Will "Noob" Be the Millionth Word in the English Language?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Will "Noob" Be the Millionth Word in the English Language?

The English language is on the verge of adding its one millionth word and according to the Global Language Monitor, that word just might be "noob."

The Global Language Monitor [http://www.languagemonitor.com/] recognizes words once they've been used 25,000 times by media outlets, social networks and other sources, and says the widespread use of English as a second language throughout Asia has resulted in its most dramatic growth since Shakespeare's era. The group currently predicts that the English language will hit the magic million mark at 10:22 am on June 10, and "noob" - including, presumably, its synonyms "n00b" and "newb" - could very well take the crown.

It's not a lock for the title, however. Other words in the running include "defollow" and "defriend," which refer to the act of dropping Facebook [http://www.twitter.com] contacts, "greenwashing," which describes the activities of companies attempting to appear environmentally friendly, and "chiconomics," which has something to do with maintaining a fashionable lifestyle during times of recession.

"Despite having a million words at our disposal it is unlikely that we will ever use more than just a tiny fraction of them," said Global Language Monitor Chief Analyst Paul Payack. "The average person's vocabulary is fewer than 14,000 words out of these million that are available. A person who is linguistically gifted would only use 70,000 words."

Of course, nailing down a specific one millionth entry in the English lexicon is an iffy proposition at best and some linguists have questioned whether such a determination can be made at all. For my part, I must admit to a certain ambivalence over the possibility that a milestone so noteworthy might be achieved by leet-speak; I realize that languages are organic and evolving but this feels vaguely regressive somehow. Isn't it just a tiny bit sad that 400 years of progress has brought us from "Let me be cruel, not unnatural; I will speak daggers to her, but use none," to "QQ more, noob?"

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/5285085/One-millionth-English-word-could-be-defriend-or-noob.html]

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
Seems a bit odd for Chinese adaptation of English to add words to the language ^^

I think noob is more deserving of the place than the other words competing for the position as millionth (if it's between noob and defriend/defollow/greenwashing/chiconomics, I know which I'm routing for). Leet-speak is winz - concise yet expressive.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Oh my GOD please tell me noob isn't going to make it into the English language! It pisses me off enough seeing it already, I don't want it legitimised!

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
You know what? I must say, I think the word noob has earned the right to be a real word. If it happens to get the prestigious spot as millionth word, then all the better. I mean, enough people use it right? And it's fairly useful. Unlike those other words mentioned- defollow? Defriend? Chiconomics? I've never even heard these words. They definetly don't deserve the spot over noob.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
it aint all bad. 400years from now Shakespearean language will still be seen as eloquent & all that. geekspeak meanwhile will have long since fizzled away like so many other fads.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Internet slang should not be in the Dictionary, plain and simple. I can't believe they're even considering this. And who on Earth uses words like defollow and chiconomics? "Bangs head on keyboard"

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Thank god they don't include CSS/Halo/Whatever usage. Otherwise it would have probably been added about 10 years ago.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
There is way more then a million words! Think about it...

Seriously, I will wait, I have nothing better to do right now.

Got it yet?

How about know?

I will enlighten you if you ain't figured it out yet. There is over a billion trillion numbers, each number was a word and sign representation, there for over a trillion words.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
needausername said:

Got it yet?

How about know?

I will enlighten you if you ain't figured it out yet. There is over a billion trillion numbers, each number was a word and sign representation, there for over a trillion words.
95% of which are combinations of other number-words.

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
i'd sooner prefer 1337 to become an officially recognized language on a planet far, far away than to have English absorb that waste of a syllable.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
needausername said:

Got it yet?

How about know?

95% of which are combinations of other number-words.
One word (or two in your theory) Blackboard. Its its own word, even though it is a combination of the words black and board.