Rumor: New Hulk Found for Avengers Movie [UPDATED]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: New Hulk Found for Avengers Movie [UPDATED]

Has a new actor been found to fill the Hulk's purple pants? Sources say yes.

Earlier this month, it was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101998-Edward-Norton-Dropped-From-Avengers-Movie] that Edward Norton would not be appearing as Bruce Banner in the 2012 Avengers movie. Since then, who would replace him has been the source of much speculation, but sources are suggesting that a replacement has been found, and that it will be Shutter Island actor Mark Ruffalo.

Besides Shutter Island, Ruffalo has appeared in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Where the Wild Things Are, as well as directing Sympathy for Delicious.

Ruffalo's name came up earlier in the month as one of the actors in the running to play the part, and the last obstacles to him joining the cast were said to be pay and the number of movies that Marvel wanted him to appear in.

There's no official confirmation of the casting yet, but if it proves to be true then Ruffalo will join Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Downey Jr., and Chris Evans - amongst others - in the Joss Whedon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102287-Joss-Whedon-Officially-Directing-The-Avengers] directed movie.

UPDATE: The rumors have been now been confirmed as Ruffalo joined the rest of the cast on stage at Comic-Con. Also confirmed is Jeremy Renner, star of the Hurt Locker, as Hawkeye.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/toldja-marvel-ruffalo-reach-hulk-deal/] and The Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/exclusive-ruffalo-hulk-deal-expected-tomorrow-comic-con-launch-19504?page=0,1]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Well, this makes me sad. Edward Norton is my favorite actor, whereas I don't really care much for Ruffalo.

Oh well, all we can do is wait and see.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Hulk smash puny actor...

I may alone in this but I dont care who plays the hulk. The only thing I care about is that he turns big, green, mean, and causes home and car insurance prices to sky rocket for a hundred miles around him.

Zephyr892

Mar 15, 2009
I'd heard a Joaquin Phoenix rumor... and I'm not really against Ruffalo, I just feel like there are better choices out there.

Either way, it really just depends on how much significance The Hulk/Bruce have in the film.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I wonder if the part of the Hulk will have some kind of curse that keeps the actor from playing the part again.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
There will never be a better hulk than Edward Norton. Guess we'll just have to settle for second best(Not saying that's Ruffalo.)

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Deviltongue said:
I still can't believe they shafted Norton like that. He was a really good Banner...
If Norton really isn't the primadonna that his representative claims, then he would still be on the project. I loved him as Banner, and in every other move he was in. But if he can't get over himself and share the spotlight, then screw him.

Good luck to the Ruffalo.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
That sucks.
I found Ruffalo to be incredibly "meh" in terms of acting, where, while Edward Norton is a dick, he is easily one of the best actors currently working. Still, since Samuel L. Jackson is in the movie, I'm morally inclined to see it, no matter what.

Sep 17, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
I don't understand why Edward isn't playing the Hulk again, please explain this to me
They made up some rumor that he was hard to work with on the Hulk movie, but I doubt it is true because he actually wrote the Hulk movie under a fake name (look for another Edward). I think they didn't wanna pay him what he deserved...or the script was awful.

I really like Ed Norton, this is a disappointment.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
If they're going with a more Ultimates style for the Marvel movies....why not get Steve Buscemi as Bruce Banner.

I mean, it's even in the damn comic.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I don't understand why Edward isn't playing the Hulk again, please explain this to me
They made up some rumor that he was hard to work with on the Hulk movie, but I doubt it is true because he actually wrote the Hulk movie under a fake name (look for another Edward). I think they didn't wanna pay him what he deserved...or the script was awful.

I really like Ed Norton, this is a disappointment.
My guess with that is that Norton wanted a main man pay-check, when there is no main-man, but several main-men. Which would mean a smaller pay, and arguments over such, and getting tossed. Just my guess.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Such a shame, Edward Norton made a really fun hulk. He nailed the sweet spot of having an equal mix between being down enough about his "condition" to make it believable, whilst having brilliant moments of humour.

Can't say much about Ruffalo, I haven't seen alot of his work.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I wonder how much the Hulk will factor in the Avengers film. Will he be pivotal or more of a periphery character?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Hmm. Interesting... although there's something I don't like about Ruffalo. He looks like he's permanently just after getting out of bed or something...

Meh.

I want Norton back, I guess! :p