Should Facebook Be Worried?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! The plan is working. Soon every popular internet website will destroy one another (except for the Escapist of course) and Snooty Enterprises Inc reigns supreme over the Info Superhighway.
/nonsensical rambling.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Well, Google is interested so something is going to change. Either way I still like Google a hell of a lot more than Facebook.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
So, in short, Google is attempting to kill Facebook by beating it at its own game. Fuck yeah! I don't really care who wins, but if it tears the Facebook Community apart, I'm all for it. I reaaaallly don't like that site.

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
I've never really liked Facebook, but I'm not usually into social networking sites.
But my thought in this is that I'm going to need to replace my T-shirt that says, "No, I don't have a F*cking Facebook!" With one that says- "No, I don't have a F*cking Google-novel!"
Or whatever they call it. I bet it's not much more sophisticated than that.

Vestsao

Aug 24, 2009
Google can't beat Facebook with this generation.

If everyone has already established themselves on Facebook and they have all their friends together and all their photos why would they go go through the trouble of reestablishing all that all over again on an entirely new system which many of their friends may not even be a part of.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Vestsao said:

If everyone has already established themselves on Facebook and they have all their friends together and all their photos why would they go go through the trouble of reestablishing all that all over again on an entirely new system which many of their friends may not even be a part of.
A couple years before Facebook, people used Myspace. You'd find it funny how quickly people will switch given to whatever the current trend is.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
I predict that won't go well for Google. MS has tried time and time again unsuccessfuly to get a foothold on social networks ever since hi5. So Google has two options. Buy facebook or find some other niche. Like MS did with xboxlive.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
IT seems key to the itnernet at the moment is...social netwworking gaming

edthehyena

Oct 26, 2009
Pugiron said:
Gaming did not create Facebook. Facebook gave its massive customer base games to keep them on facebook longer during the day. Google has jys become Microsoft, and will learn the same lessons Microsoft did the same old way: the hard way.
This. I'm kinda skeptical that the Zynga gamers are all that dedicated. I always got the feeling they play the games because they check facebook anyway. On the other hand, a lot of people might be slow to give up all the money they've sunk into their farms and whatnot. Hard to say how this one will go, but I'm interested to see how it falls.

Also, articles like this sound like they were paid for by google. It's only good to jump to them if everyone does, and articles that assume everyone will jump will only ensure that everyone thinks everyone else will. (This paragraph ended up harder to read than I had intended :( )

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Go for it, Google. I love watching a company commit suicide.

If the article is to be believed, Google is setting up to be the next Microsoft. Sherman, set your way-back machine for about 15 years ago. Microsoft is expanding in all directions. Their gross revenue is rising faster than a party balloon underwater. So fast and so much so that not a single non-pre-existing company can start up, and no other company can survive.

Enter: The US Government.

The FBI steps in, serving Microsoft with an ultimatum. The United States has laws that forbiding the creation of monopolies. Mircosoft has two options, relingquish control of several facets of their business model, or shut down completely with heavy fines. Microsoft let go of several significant patents and proprietary holdings, and other companies brought competition back into the market.

Now we have Google, a giant on the internet and growing daily. With each new site that gains sufficient popularity, Google aquires them without a second thought, expanding their business and simulatneously pushing out the competition. And now Google wants to corner the market on social networking. Google is steadily working its way up to total ownership of the internet. Google has partnerships with ebay and amazon, which already dominate the online shopping industry. If this isn't a monopoly in the works, I'm not sure what is.

Google needs to watch their step. All the money in the world can't save them when the US Government decides that they want it.

Awesomnity

May 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Google needs to watch their step. All the money in the world can't save them when the US Government decides that they want it.
As it happens the US Government is not all powerful, hush silly forum person.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Vestsao said:
I'm sure they could hire Robert Pattinson or Taylor Lautner (or both) for a photo shoot standing around wearing Googlebook shirts.

bobdevis

Jul 22, 2010
Google has been running experiments that involve advanced web browser gaming (check out WebGL if you are curious), so yeah, they might set up a compelling game platform.

The assumption that Google automatically dominates everything is ridiculous though. Google has/had social experiments that never grew big (Wave, Orkut) and their tablet offering (ChromeOS) hasn't exactly taking over the world either.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Awesomnity said:
ShadowKatt said:
As it happens the US Government is not all powerful, hush silly forum person.
I shall not hush, and the US Government certainly is all powerful, within the United States. And Google is based in the US. Think what you like, but the laws are written so convolutedly complex that the Government could shut them down if they so chose, and imprison any of the executives in the process.

It may not necessarily be right, but it is possible. Whether the FBI has to go digging through the execs and companies financial records, or they simply ran their company a little shoddy for a couple of weeks, they can find or create problems out of the smallest things.