculation, mostly based on assumptions and gender stereotypes. Take what you will from it.
Hmm... I suppose your right. I do think that our surprise at rape fantasties are popular is because rape is a worse crime to people than most murders - after all, rape is torturous and can often stay with the victim for years if not the rest of their lives. With killing (i.e. every FPS), its short, sharp, and over quickly - add to that, most 'killing' fantasty games, you and your enemy generally have equal odds. Add to that, in FPS' online, you have the bizzare situation of someone you shot coming back from the dead (i.e. respawning) to resume combat.

So...yeah, I think I lost the point abit. I still find the idea of women fantasizing about rape odd; about firm, hard, nookie wih big tough guys, fair enough, but rape is an odd thing to want I find.
There have been plenty of female serial killers as well, you just never hear of them. Such as:
1. Delphine LaLaurie
2. Juana ?La Mataviejitas? Barraza
3. Amelia ?The Baby Farmer? Dyer
4. Marie Noe
5. Aileen Wuornos
6. Belle Gunness
7. Delfina and Maria de Jesus Gonzales
8. Enriqueta ?The Vampire of Barcelona? Marti
A lot of female serial killers were also considered "Angels of Death/Mercy" where they would kill terminally ill people in hospitals or hospices, working either as a nurse or a volunteer.

Personally, I love violence and gore more than the average female. Although I will admit to being a romantic at heart.

Sociologically speaking(since I have a little bit of a background from college in it as it was my major) Society tells you something is wrong so most people will go with it. Then you get those few who go against the grain becuase sociologically they might have been raised a little different. Look at it this way: If you are raised as a nudist the rest of the world seems wrong to you where as vice versa those not raised as that have major issues with the idea of being naked all the time. There are exceptions to this in every society. I'm making blanket statements.

Anyways that is all I have right now. *bows out* i gotta go re-polish my swords and get the rust off again.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
ender214 said:
This article brings up an interesting point by noting that, while guys are mainly interested in sexuality and violence when it comes to drawing them to a game (which through my experience, seems to be mainly true), women seem to want an emotional game that gets them more involved in a characters psych. Women are attracted to Pyramid Head because they think they can change him.

This entire thing reminded me about why a lot of high school relationships fall apart. The girl is attracted to a guy because she thinks she can convert him from the badass he is. The guy, interested mainly in the sexual prospects of the relationship. Long story short, guy dumps girl for bugging him all the time, girl gets depressed that she wasn't good enough to change the guy. Maybe women should stop trying to change men all the time...
I was thinking the same thing- that this is some bizarre logical extreme of the "I can cure that 'bad boy' with my tenderness and devotion" fixation some women have. I don't get it... but then again, I also didn't find the Nurses anything but creepy and revolting, either.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Zeithri said:
This article was very poor.
It basically just was a review of a Facebook group about normal people trying to be diffrent.
Nooo it's about these girls who are insane that like a psycho path.

TheMadJayWoman

Apr 24, 2009
I've never really pondered much on this (although there is some interesting discussion going on in this thread), but now that I think of it, the past several conventions I've attended there has been at least one Pyramid Head cosplayer, and ALL of them have been girls...

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I enjoyed reading the article. Im not surprised there is a selection of omen into PH, hes got killer abs.

In seriousness now, serial killers/rapists/high profile douche bags in prison regularly get love letters and general nut hugging correspondence from loads of women. This is nothing new.

It just supports my argument that being a douche (in a none rapist/killer way) to women keeps them coming back over and over again. Ive tested this on numerous occasions and never been disappointed. Mind games keep women interested.

The other thing to take from the article, it took me a few years to figure it out, is to ask your girlfriend for whatever grubby little act gets your monkey going. No matter how disturbing. You think your kinks make you triple pant shitting twisted? I promise you your girlfriend is twice as dirty.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
ender214 said:
This article brings up an interesting point by noting that, while guys are mainly interested in sexuality and violence when it comes to drawing them to a game (which through my experience, seems to be mainly true), women seem to want an emotional game that gets them more involved in a characters psych. Women are attracted to Pyramid Head because they think they can change him.

