University Videogame Will Teach Girls to Say "No" to Sex

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
University Videogame Will Teach Girls to Say "No" to Sex

A new game that's being developed with taxpayer money will use "digital puppets" to teach young women about how to deal with, and avoid, being pressured into sex by classmates and friends.

Peer pressure is a huge factor in the way teens behave, and it can often lead to some bad decisions about important issues like sexual activity and drug use. So how do you teach pre-teens about how to avoid giving in to it? You make a videogame.

The University of Central Florida is currently working on a game designed to teach pre-teen girls about how to resist getting into sexual situations due to peer pressure. According to a local Fox News story, the game is being funded with $434,000 of taxpayer money, and is using some surprisingly advanced technology to make the scenarios as realistic as possible.

The game apparently uses motion-capture technology to turn the in-game avatars into "digital puppets." Instead of using a keyboard or gamepad to control a character's actions, players wear motion-capture suits and infra-red lights track the a the movement. According to Charles Hughes, one of the Computer Science professors working on the game, "...one person controls many characters by jumping into the skin."

The core idea behind the gameplay is that pre-teen girls will be approached by boys of the same age who will ask them to engage in various types of risqué behavior. Players will earn points by not letting these girls give in to the pressure.

The unnamed game is tentatively expected to come out next year, so it'll be a little while before anyone can determine if its price tag was justified.

Source: <a href=http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/orange_news/072610ucf-developing-virtual-game-about-sex>MY Fox Orlando via <a href=http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/07/27/pre-teen-boys-will-hate-game>GamePolitics

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
And exactly 0% of the people will use it. No one wants to play a crappy psa game. This is a waste of the American tax payers money.

*EDIT* Haha, I just noticed the image is from Fox News.

jobobob

Oct 17, 2008
I don't see the point of this, guess I've never really been big on peer pressure.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I can already see the statistics for how well people are doing on this game...

"Pre-teen girls: 90% choose to avoid sexual acts"

"Teen girls: 60% choose to avoid sexual acts"

"Japanese Adult Men: 0% choose to avoid sexual acts"

[sub]I kid, I kid[/sub]

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Why is it just aimed at girls?

Believe me, they're every bit as bad when it comes to forcing guys into sex, it just depends on the person.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
I'd like to be the first to note the "fox news" logo on the bottom left hand.

And as for this, whatever happened to parents talking to their kids about sex, safe sex, and the magic word "no"?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Hm... I agree with ultimateownage... I doubt anyone would buy this. And if more taxpayer money goes into distribution to schools... Yeah no

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Game:

"Do you want to have sex?"

"No"

1000g!

This isnt going to work.. at all...

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
BURN IT! BEFORE THEY FIND OUT!

I'm sure people have a strong enough mind to not be pressured into sex.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Huh... well if it's actually made well, it could be good. About time we had something teaching teens not to give in to pressure instead of freely throwing out condoms and telling them to have fun. But if the game sucks, it'll do little good.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
What an age we live in now where gaming can take over for that petty annoyance that some of us considered 'Parenting'.

[As a point: I've been quoted a lot for this comment, mostly because I assume some people don't read past the first page of comments (with 11 of them I wouldn't either) But the majority of posts have been quoting me as if to educate me, because 'kids have been raised by TV for years now, this is nothing different.' And I know that, I wasn't posting this original post from a position of ignorance, I was a child raised by TV, it's not news to me.]

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Doctor What said:

And as for this, whatever happened to parents talking to their kids about sex, safe sex, and the magic word "no"?
I too noticed that right off the bat as well. And I agree with the doctor as well, why can't parents just frakking talk to their kids about this for the love of the gods?

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
I'm sorry... wut?

Oh America, you never cease to amuse me with your zany schemes.

Still, I guess we're no better with out nutty tabloid journalists!

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
dalek sec said:
Doctor What said:

I too noticed that right off the bat as well. And I agree with the doctor as well, why can't parents just frakking talk to their kids about this for the love of the gods?
Dalek Sec says he agrees with the Doctor. Oh internet, how I love you.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Archemetis said:
What an age we live in now where gaming can take over for that petty annoyance that some of us considered 'Parenting'.
Hey, it's just the next step to actually making sense in blaming videogames for occuring crimes really. After all, if someone gets solicited into underage sex it won't be the parents' fault anymore, but this videogame's fault for not doing its job! Or it'll be the family's fault for not taking their kid to experience this videogame! No person ever needs to be blamed!

...eeghhh

steampunk42

Nov 18, 2009
yeah all of about three people will play this.....nobody will want to play agame that they know will teach them a lesson...maybe if it was made like a horror game....maybe silent hill esque