StarCraft II: How Is It So Far?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
StarCraft II: How Is It So Far?

Mega-RTS StarCraft II has been out for almost a day in some parts of the world - how is it shaping up?

So, StarCraft II has been out in North America for just over 11 hours now [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102374-StarCraft-II-Midnight-Launch-Detected] - and for longer in other parts of the globe. Now that more than just a select few gamers have had a chance to sit down with the game and its long-awaited campaign, the big question remains: How is it?

We already knew that the multiplayer was superb, of course. I've sunk maybe three hours into the campaign thus far through five or so missions, and it's been a blast thus far. The gameplay is still StarCraft at its core, but I'm really liking how they gradually introduce elements mission-on-mission, with each new unit or structure specifically suited for the task at hand.

One thing that came as a pleasant surprise was the little clickable objects in the various hubs between missions. Click on a photo on the wall, and a short cutscene ensues, whether it's a hilariously propagandist news report or Jim Raynor telling Marine buddy Tychus Findlay about a photograph of a local Zerg hunt. They're just tiny little extras, but they're fun and help flesh out the people on screen, and it's a neat little touch to the between-mission areas that gives them more character.

Also, the Lost Viking arcade cabinet in the Hyperion's cantina is a strangely addictive shmup. I found the loading screen warning absolutely hilarious, but it was three in the morning, so make of that what you will. Terra-Tron does not like you.

So, yeah - I've been having a great time with it thus far, but I expected that. How about the rest of you? If you have the game already (or hell, even if you don't and just want to speculate), feel free to sound off here in the comment thread. As always, though, if there's anything that could be remotely construed as a spoiler, tag it appropriately or be Zerg-rushed.

If you're looking for our official word on StarCraft II, Greg Tito will be reviewing the game early next week, if not late this one.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I'm really conflicted on this one. I've never been successful at RTSes, how accessible is it for someone like me? That collector's edition is very shiny, and relatively cheap. Everything appeals to me but the gameplay.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I have not picked up the game yet, because I never played the first. A bunch of friends are picking up the game though, and so I am pseudo-interested in the game as a result.

I'll be interested in seeing what people say about it.

I have a question, if I'm not a huge RTS fan, but really enjoy a good story with dynamic game play do you think I should pick up this game?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
Anyword on new games from the Galaxy map editor? I know that it has been quite expanded from the one aviable at the beta phase, and with that people made everything from pacman clones, to first person shooter.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
The first thought that came in my head when I read the title was "how would we know?" I have a feeling most of us don't even have the game (yet). Good to hear that it's fun, though. Blizzard never disappoints.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Not G. Ivingname said:
John Funk said:
Anyword on new games from the Galaxy map editor? I know that it has been quite expanded from the one aviable at the beta phase, and with that people made everything from pacman clones, to first person shooter.
Custom games will come. Campaign time is now.

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
totally going to get it as soon as I can, everything I've heard so far says it's awesome.

BTW, isn't the Terra-Tron what they called the Transformer thing that was the SC 2009 April Fool's joke?

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I will be playing the living SHIT out of this game as soon as I get home from work...I should probably consider you know...eating at some point...but I doubt that's going to happen today...

UPDATE:
Huh? Where did the sun go? Anyway, I'm about 5 hours in at this point. Fantastic. Way better than I could have hoped.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
What makes me laugh is how the only comments have been "I don't know, I haven't got it". It's like everyone who has it on the escapist has vanished...

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Hybridwolf said:
What makes me laugh is how the only comments have been "I don't know, I haven't got it". It's like everyone who has it on the escapist has vanished...
That might be a very good sign. Or an abysmally bad one ;-)

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
Hybridwolf said:
I would be gone but I have to wait for GameStop to ship my game to the house... It doesn't get in until Thursday. I know, I should of gone with overnight delivery. What was I thinking? I am just hoping that the campaign is going to kick some butt. :D

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
So far, so good. Right now I'm playing through the campaign and I have no complaints thus far. Later today I might say hello to my old friends the Protoss and mix it up in multiplayer a bit to get a league placement, but I'm going to be hitting the campaign hard until I get it finished.

Ah, it feels good to be back ^^

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I've worked all summer so far to finally beat the first game + expansion without cheating before getting this game. So far I'm on mission 4 of the Protoss campaign in Brood War, and all the practice seems to have paid off. We'll see, though, because I remember vaguely how difficult the expansion was.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Waiting to buy the key for the digital download version (already fully downloaded). Just one more hour.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Just so you know... the word is "propagandistic". I think. Can't say anything on the subject of the game itself.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
T-Bone24 said:
I'm really conflicted on this one. I've never been successful at RTSes, how accessible is it for someone like me? That collector's edition is very shiny, and relatively cheap. Everything appeals to me but the gameplay.
If you think you might want to try out an rts, now is definitely the time to do it. If you want to do the single player, there are multiple difficultly settings available.

For multi, there are a lot of tutorials to guide you into it (unlike the beta, which threw you in to drown) and of course, coming in at the start when most other players will also be new is a help. Even later in the life of the game, people should get sorted out into leagues so that you are only playing against other people of your own skill level. Additionally, one big difference from wc3 and starcraft 1 is that high level players won't be able to easily "reroll" on brand new account just in order to have a bunch of easy games where they destroy people who are legitimately new to the game.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kollega said:
Just so you know... the word is "propagandistic". I think. Can't say anything on the subject of the game itself.
Propagandist, but thanks! Changed it.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
T-Bone24 said:
The exact same here.

oneplus999 said:
T-Bone24 said:
If you think you might want to try out an rts, now is definitely the time to do it. If you want to do the single player, there are multiple difficultly settings available.

For multi, there are a lot of tutorials to guide you into it (unlike the beta, which threw you in to drown) and of course, coming in at the start when most other players will also be new is a help. Even later in the life of the game, people should get sorted out into leagues so that you are only playing against other people of your own skill level. Additionally, one big difference from wc3 and starcraft 1 is that high level players won't be able to easily "reroll" on brand new account just in order to have a bunch of easy games where they destroy people who are legitimately new to the game.
Would it be a good investment to buy this then?

Or am I better off saving the money and getting Diabo 2/original Starcraft?

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
It's fantastical. Shame I'm off out from Thursday 'til Monday so I won't get much gameplay... :'(