StarCraft II: Midnight Launch Detected

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

In the dead of the night, dozens of true Raynor's Raiders gathered in a GameStop in Durham, North Carolina to pick up the long, long-awaited StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.

There were at least thirty, maybe forty gamers crowded into the GameStop at New Hope Commons in Durham, NC. At least one of them already had his copy of StarCraft II [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102360-StarCraft-II-Collectors-Edition-The-Unboxing], but many were there in anticipation of one of the most long-awaited sequels in recent memory. While new arrivals trickled in the door as the minutes counted down to midnight, the three earliest in line had already been there for several hours.

16-year-old Sam (Zerg) and Jake (Terran) were true StarCraft kids - they were only four years old when the first game came out, and yet remember playing it shortly after its release. "I really love RTS games," said Sam. "I played a ton of Age of Mythology, and I really love dino-bugs so I just thought the Zerg were awesome."

For him, then, there was no question that he'd be in practically first in line for the successor to what some people consider one of the finest RTS and PC games ever made, especially after learning how to play his beloved Zerg in the game's long beta test. Jake's 13-year-old brother Kier, on the other hand, never played the first title (he was barely a year old at the time, so we can forgive him), but had been pumped up for the launch nonetheless by the two older boys.

Not all of the attendees were as young, though - many were all too aware of the 12-year wait between the first StarCraft and its successor. "The first game came out at a really good time for me," said Rob, 36. "We were 25, my friend just got a house, so I'd lug my 17" CRT monitor over there in the back of my compact for LAN parties."

Matt, 32, who was fourth in line behind the young trio, had also been waiting years for StarCraft II. Though he hadn't been in the beta, he said that he enjoyed coming to midnight launches like this one - and had last been at one like this for Mass Effect 2.

He said that he would go home and immediately start on the Terran campaign to find out what happened. These sentiments were echoed by the young man standing behind him - Jeff, 20, who boasted that he would go home and "play the campaign until 4 AM."

Frankly, that doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. And hey, look! It just finished installing. How about that.

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
I call lies on the 16 year olds saying they played Starcraft at 4 years old.

EDIT: OK, I've been proved wrong on this, I admit defeat and take back, there were no lies to be had

But back on topic, the first game I played properly was Age of Empires, at 8-9, I never won a single game but I used to love building up all those houses... fond memories. I've never played Starcraft though, so I don't plan on getting Starcraft 2

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well guess we can say bye to John for a while. Though he may mutate into a greater being and conquer us all.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
I went to Wal-Mart to pick mine up, there was no line at all. In fact, as soon as 12:00 hit, they put the stand up with a ton of SC2 boxes and I ended up being the first to purchase the game from the store.

There aren't any GameStops or anything of that sort near here, and I wasn't planning on traveling a few towns away to one with the chance that there might be a line.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Got my CE showing up here in the morning, didn't feel like a midnight run was in order, but I'm certainly looking forward to checking it out tomorrow.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Who needs pathetic midnight releases, when you can have the collector's edition delivered to your doorstep in the morning?

I gots me a holographic flash-drive, bitches.

As for my contribution to discussion value, I actually was playing RTSes out the ass when I was 5 years old.

I remember having bitching LAN parties in the back of our house, most of which would last for days upon end, as my parents and their friends got drunk, and just owned eachother at Starcraft, Metal Fatigue, Total Annihilation, and all that good stuff..

Ahhh, the good times..

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
IxionIndustries said:
Who needs pathetic midnight releases, when you can have the collector's edition delivered to your doorstep in the morning?

Isn't the CE like $40 more though? Expensive flash drive...

(I'm aware it comes with other things as well)

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Not my cup of tea personally, however... New Zeland and Australia had it before you!!!

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
dagens24 said:
IxionIndustries said:

Yes, but fortunately, it wasn't my cash being spent on it. So I am satisfied.

Daddy Whorebucks has gots some bling in his wallet.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I could have gone to the Midnight release, but I felt like playing Dragon Age: Origins.

So I did.

I still don't see how cleansing the Werewolves of their curse isn't helping them, but alas.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
IxionIndustries said:
dagens24 said:
IxionIndustries said:

Yes, but fortunately, it wasn't my cash being spent on it. So I am satisfied.

Daddy Whorebucks has gots some bling in his wallet.
Sir, I like your style.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
IxionIndustries said:

As for my contribution to discussion value, I actually was playing RTSes out the ass when I was 5 years old.
I, too, am awaiting the deliciousness of having it delivered to my doorstep. I ordered one day shipping, so I'm hoping that the GameStop they're sending it from had the foresight to mail it so it will arrive here on release date.

And I was also a five year old RTS gamer!

dagens24 said:
Installing as we speak. Plus got a Protoss poster and a mouse pad. Yay?
How'd you get that? I demand to know where I can get one of those posters!

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
John Funk said:
16-year-old Sam (Zerg) and Jake (Terran) were true StarCraft kids - they were only four years old when the first game came out, and yet remember playing it shortly after its release. "I really love RTS games," said Sam. "I played a ton of Age of Mythology, and I really love dino-bugs so I just thought the Zerg were awesome."
Thanks, John. My aching knees weren't making me feel enough like a withered old man tonight.

Apr 28, 2008
Again, I can't stress enough how happy I am I don't have to do my store's midnight launch for this game. I drove by an hour ago, just to check it out. There were like 60 people there.

So glad.

Well, enjoy your game everyone.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
A courier should be bring mine in the next 8 hours. And he is going to end up with a bad case of dead if it takes more than 8 hours.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Damn, still an hour and a half to go on the Pacific coast. I think I'll head out in an hour or so - still got stupid homework to do...

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
John Funk said:
I see what you did there...

And, hey! My pre-order confirmation from Best Buy just came in! Guess I'll be driving 100 miles to town tomorrow to pick that shit up. Awesome! Maybe I'll get my Collector's Edition after all...

NinjaTigerXIII

Apr 21, 2010
AHHH I'm SO pissed, not that Starcraft II is released but that I worked until 1 am today and was right next to the Gamestop that I pre-ordered at and my boss wouldn't let me leave for five minutes because apparently,"The Sequel to THE Best RTS Game EVER!" is not a good enough excuse.

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
John Funk said:
In the dead of the night, dozens of true Raynor's Raiders gathered in a GameStop in Durham, North Carolina to pick up the long, long-awaited StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.
... while in Australia, gamers have woken up and have been playing their freshly-mailed copies for several hours already. :p

(and at least one of them is unimpressed)