?198 million pound footballer. Well Football (soccer) has changed dramatically in 15 years.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
I couldn't put the pound sign because the site flips out about it. Anywho those "student athletes" in the NCAA must be thinking holy fuck, with their no wage but "a free education at a top college, terms and conditions apply". While fans of smaller sports teams are also thinking, HOLY DOUBLE FUCK!! Why? Well this,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40804584

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/10971192/neymar-agrees-five-year-paris-saint-germain-deal-ahead-of-world-record-163-450m-transfer-from-barcelona

Oh wait hold up. The total value of the deal is around half a billion pounds. You can buy an entire team or 20 for that price.

What's to discuss? Football in Europe has become fantasy football for the rich. Yes it's always been like that but not on this level. I hear those in my social circle saying how it's just becoming a joke and how on earth smaller teams can cope.

If you are into football/soccer or sports in general, how does this make you feel? Money making the game pointless and passionless? How does this deal compare to other sports like NFL, Cricket, Basketball etc.?

Being a sports fan, depending on the team, isn't cheap either.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Imagine if they spent all that money going to sports on healthcare. Brits could actually afford to see a Dentist! XD

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Lil devils x said:
Imagine if they spent all that money going to sports on healthcare. Brits could actually afford to see a Dentist! XD
Hey, we are leaving the EU so we can use that 350 million pounds a weeks on our health service. Right, Boris? right? RIGHT??!!

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Parasondox said:
Lil devils x said:
Hey, we are leaving the EU so we can use that 350 million pounds a weeks on our health service. Right, Boris? right? RIGHT??!!
Just think if you guys spent all that money being spent on footballers on healthcare every single Brit would have perfect teeth and would not constantly be doing crazy things like trying to pull their own teeth and drill their own cavities. The videos I have seen come from the UK on self dentistry are disturbing.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Lil devils x said:
Parasondox said:
Lil devils x said:
Just think if you guys spent all that money being spent on footballers on healthcare every single Brit would have perfect teeth and would not constantly be doing crazy things like trying to pull their own teeth and drill their own cavities. The videos I have seen come from the UK on self dentistry are disturbing.
To be fair, they where mostly drunk in those vids or just from Essex and Kent. Football is a religion here.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I think the entire transfer is completely mental.

For one, it's more than a little bit shady how the fee is paid. PSG can't pay it because of Financial Fair Play so instead Neymar suddenly gets a deal with the Qatari government to be a World Cup Ambassador for 300 million Euros, allowing him to comfortably pay off his release clause and join PSG. The same PSG that's owned by Qataris - but I'm sure there's nothing fishy about that and I'm sure it won't set any precedent in the future for a country essentially buying a player outright for a club they have a stake in. Hmm.

For two, it's another move orchestrated entirely for the benefit of the agent. Like Mino Raiola shunts players around to pick up massive fees, this entire transfer seems to have been mostly to benefit Neymar Sr, who seems to be set to receive a nice signing-on bonus as well as trying to stiff Barcelona for a loyalty bonus while putting together Neymar's move away from the club.

There's also this rumour going around that Neymar apparently feels overshadowed by Messi. There's an element of truth to that - it's like that Champion's League game where Barcelona beat PSG against the odds and although Neymar played a blinder, Messi was the hero and there's that phenomenal picture of him standing above the crowd and celebrating. The thing is though, the reality is that no matter which way you slice it the reason that Neymar is overshadowed by Messi is because Messi is better than him and going to another team won't change the fact that Messi is better than him at the minute. On top of that, Messi gets the glory at Barca because he's a club legend - he's one of the best players in the world and he's been with them since he was a kid, he's earned that praise. All Neymar can be now is a mercenary.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A football who weighs 198 million pounds? I must have gotten my pounds to kilo conversions wrong cause that looks way too much...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Become? Late to the party, it's been this way for at least two decades at this point.... it's a mess, the Women's football is almost more interesting to watch now, because they're more down to earth. All of the game, not so much of the politics and financial drama.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Good news everybody. The spanish league has denied the transfer because it would violate the principle of Financial Fairplay. So we know that 222 Mio. Euronen are to much now we just need to look exactly where the border lies.

Well PSG is preparing to go to FIFA to cry but I'm sure there is NO WAY that FIFA will be swayed by large amounts of money.

Charli said:
Become? Late to the party, it's been this way for at least two decades at this point.... it's a mess, the Women's football is almost more interesting to watch now, because they're more down to earth. All of the game, not so much of the politics and financial drama.
Now all they need is the ability of their male counterparts and it might ALMOST entertain on a sunday afternoon.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
UEFA have admitted that even if they breach FFP rules, it's only going to result in sanctions and nothing more. And when you have just purchased the worlds most expensive player, a non-retrospective transfer ban seems a bit farcical.

La Liga has no grounds to block it though, without breaking their own contract system. Which you could argue frees Neymar to leave for nothing...

EscapeGoat said:
PSG can't pay it because of Financial Fair Play so instead Neymar suddenly gets a deal with the Qatari government to be a World Cup Ambassador for 300 million Euros, allowing him to comfortably pay off his release clause and join PSG.
Wait, what? I haven't seen this bit anywhere (by which I mean, BBC or the linked Sky article). Can I haz source, please?

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Its like FIFA career mode leaking into the real world.
Speak for yourself. My FIFA career modes revolve around pushing Morecambe or Accrington up from League 2 to the Champions League.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Catnip1024 said:
Wait, what? I haven't seen this bit anywhere (by which I mean, BBC or the linked Sky article). Can I haz source, please?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/02/psg-200m-neymar-barcelona-financial-fair-play

Presumably there is a way around it?

Funny you should mention that. First off, FFP accounting allows for transfer fees to be paid over the length of the player?s contract (just as in the actual deal, payments will be structured over time). So that gives you a bit of wriggle room ? PSG might, for example, be able to sell three or four players at ?50m a time during the next couple of years. The Spanish press have claimed that the deal could be done in a more roundabout way. Mundo Deportivo has reported that Neymar may have already agreed to become an ambassador for Qatar?s World Cup and that the fee for this might be around ?200m. In that case Neymar would be able to turn up at the offices of La Liga and buy out his own release clause.
Thanks. Nothing to back it up yet beyond a reporters rumouring, but if true it's very dodgy stuff.

But if he hasn't received the 200 million yet, how can he afford to buy himself out? I hate to imagine the interest on a 200 million loan...

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
http://www.espnfc.com/story/3169463/paris-saint-germain-announce-signing-of-neymar-from-barcelona

Well, its done. RIP football.
What are serious joke. Almost ?200 million for a player. 1 player. Football is for the rich and the elite.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I feel like it should be a priority for every other player to permanently injure that guy when they play against him.

Lets see how much that 200 million pounds buys you when your athlete has a broken knee.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Football is a sport where penniless, working class fools pay extortionate amounts of money to watch millionaire cry-babies run around a field and pretend to get hurt. It can't crash soon enough.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Cartographer said:
Football is a sport where penniless, working class fools pay extortionate amounts of money to watch millionaire cry-babies run around a field and pretend to get hurt. It can't crash soon enough.
You see how much a shirt cost? Thats a days pay almost.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Parasondox said:
What are serious joke. Almost ?200 million for a player. 1 player. Football is for the rich and the elite.
The Australian 'A League' has a salary cap of Au$2.6 million (1.6 m pound) per team [http://www.a-league.com.au/about]...