Spector: Epic Mickey Contains "Best Of Deus Ex"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Spector: Epic Mickey Contains "Best Of Deus Ex"

Don't think that Warren Spector has gotten soft just because he's making a Disney game.

The first thing that comes to mind when people think about a Mickey Mouse game is typically not deep and complex. Warren Spector wants to make sure we know that Epic Mickey [http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Epic-Mickey-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002I0GEXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279984993&sr=8-1] will buck that trend, comparing it to his 2000 sci-fi FPS Deus Ex.

Deus Ex allowed players to choose their own play styles, taking different approaches to the same situation using varied abilities. In a lengthy interview, Spector told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5928/putting_the_epic_in_epic_mickey.php] that these are the types of games he likes to make, and that Epic Mickey will still "fit within my personal game design philosophy and the studio's mission."

"You know, the graphics may be different, the hero may be different, the fiction may be different, but there's some real Deus Ex-y gameplay in this, if people will give Mickey a chance," he said. He wants Epic Mickey to be "a combination of the best of platform games, the best of action-adventure games, and the best of Deus Ex-style role playing."

Spector also related that he hates "telling players what good and evil is," and that "there is a price to pay for being a warmonger, and there's a price to pay for being a pacifist." This is what Spector says he wants players to experience in Epic Mickey.

So if you're still prejudiced against Epic Mickey because it features Mickey Mouse and other Disney characters, it might be time to open your mind. Mickey's journey to save the world from the Phantom Blot could hold us over while we're all waiting for the actual next Deus Ex game [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Pc/dp/B002I0HKRQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279986576&sr=8-3] to come out (which is sadly not a project of Spector's this time).

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5928/putting_the_epic_in_epic_mickey.php]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I think this game might turn out to be fun, but I'm not sure. I've enjoyed a few Disney games such as the Mickey game for SNES and Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow for SNES. I might decide to get this game when it comes out.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That's a big claim to make, but if anyone can make it, it's Warren Spector. Looking forward to Epic Mickey, hope its title isn't misleading. I have a feeling it'll live up to the hype, though its sad that this is a game doomed to a cult following, it would seem. It's on the Wii and it's Mickey Mouse. The Halo/COD crowd will look at it and will immediately declare it as

"HA HA DAT IS SOO GHEY, ha lol XD haxorz 1337, noob"

Shame.

King_Serpent

GUY YOU DON'T KNOW
Jul 12, 2010
I have heard that the game is only for the wii, which is bad for me, because I do not have a Wii. Wish I could at least give it a chance but well I can't even look at it. And do not say buy a Wii because that is not an option right now. Still I hope it is a great game and I get to at least play it some how.

RatRace123 said:
That's a big claim to make, but if anyone can make it, it's Warren Spector. Looking forward to Epic Mickey, hope its title isn't misleading. I have a feeling it'll live up to the hype, though its sad that this is a game doomed to a cult following, it would seem. It's on the Wii and it's Mickey Mouse. The Halo/COD crowd will look at it and will immediately declare it as

"HA HA DAT IS SOO GHEY, ha lol XD haxorz 1337, noob"

Shame.
I am part of that crowd and like the idea of the game, so do't be so narrow minded. People do not think that way or at least I don't.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Oh man, what a dilemma. I'd really like to play this; it sounds like Deus Ex crossed with Psychonauts. But I don't want Disney to get any of my money, evil corporation that they are.

Oh wait, it's a Wii exclusive? Well, that's made the decision for me. I won't be getting it, unfortunately. Which is not to say anything bad about the Wii, I like the Wii, I just don't own one is all.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Well, I think Mickey's kind of a badass ever since playing Kingdom Hearts II, so I have no problem giving him a chance. With Warren Spector behind the wheel I'm pretty sure I'll get getting a solid game regardless.

MrNickster

Apr 23, 2010
Being a Wii gamer without a 360 or PS3, Epic Mickey is near the top of my 'Games of Interest' list. It's considerably darker than what Mickey is used and with Warren Spector at the helm with Deus-Ex style elements in his mind, it could be a truly great game.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
oktalist said:
Oh man, what a dilemma. I'd really like to play this; it sounds like Deus Ex crossed with Psychonauts. But I don't want Disney to get any of my money, evil corporation that they are.

Oh wait, it's a Wii exclusive? Well, that's made the decision for me. I won't be getting it, unfortunately. Which is not to say anything bad about the Wii, I like the Wii, I just don't own one is all.
Disney is evil? I always imagine there nice considering there channel is practically 3rd party ad-free except for the ads that go something like "Walmart encourages kids to spend more time with there family!" Which do not really compliment Walmart much. *turns to the disney channel* and they also have a special service announcement that teaches you how you should act online. (It is sad when Disney has to teach kids instead of parents.) and stupid behind scenes crap...

Apr 28, 2008
Well, here's hoping he's telling the truth. A recent description of a quest is promising.

You had to get a guy 3 keys or something. You could go around getting 3 keys, or you could get one key, break into the guy's vault, take the key and give it to him saying its the second key. Rinse and repeat.

Its neat little things like that that gives me hope.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I'm not prejudiced about it being a Mickey game, I'm prejudiced because they gave in to the demands of those whiny parents who don't want Mickey to be evil, to which I say: Is there a person hiding under the kitchen table forcing you to buy the game? Oh wait, it's your child, because your parenting skills are rubbish!

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Once they gave in to the demands of the whiny soccer moms and made the game lighthearted, I gave up hope on this.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm still kinda skeptical about this game. It looks pretty good and all, but watching some gameplay videos I only see this as a clone of Super Mario Sunshine, with the water (paint) gun thingy and all. Calling this game Deus Ex-y?... hmm... I still have my doubts.