Fans Create Stunning Unofficial Gears of War 3 Trailer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fans Create Stunning Unofficial Gears of War 3 Trailer

This haunting Gears of War 3 trailer might not be officially from Epic, but you wouldn't know that by looking at it.

The video you see above is not an official Gears of War 3 trailer from developer Epic Games. Oh sure, I wouldn't blame you for thinking it was for a second - not only does it look remarkably professional, but it feels like a Gears trailer. All of the elements of the trailers [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8] are in place: quiet, moody music over a bleak picture of the COGs fighting for their lives.

As official as it looks, though, it isn't. Heck, it wasn't even made using Gears of War 3 assets - the entire thing was apparently made using pre-existing art and models in Epic's Unreal Development Kit. The video is the work of a collaboration between the Duo Group [http://www.theduogroup.com/trailers/gow3-what-have-i-become/] and several other teams like Kootra, Treadster Media and Sound Wizardry, and it's abundantly clear that whoever was working on this worked hard.

Maybe I'm biased, though. No, not in favor of Gears; I'm biased in favor of Johnny Cash. The trailer uses his haunting rendition of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" as the accompaniment du jour, and the result is a poignant mix that celebrates the camaraderie of the COGs as they Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night.

In other words, Epic needs to hire these guys to make official teaser cinematics, and stat. Even if their facial expressions never change, this has me more sold on the game than the official trailer did.

(Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/unofficial-gears-of-war-3-trailer-is-officially-awesome-180156.phtml])

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
That was very cool, I really need to get my hands on the UDK if this is the kind of stuff you can make with it. It seems like a great asset for Machinima.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
damn, that definalty looks like the kinda promo vids epic likes to have for gears

at the end I would have thrown in some choppers or tanks or something for the gears side but something tells me this was made with the pc release of the original gears so it didnt really have much of that to work with, not like gears 2 did but it was only released on the 360 I think, still awesome job

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Wow, that's really well done.

The only thing that bothered me was Cole's blank stare through out the vid, but other than that it was great.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I'd like to see it with proper face animations (a small nitpick), but it was reallllly good.

like, amazingly good.

Just the perfectly still face took me out of it whenever it should have been moving.

Willis_D

May 27, 2009
That was epic (joke intended). The people that worked on that are officially awesome.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
When i first read the title i thought "Jesus. They must more dedication than Epic to have made an actual game" then i realized it was a trailer, and a pretty good looking trailer at that. Im a bit on the fence with this game so maybe i might get it.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
That was seriously an awesome trailer, that was just great! It actually was giving me chills at the end.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
That was a great trailer. And for some reason, my original post disappeared.

So yeah, I want UDK if it lets people make machinima like this.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
It was good, but I could definitely tell that it wasn't official. At the end, it started to look a lot like some Halo 3 machinima, with everyone running in a straight line towards the enemy.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I see there was double post of this.

Like I said in the other thread. Aside from Cole's blank stare, the vid was fantastic.

Once again great vid.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:
Using Hurt as a theme?

Super crazy awesome.

I may not have Gow, But I loved the trailer.
I was quite surprised they used "Hurt" as the theme as well. And while I may not like Gears at all, I must say I'm impressed by this trailer.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Gah any video that uses Hurt I am on board with! XD

Very well done and like most gears videos quite emotional.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats pretty impressice. Epic should definetly be bringing them on! They know how to make a great trailer, heh

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
These men should..

No..

They have a right to make the new Gears of War launch trailer.