BioShock Team Revealing New Game Soon?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BioShock Team Revealing New Game Soon?

Irrational Games' mystery project could possibly be revealed within weeks.

Irrational Games launched a BioShock [http://irrationalgames.com/]'s pitch document. The only thing Irrational hasn't told anybody about is its next game, in-development for years and codenamed "Project Icarus". Come mid-August, this may change.

Irrational sent a preliminary flyer out to Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/24/irrational-games-event-on-august-11th-in-nyc-game-reveal-probab/] announcing an event on August 11 in New York City, asking for people to "please save the date." The details sadly end there, with formal invitations promised soon.

Irrational Games has a lengthy development history reaching back to the critically acclaimed System Shock 2. The studio's most recent hit was 2007's BioShock, with reported sales of more than 4 million. Since then, all that has been known about Irrational's current project is that it's an unannounced shooter and an original IP. The company did an amazing job with BioShock, a shooter that was an original IP, so I can't wait to see what the company has in store for us next. We'll have to wait until August 11 to see if the reveal is what Irrational has planned. If it's not, I'll probably cry.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/24/irrational-games-event-on-august-11th-in-nyc-game-reveal-probab/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Original IP? From the creators of Bioshock?

I am interested.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Irrational Games is dead, I could care less what the spineless sanitized big name chain brand dose with itself anymore.......

And yes Bioshock is a poorly designed game......

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Cool! Wonder what it is though...wonder if it will be withing same vein as there previous title...

ZippyDSMlee said:
Explain...How?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Jaredin said:
Cool! Wonder what it is though...wonder if it will be withing same vein as there previous title...

ZippyDSMlee said:
Explain...How?
Don't feed the trolls.

Looking forward to this. The genre definitely needs another breath of fresh air.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I'd care if I didn't think Bioshock was total shit. And for people who want to know why I think that, look at my previous posts.

DarkJester

Dec 17, 2009
I'm tingly with excitement... Bioshock is a favorite and SS2 is legendary. Whatever they have planned better be revolutionary or a lot of fans will feel left stuck behind an old reputation.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Please please please be that zombie-centric FPS you were working on before BioShock. PLEASE.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Original IP good, another cash grab bad. I loved Bioshock and Sysstem Shock 2, but I didn't even bother with BS2 since everything about it seemed just wrong.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about whatever this is.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Icehearted said:
Original IP good, another cash grab bad. I loved Bioshock and Sysstem Shock 2, but I didn't even bother with BS2 since everything about it seemed just wrong.
They had nothing to do with the 2nd bioshock (teamwise)

I am calling...SWAT 5 and somthing awesome

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Cheesebob said:
Icehearted said:

Oh, I'm aware of some of the shifts, though my understanding is that it was the original's creator that stepped away, not the whole team. My point was more that BioShock was a complete package, a sequel was not only unnecessary, but largely unwelcome, and a great deal of the mechanics in it seemed to be counter to the original game's formula. It was a cash grab in every sense, and not a very popular one either. Also, it's not the team but the company I'm fixated on. They're all parts of the same whole :/

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Tattaglia said:
Please please please be that zombie-centric FPS you were working on before BioShock. PLEASE.
Wasn't that a four player co-op zombie shooter?

Given that Valve kinda beat them to it, that seems like an unlikely choice for their next project.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Carnagath said:
Jaredin said:

ZippyDSMlee said:
Explain...How?
Don't feed the trolls.

Looking forward to this. The genre definitely needs another breath of fresh air.
Stating opinions doesn't make him a troll nor does it make him right or incorrect. It's just their opinion.

OT: If its something different from them, I'd be interested. I loved Bioshock and liked Bioshock 2, but something new would be a good thin in my book. You can't spend all your time under the sea.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Jaredin said:

ZippyDSMlee said:
Explain...How?
First off gun/aiming implementation was wonky, next AI is over simplified beyond the 2 or 3 neat scripts(jump into water when on fire,run to healing station when hurt enough) they were blind deaf and dumb,pacing was fubarded due to times being every frakking where killing mood and damaging the atmosphere,Audio logs felt like simple sound bites that half the time add confusion to the plot/story. All in all the only difference in it and your average on the rail corridor shooter is every level has a roundabout and you can back track some.

Like most new games it was made as a film not a game you interact with.........

coil

Apr 5, 2007
Icehearted said:
Cheesebob said:
Icehearted said:

Oh, I'm aware of some of the shifts, though my understanding is that it was the original's creator that stepped away, not the whole team. My point was more that BioShock was a complete package, a sequel was not only unnecessary, but largely unwelcome, and a great deal of the mechanics in it seemed to be counter to the original game's formula. It was a cash grab in every sense, and not a very popular one either. Also, it's not the team but the company I'm fixated on. They're all parts of the same whole :/
...Except that Bioshock was made by Irrational Games/2K Boston, in Boston MA, and Bioshock 2 was made by 2K Marin, in Marin CA.

While I imagine the top guys at Irrational had some oversight of the operation, the *entire* production of it was done by Marin, not Irrational. Both studios may be owned by 2K Games, but concluding "they're all parts of the same whole" is like saying Mars owns both M&Ms and Starburst (which is true) and therefore M&Ms taste like fruit chews.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
dathwampeer said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Irrational Games is dead, I could care less what the spineless sanitized big name chain brand dose with itself anymore.......

You mean couldn't. To say you could care less would mean that you have to care at least a little. At the same time it could mean you care a lot. The only thing it can't mean is that you don't care at-all. Saying you Couldn't care less means that you are at the bottom of the caring meter.

And if Bioshock is badly designed god help pretty much every other game in existence.

OT: This.... Could be amazing.
True I just hope its not a on the rails watered down POS the industry loves dumping out....... that horror 3rd person game they were working on ages ago for the PS2 looked neat.