Crytek: We'd Love to Work With Sony

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Crytek: We'd Love to Work With Sony

Could the PlayStation 3 get a Crytek game all to itself? Boss Cervat Yerli says that it's entirely possible.

Prompted by the announcement of Codename: Kingdoms at E3 last month - a game that is being published by Microsoft Game Studios - Yerli says that his company has considered making a PS3 exclusive in the past and may still do so in the future.

Yerli said that as an independent game developer, Crytek could work with whoever it wanted and that while discussions on the subject had come to nothing in the past, either due to portfoilio concerns or simply issues with time, Sony was a partner that Crytek would definitely love to work with.

He added that he wasn't averse to working with any of the console manufacturers and said that he thought that Crytek's strengths were almost always complimentary to any given platform's weaknesses. He said that Crytek had been eager to work directly with a platform holder, and that Codename: Kingdoms was a "natural fit" for the 360.

"We have been talking with Microsoft for five or six years now about working together," he said. "For some time I have said that I don't want to work [exclusively with a] first-party. The time came around where we said maybe this IP, Kingdoms, could be very strong for a first-party platform. We asked Microsoft and they said 'yes, that would be fantastic'."

Crytek is currently working on the multiplatform title Crysis 2, which is due to come out later this year. After that, well, who knows? Crytek certainly isn't limiting its options.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=256963]

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Well, let's just hope Crysis 2 turns out okay. I heard that some people were disappointed by the first.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
JaymesFogarty said:
Well, let's just hope Crysis 2 turns out okay. I heard that some people were disappointed by the first.
People were disappointed by it because it wsa an average game attached to a fantastic graphics engine that no-one could run at its full potential. For some reason people got annoyed when they couldn't run the game on Very High and rated it badly because of it.

*fingers crossed* for Crysis 2 though.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
LULWUT!!?!? SO keeping it only on the PS3...they will sale just s many copies as they did on the PC...how are they going to explain the lack of sales?...

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
That's gay, exclusives from third party companies should be made illegal, epically Cytek. They should have stayed on the PC, they can get their capital from EA, not Microsoft, Sony or if the world ends Nintendo.

Edit: Cytek have made Far Cry and Crysis for PC and shouldn't expand on to consoles for capital, they should stay on the PC for best quality product, I don't regard the PC as a console. E.g Starcraft II can't be done on Xbox/PS.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Sony was a partner was a partner that Crytek would definitely love to work with.
Fixed that for ya.

SomethingAmazing said:
First of all, that's only if they want to go PS3 exclusive. They aren't sure of it yet.

Second, is it really THAT bad if they want to make a PS3 exclusive game? Honestly...
Exactly. I really don't get why it would be a bad thing besides Xbox fanboys crying that they won't get it. It's be the same if Xbox was getting an exclusive. PS3 fanboys would cry.

I just want them to make something that has a story. Any story. At all.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
BritishWeather said:
That's gay, exclusives from third party companies should be made illegal, epically Cytek. They should have stayed on the PC, they can get their capital from EA, not Microsoft, Sony or if the world ends Nintendo.
A bit of a contradiction there no? Saying exclusives should be illigal and then saying Crytek should be PC exclusive?

OT: Never played a Crytek game... But Crytek UK are in charge of Timesplitters now, so how about not making new exclusives and make a new timesplitters... or better, a spiritual sequel with some great mapmaking features...

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
If nothing else, it would be interesting to see how they utilize the PS3's unique structure.
Agreed. Making an exclusive means they can concentrate on just one piece of hardware. They may be able to unlock a bit more of it. Most of the PS3s capabilities are untouched because developers simply don't know how it works. Crytek could be the developer to make a huge breakthrough that changes how games are developed for the PS3. You never know.

Ertol

Jul 8, 2010
I'll have to wait and see how Crysis 2 turns out before I go running for another Crytek game. Personally I thought Crysis had an average story, with amazing graphics. Even though I had problems running it on max settings it was still a solid 8 to 9.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
You don't make platform exclusive games after you've gone multi platform, that's just dumb, unless of course you hate the opportunity to sell more games and being loyal to your fans and would rather take the money from the platform's owner.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
BritishWeather said:
That's gay, exclusives from third party companies should be made illegal, epically Cytek. They should have stayed on the PC
You do realize what you just said there, right? Don't go exclusive, just stay on PC.

Some people...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Well, all I can say:

If they are going on the exclusive route then I hope they take advantage of the PS3 hardware unlike other deveopers being cowards , to show how good/bad binary processing is on that device (console)

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
LULWUT!!?!? SO keeping it only on the PS3...they will sale just s many copies as they did on the PC...how are they going to explain the lack of sales?...
Because then they only have to make it for one system. To be fair, the PS3 is harder to work with then the PC.

That said, you don't just hit a button to make it for every platform.

And besides, Sony would pay them.

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
I like the idea of them making a PS3 exclusive....I usually lean towards 360 when a game is released across the board, so with a PS3 only game coming out (one from Crytek especially :) ) I would have a groovy game to play and show my PS3 some non movie love