Michael Jackson Estate Forces Removal of Plant-Eating Zombie

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Michael Jackson Estate Forces Removal of Plant-Eating Zombie

The family of the late King of Pop has taken offense to a Thriller-parodying brain-eater in PopCap's popular Plants vs. Zombies.

"Thriller" music video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6035-Review-Plants-vs-Zombies].

The latest update to PopCap's relentlessly addictive original, however, replaces the dancing zombie's distinctive red jacket (with matching pants) and curled hair for something more disco-themed. MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/07/27/michael-jackson-estate-forces-plants-vs-zombies-update/] reached out to the casual developer and found that the change had been made at the request of Michael Jackson's estate.

[blockquote]The Estate of Michael Jackson objected to our use of the 'dancing zombie' in PLANTS vs. ZOMBIES based on its view that the zombie too closely resembled Michael Jackson. After receiving this objection, PopCap made a business decision to retire the original 'dancing zombie' and replace it with a different 'dancing zombie' character for future builds of PLANTS vs. ZOMBIES on all platforms. The phase-out and replacement process is underway.[/blockquote]

I, for one, am kind of bummed. Sure, I guess a disco-themed zombie is all right, but Michael Jackson's appearance in "Thriller" is the image of a dancing zombie. Considering that "Thriller" remains one of the most popular music videos (and albums) of all time years after its release (and after all of those weird lawsuits aimed at Jackson, too), why would you want to remove what was clearly a fond parody-slash-homage to it?

I'm not saying that the Jackson Estate might not have had legal grounds to stand on, and PopCap is doing the right thing in respecting the family's wishes ... but it just seems counterproductive to me.

(MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/07/27/michael-jackson-estate-forces-plants-vs-zombies-update/])

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Okay, now PopCap had no idea that Michael Jackson was going to die. When he did, it was a rather unfortunate moment.
And the game's been out for over a year! What actual relevance does it have?

But, hell, if they thought it was relevant they would have removed it before now, surely.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Really? I mean I know that by the time he'd died I'm betting most things that were made in regards to him were made with malicious intent.

But I don't see this as more than a simple homage, It's like the article says.
'Think dancing zombie and you instantly imagine Michael Jackson in Thriller.'

If I were part of the Jackson estate I'd be thrilled that someone was inspired enough by his works to implement what is a fairly clever homage to them man in his prime.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Am I completely misunderstanding something, or doesn't this fall under parody clauses, allowing them to use it anyways? I mean, I understand respecting the famalies wishes by removing it, but I think they could keep it if they wanted too.

John Funk said:
I'm not saying that the Jackson Estate might not have had legal grounds to stand on, but it just seems counterproductive to me.
I totally agree. You'd think the family would see this as an homage, and allow it to continue. I guess I just don't understand.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Yeah, I'm disappointed that Jackson estate is going to be such fun-killers.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I see why they were doing it, they might've thought it was disrespectful to the guy and since he's dead well you get the idea.

But take it from our perspective: Michael Jackson made Thriller, the best thing with zombies in it commited to film that doesn't have the name George Romero on it, and you don't expect we're not going to reference it?

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
This is both hella and lame. I am disappoint, Jackson Estate. VERY DISAPPOINT.
As am I. I am greatly disappoint with them. Actually, I am disappointment.

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
tomtom94 said:
Okay, now PopCap had no idea that Michael Jackson was going to die.
Or did they? Mwahahahahahahahahaha!

No your right they didn't. Stupid lawyers trying to get money over pointless things! Who'd have thought?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I guess it would make since and be a bit disrespectful if they had added it after he died, but the game was released a month before this happened and was obviously meant as an homage, not making fun of the fact that he died.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This is ridiculous, I can't stand how easily offended people are. Its NOT MICHAEL JACKSON, it's a god damned parody a regular zombie from the game drawn with a red jacket and black hair. I guess they'll have to take Bill Muray out of Zombie land when he dies huh? Don't want to offend someone after their dead right?

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Susan Arendt said:
This is both hella and lame. I am disappoint, Jackson Estate. VERY DISAPPOINT.
I am in complete agreement with regards to this clearly pointless move. Killjoys.

Fatal-X

Feb 17, 2010
lol!
When I saw this for the first time in the game, I knew that something like this is going to happen :D.