Question of the Day, August 5, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, August 5, 2010

In Should Facebook Be Worried? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/7943-Should-Facebook-Be-Worried], John Fennebresque discusses Google's plans to develop a competing social networking system to rival Facebook. Do you think Facebook can be overthrown? What could Google offer that Facebook does not? Will you be switching sides?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Social... networking?
That presupposes that the users are social...
A.K.A. I don't use them.
I'm not social, and neither are the majority of the people who actually use them >.>
At least, not socially acceptable...

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I already have a Facebook profile. I'm not going to join another site, invite all my friends over again and upload all my pictures, just to stalk childhood crushes on 2 different sites.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Google's past attempts at social networking have been poor messes. So Facebook wins by default?

Though if we're going by any social networking sites, LinkedIn is far and away the most useful.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
If anything, Google would be the one, even though it is kind of a "lesser of two evils."

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
I'm not a huge fan of change. It's less than a year since I was finally persuaded to join facebook. So I'm not likely to join googles version if I can help it.

That being said, if everyone else completely abandons facebook for google, I'd probably follow.

Jul 22, 2009
I'm using Facebook at the moment and it's fine.

But if google created a social site I'd jump on straight away.

This is Google they just simply walk into mordor and after their entry into browsers with Google Chrome I pretty much trust anything they do will be top quality and always getting better.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Who needs a social networking site?

E-mail still works fine...

I haven't checked my Facebook in over 2 months.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
Although it might be fun to see a reasonable competitor to Facebook, I don't think it will happen.

Google's version of Facebook would probably just be an inconvenience, because I'm willing to bet that most to the people that would go for Googlebook or whatever would be the people that want to use a social networking site, but don't want to use one that is so popular purely based on their principles of being non-conformist. Many people might try it just to see how it is and compare it and they might switch, but I personally have seen absolutely no issues with Facebook and therefore no reason to change.

I'm sure though, that more people (like me) just care whether or not it is functional as a social network. I imagine that more of their customers could be those that don't have a Facebook yet, and would be new to having a social network online.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Not sure, really. I'm already well installed at Facebook, which all my friends are, so by that logic I would only switch to Google's if all my friends went, and if it's better of course.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
I'm a perfectly capable non-social person. The Escapist and Youtube are as far as I really care to go.

lslines

Jul 26, 2009
I use my social networking sites for social networking, and my web search sites for websearching. Well, and for professional email accounts. I prefer these things separate.

I'm already comfortable on Facebook, it does everything I need it to. Switching over to Google? Not bloody likely. That would involve it somehow making social networking better, which seems hard to imagine since it's not like it's the most interesting thing or requires any intuition, as well as every single person I currently have friended moving as well.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Really? Facebook people?

After all the shit the Head of facebook is heard to have said and the fact that several countrys are suing Facebook cause of privacy infringements of people WHO DON'T EVEN HAVE AN FACEBOOK ACCOUNT.

Okaaay..... X-P o_O

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I would definitely give Google's a try, but right now I just use Facebook. Since Google's isn't out yet, it's hard to determine

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I hav a facebook, but, not really for a good reason...I just dont do it if i can help it

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I use none, and I'm surprised how many people are the same has me. I thought everyone and their dog uses Facebook.