Rumor: GTA V Going to Hollywood

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: GTA V Going to Hollywood

Sources say that the next Grand Theft Auto game is heading to the home of movies.

The siren call of Hollywood is strong, so strong in fact, that even Rockstar cannot resist it. At least not according to the rumors, which suggest that Rockstar has been researching the Hollywood area for GTA V and plans to announce the game, and its Tinseltown setting, very soon.

This wouldn't be the first time that Hollywood has inspired locations in a Grand Theft Auto game: The Vinewood district appeared in the city of Los Santos in GTA: San Andreas back in 2004. Vinewood was a pretty small part of the game however - just a few blocks - so it would have to be significantly expanded for a full game.

It's hard to see Rockstar limiting the next game to just Hollywood though. Part of the appeal of the GTA games - and indeed one the series' hallmarks - is roaming around a sandbox city, and Hollywood on its own is a bit small to really fill that role. It could be that this is just one location that Rockstar is looking at, or perhaps it plans to use Hollywood as the basis for some new DLC.

Rockstar has refused to comment on the rumors, so we're just going to have to wait and see whether they turn out to be true or not.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/26/rumour-gta-v-is-set-in.../] and Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/rockstar-definitely-researching-hollywood]

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
They might be planning to do all of Los Angeles. That would be pretty cool. I'd like to see another based on Miami though.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Nice, I just hope they do as good of a job with the protagonist as they did with Nico.

Hell, I could even take having Nico as the Protagonist again, although i'm sure not many people would care for that.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Until the word hits the net that the next GTA will be fun I won't give a damn what they do.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Deofuta said:
Nice, I just hope they do as good of a job with the protagonist as they did with Nico.
I'd rather they just gave a faceless robot if that's all they can muster.

OT: Can't they do somewhere OTHER than America?

I'm thinking...

Norwich.

Thealchemistofwhite

Jun 8, 2010
It may be Los Santos, but I have a feeling it's going to be another San Andreas. Even if it was just Hollywood, if they made it bigger it could work as a full game though. I hope they stick to the GTA 3/4 Universe and call it Vinewood.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The funny thing I could see a movie from GTA...just a really, really bad one

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Donnyp said:
I would love to see a Canadian GTA. Half the year the game would be about dealing with ice on the roads lol.
Press X to scrape snow off the windshield.

Press Y to call for help to get your car out of the ditch.

Press A to get Tim Hortons Coffee.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I think it would be awesome if GTA went outside the US for a while. American culture has been chewed through and satirized so extensively already, it would be fun to experience GTA in a completely new setting.
I'd love to play a GTA Moscow/Tokio/Rome/Paris.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Furburt said:
Interesting. Surely, if they want to remake LA again, they should just Los Santos, or maybe just the whole of San Andreas? Do something like they did with GTA4 and GTA3, copying the other, but making most of the stuff new.
Pretty much my theory on the matter... Hollywood could not be the only place the game would be set in...

And for the record... the game would not be called GTA V... like the games that followed GTA III... It would be called GTA: San Andreas or something. Obvioulsy not San Andreas but maybe GTA: Los Santos. If they made Los Santos way bigger and more detailed than it was in San Andreas then it could easily support a whole game. But as far as the names go... Judging by the other games of the GTA IV era (Chinatown wars,The Lost and The Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony) the name may have more to do with what is going on in the game as opposed to merely where it was set.

skorpion352

Apr 6, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
I'd love to play a GTA Moscow/Tokio/Rome/Paris.
id love one in nz. then y6ou wouldnt have to worry about the cops as the worst weapon they have over here is tasers. well, except the "arme offenders squad" which is basically a wimpier version of swat and who mostly sit around doing nothing as they arent needed that much