Comic Con 2010: Magic the Gathering Tactics Hands On

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Comic Con 2010: Magic the Gathering Tactics Hands On

Combining the gameplay of Final Fantasy Tactics and the Magic: The Gathering card game is kind of awesome.

Read Full Article

Steven Vaughn

Jul 7, 2010
I got a chance to play it too on Saturday. The guy at the demo station said that the game takes place in Dominiria. I asked if the single-player campaign occurs after the events in Time Spiral and figured it must have since the new Planeswalkers are present. He wasn't entirely sure; I take it that he didn't know much about Magic story fluff. In that case it looks like Dominiria is making a good comeback from its mana drought.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats alot more impressive than I would have given it credit for! Nice!

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
I'm a little disappointed by this turn of events. We already have an copy of the card game in video game form (a watered-down copy, but there's always Wagic for the purists), and this is just more of the same with a slight twist*. I wish Wizards could embrace the medium and use different game styles to tell a story rather than trying to put new spins on the basic card game. I think the Magic universe would be great place for an RTS, and with the design of the new planeswalkers, a multi-planar sandbox game could be a good fit.

Also, damn FF: Tactics for making "tactics"= grid-based combat.

Edit: *"Slight twist" may seem like a poor choice of words, but realize that these are the same creatures, with the same abilities, with the same structure, with the same characters, with the same stories, etc. etc. The only thing different about this game is grid-based combat and changing the mana production dynamic by removing land (that last one is not a good thing, IMO, Magic's resource management is one the unique and balancing factors).

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Yosharian said:
It aint an updated version of Shandalar, so not interested.
Ninja'd. Why do the keep messing around with these crappy ideas? It's a card game, make Shandalar again, it was a great RPG/TCG all in one.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
BlindMessiah94 said:
Yosharian said:
It aint an updated version of Shandalar, so not interested.
Ninja'd. Why do the keep messing around with these crappy ideas? It's a card game, make Shandalar again, it was a great RPG/TCG all in one.
Hear, hear!

By Jove that game was buggy though.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Initially I was interested. Magic Online is too popular for there ever to be a decent computer version of Magic, but at least with this spin you could get a decent Magic style strategy game that didn't force you to buy boosters. Then I read it was free to play supported by boosters. What's the point then? For people who like Magic but don't want to play it?

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
OK, so Wizards has released a strategy game, that's all combat-oriented with a bunch of grid-based tactics and is supported by card-based lists of spells/abilities.

Isn't that pretty much 4th Edition D&D, minus the miniatures and played on a computer?

::ducking the flames::

~Cheers!