Comic-Con Attendee Stabbed Over Seat Dispute

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Comic-Con Attendee Stabbed Over Seat Dispute

An argument over a seat at the San Diego Comic-Con resulted in an attendee stabbing another in the eye.

As San Diego Comic-Con 2010's Resident Evil: Afterlife panel was coming to an end in the San Diego Convention Center's Hall H last night, everything was peachy dandy and a fan or two was probably high on life after misconceiving a look by Milla Jovovich as amorous. Amidst these feelings of love, a dispute over a seat began between two attendees, which led to a nasty eye stabbing.

Hall H was set to feature the stars of upcoming movies Paul and Cowboys & Aliens next, followed by a Marvel Studios panel on Captain America and Thor, which one attendee may have wanted to see a little too much. On the scene, Sergeant Gary Mondesir of the San Diego Police Department told CBR [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27444]: "Basically, inside of Hall H during Comic-Con, prior to one of the showings, two males got into a dispute. One male attacked the other male, stabbing him on the side of his eye with a pen."

The pen stabber was detained before he could do any more damage. He reportedly became angered when he told the victim to leave his seat and the victim wanted to stay for the next panel. There is no word on if the pen was just a Bic or one of those really fancy ones with a boat that goes back and forth as you tilt it.

Despite the stabbing, Comic-Con programming was only delayed for around 40 minutes. Mondesir was surprised by the violence, saying: "This is extremely rare. The folks that attend here are extremely well behaved ... We have no problem with the attendees of Comic-Con." The attacker was taken to the slammer and will be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

Via: CBR [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27444]

(Thanks for the tip JohnSmith [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/JohnSmith])

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Is there a rule stating that people have to leave after a panel has finished?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I was at the front of the line at Hall H and saw the aftermath of the stabbing. When they covered it on the local evening news I saw my little cousin in the footage twice, it was pretty cool. Honestly for those who were waiting in line, the thirty minute delay of the scheduled panels didn't matter in the long run. When they finally let people through it was a mere 50.... which meant over 5000 people had stayed in Hall H across three panels... we had been waiting in line with several hundred (maybe thousands of others) for four hours to see the Marvel Movie panel. Suffice it to say yesterday was a mess for a number of reasons.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I would ask for another tactical facepalm, but we don't want to overuse that priceless image.

This is pretty ridiculous, though. Stabbing someone for not leaving a seat? He could have asked more nicely, and if that failed, found another seat. If there was something about that chair he -really- liked, he could have explained the situation. Or kicked the other guy in the nuts.

Who here thinks chances are good that the stabber was running low on sleep and high on caffeine and sugar? He may have been a first-time convention goer. Who knows!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Furburt said:
Maybe he got a bit too much into the Resident Evil mood of things and thought he was fighting zombies?

In seriousness, what an incredibly stupid thing to do. My sympathies to the victim, I hope there's no permanent damage.
According to the report last night the injuries were minor.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"This is extremely rare. The folks that attend here are extremely well behaved ... We have no problem with the attendees of Comic-Con."

Well, it's hardly a gathering of ex-cons.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
now the holy nutters will use this by saying" video game's/comics ect make people CRAZY"
in other news, what a wanker.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Fappy said:
Furburt said:
Maybe he got a bit too much into the Resident Evil mood of things and thought he was fighting zombies?

In seriousness, what an incredibly stupid thing to do. My sympathies to the victim, I hope there's no permanent damage.
Still, it WAS a shot to the eyes, and they aren't exactly known for being made of iron... I just hope the man suffers to vision loss over it.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Carnagath said:
So that's what nerds do with their pens.
Yeah, you see a pocket protector, but in fact that is a sheath loaded with the deadly arms of a lethal geek.

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
I'm sorry but... He stabbed someone in the eye - a potentially reeeeally damaging thing, like if it went through enough with enough force - and it's only assault with a deadly weapon?

What do you Americans call GBH? Being mown down with a machine gun and living to tell the tale?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Furburt said:
Fappy said:
Oh good, I'm glad. I'd hate to see the convention's reputation go down because of it.
Woodsey said:
Well, it's hardly a gathering of ex-cons.
You never know with those nerds man, I'm telling you.
Coincidentally (and quite hilariously), I just watched the latest episode of the IT Crowd where Moss is imprisoned.

Darth Brownie

Jun 10, 2008
Good thing it wasn't a butterfly pen, could have been more serious

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/b6e6/