Kinect's Role in Fable 3 Uncertain

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Kinect's Role in Fable 3 Uncertain

Lionhead's Peter Molyneux apparently changed his mind about including Kinect functionality in his upcoming RPG.

<a href=http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281032257&sr=8-1>Fable 3's support for <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_tr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281032958&sr=8-2>Kinect has been a lynchpin holding up Microsoft's claim that the new control system will have <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.205366-Hardcore-Will-Adopt-Kinect-First-Says-Microsoft>appeal for hardcore gamers. However, it looks like Microsoft's going to have to find a different mainstream game to use as a vehicle for the technology: Lionhead's Peter Molyneux has announced Fable 3 won't actually work with Kinect when it comes out.

Speaking on the Engadget Show, Molyneux revealed that Fable 3 won't be shipping with Kinect functionality. Molyneux declined to give a reason for the game's lack of Kinect support, but he later revealed to Joystiq that whatever was going to be put in the game just wasn't good enough to be included yet.

Molyneux did, however, explain that Kinect content might be included later on down the line, presumably as some post-launch DLC. When Joystiq contacted Microsoft PR about the statements, it turns out that Microsoft itself wasn't aware of Molyneux's specific comments but, "it reaffirmed that the legendary designer is a strong proponent of Kinect, and has spoken of its use in Fable 3 before, but also told us that [Microsoft PR] can't discuss what role the hardware will play in the game 'at this time.'"

Source: Joystiq

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Kinda makes you wonder how they were gonna implement it.

I was kinda hoping for some interactivity in the "making a kid" actions. Hip-thrusts for the win.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Build the game first and make the gimmick DLC?
Good plan, Peter!

That wasn't sarcasm, either.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Thank god! I want to play Fable 3 but if it required Kinect then I was just gonna have to pass.

This is good news!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Hmm, what this?!
Is he doing something...Intelligent for once!? Maybe there is hope for this one.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I see that in a different light. Clearly, Petey is already making sure that his original promises and hype cannot possibly be reached.

Molyneaux powers, ACTIVATE!

Milford Cubicle

Nov 17, 2008
I think the least amount of "proper" games on Kinect the better. Then hopefully it will die a quiet death and Nintendo can keep that pointless niche of the market.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I guess PM saw the same tech demos that we did of Kinect... um, not working properly. I assume he's just trying to avoid the same initially crappy implementation reminiscent of Sixaxis and the like ("oh look I have to tilt the controller upward to aim grenades! How... er, immersive?").

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
i made a thread already, but meh this ones better.
well good ridance kinect.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Molyneux got my respect from Fable 2 because I wasn't expecting anything of it, so I got more than what I was expecting. I'm glad that he isn't going to add it at first, cause that would be a pain...

~

Controllers for the win.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
You see Mr.Molyneux discovered that a game like Fable requires a technology we in the future like to call "Buttons".

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Dragonforce525 said:
Well that's good, makes me want Fable 3 a little bit more now.
Remember back when Kinect was still NATAL and MILO was getting hit on by that pretty blonde? Back then when Fable 3 was going to be completely controlled by NATAL (or so the rumors would have you believe)? This is why I didn't want Fable 3. Now that Natal isn't going to be used for Fable 3, I want the game. I should wish upon stars more often. First I hear about the spanking RPG, now I get THIS!

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
I'm glad about this. I'm going to get this for my Xbox, and I was afraid I was gonna miss out on stuff because I refuse to buy a Kinect for the price of the console itself.