This entire thing reminded me about why a lot of high school relationships fall apart. The girl is attracted to a guy because she thinks she can convert him from the badass he is. The guy, interested mainly in the sexual prospects of the relationship. Long story short, guy dumps girl for bugging him all the time, girl gets depressed that she wasn't good enough to change the guy. Maybe women should stop trying to change men all the time...
I was thinking the same thing- that this is some bizarre logical extreme of the "I can cure that 'bad boy' with my tenderness and devotion" fixation some women have. I don't get it... but then again, I also didn't find the Nurses anything but creepy and revolting, either.
I never understood that either - the whole 'bad boy who I can fix thing'. If they were fixable, they almost certainly would have been fixed by the last girlfriend of the arsehole. As for the nurses, I've just peeked at an image of them, and yeah, I don't see the attraction of them either.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
That is extremely fucked up.

Though, I definately know what I'm dressing up as at the next gaming con near me.

CruftForce7

Apr 25, 2009
Wait, what the crap? You guys at The Escapist used a picture of the helmet from my Pyramid Head costume and photoshopped it onto the head of Generic Male Stripper Guy! Seriously, see here:

http://CruftForce7.deviantart.com/art/Pyramid-Head-helmet-detail-41804099

OMFG! Teh art theft! ...actually, that's pretty hilarious. Apparently I'm missing out by never having worn that costume to a con.

October Country

Dec 21, 2008
Interesting article
I never really thought about this, rape fantasies are nothing new, but Pyramid Head? I can understand him as a sexual symbol of the wild and untamed, but realistically speaking and in real life I doubt that many women would be attracted to him - or wanted to be raped, cut and slashed with that giant knife of his.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
You wouldn't really be able to go on a date with him, would you? He'd be a bloody nightmare at the cinema; and if you went to a restaurant he'd have to suck his food through a straw.

ExodusinFlames

Apr 19, 2009
Its actually real arousal instead of just jest.
In several of the previous posts, it was mentioned that some women have desires that go outside of the normal sexual dynamic.
Alot of people are saying that they're afraid or that these women should be ashamed, which is terrifying. Women suppressing their desires (in this case dealing with a man who is an extreme Alpha male, aggressive, taking what they want rather than meekly inquiring), while yes, being strange, is still very unhealthy.

As long as society continues to force people to repress their assorted minor deviancies, the longer you're going to see consistent misery.

CruftForce7

Apr 25, 2009
ExodusinFlames said:
Its actually real arousal instead of just jest.
Um, were you talking about my "that's pretty hilarious" comment? If so, I was only referring to the header graphic, not the content of the article. If not, then never mind.

But as long as we're on the subject... The only thing that I think is funny about all of this is how anyone could be surprised that Pyramid Head and his massive, red, rock-hard helmet make some people think about COCK, or that his molestation of sexually objectified depictions of women can also evoke sub/dom fantasies. No doubt that's because everyone has moved beyond Freud and Jung and realizes that there are no truly universal symbolic archetypes, and they are simply incredulous that anyone could be aroused by such blatant attempts at phallic imagery. Or not.

Video game psychology: It's serious shit, man.

Myself, I just think that every single person is far weirder than they think they are, and the only reason we're amused by other peoples' weirdness is because we're too accustomed to our own personal weirdness to see how weird we are through other peoples' eyes. Best to just embrace your weirdness and move on.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
Well, Men and Women both have some weird sexual likes and dislikes. Like the fact that a girl would acctually liked to be raped is a big no-no, but if she has the look of a night-elf upon her is a big turn on.< damn my nerdy fantasies!!!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
crazy article, really enlightening... In response to the random comments I've read, I think some women foster rape fantasies because the rush of fear turns them on, especially in regards to someone they're attracted to - but it's their survival instinct that keeps them from sharing this fantasy because some drunken frat boy would hear this and think to himself "hey, I could be her fantasy tonight!" Seriously, some guys are dumb enough to think like that - so would you go around telling people "I fantasized about being raped"?

"by a seven-foot tall reaper with a metal box on his head and a giant JRPG sword"?

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Sci-Fi luver437 said:
Zeithri said:
This article was very poor.
It basically just was a review of a Facebook group about normal people trying to be diffrent.
Nooo it's about these girls who are insane that like a psycho path.
Yea, I thought this was a good journalistic investigation. I didn't expect it to tell me WHY this happens, I don't think we'll ever know - that's why we discuss it here in the forums.