Rumor: PC Features Cut From Dragon Age 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: PC Features Cut From Dragon Age 2

Mod support and the aerial camera in Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Pc/dp/B001IK1BWC/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281360812&sr=1-2], as BioWare says the game sold mainly on console so it's "going the way of the audience."

Unlike most games developed simultaneously for consoles and the PC, the two versions of Dragon Age: Origins featured numerous design differences intended to take advantage of each platform's action-oriented [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89750-Dragon-Age-Origins-For-Consoles-Will-Be-True-Conversion], up-close-and-personal combat, while the PC release was intended to be more of a tactical experience and included a toolkit and extensive mod support. But those key features have apparently been eliminated from, or at least changed in, Dragon Age 2, which is being designed first and foremost for console users.

In a translated interview with French gaming magazine Baldur's Gate [http://www.jvn.com/blog/joystick-le-blog-officiel.html]-style" aerial camera that gave players a commanding view of the battlefield in Origins. "For budgetary reasons, we focused our work on a 3rd person view, that asks for very detailed and nice textures so that the player can admire the game with a close-up view," he said. "With an aerial view we should cover much more ground and so [must] create other textures. Now, the game mainly sold on console, so we're going the way of the audience."

He also revealed that BioWare [http://www.biowarwe.com] doesn't intend to release a toolset for Dragon Age 2. "To be short, DAO 2 will not have a toolset," he added. "I think that DAO 1 toolset is very powerful but very complicated."

The response from the fan base was predictably intense, eventually leading Laidlaw himself to respond to the furor on the BioWare forums [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4376174/37]. "The tools we're using to make Dragon Age 2 are very, very close to the tools you guys have used to make your mods for DA:O. They're not identical, as we've made a few in-house improvements, but they're almost identical. As such, there isn't a new toolset to release, per se," he explained. "While we won't be releasing a toolset update in tandem with Dragon Age 2, we ARE investigating what it would take to update the community toolset to match ours, along with providing DA2 content in the future."

"I can confirm that we will not be doing a tactical view on consoles, though we are looking into some expanded party control that I think will make console players quite happy," he continued. "On the PC, however, we are still working with the camera to keep the key elements of the tactical experience there."

"While we likely won't pull as far up as we did in DA:O, I have always felt that the key to tactical play was actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders, which is what we're tuning now," Laidlaw wrote. "So, this means you can still maneuver the camera around the battlefield and issue orders from a remote location, just as you could in Origins."

Don't feel bad if his explanation strikes you as somewhat less than crystal-clear. Even Laidlaw admitted it's all a bit hazy at this stage. "As you can probably tell from my phrasing, all of this is a bit in-flux right now, so things may change between now and ship, but I wanted to update you guys on the current direction of things," he added.

It's possible that something was lost in translation, or maybe Laidlaw is just very good at damage control. Whatever the case, the best move for gamers at this point is probably to follow the advice of Dragon Age Lead Writer David Gaider: Relax, take a breath and wait to see [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102071-Dragon-Age-Writer-Suggests-That-Everyone-Just-Calm-Down] what the game has to offer. Of course, that's also the least-likely move that anyone's going to make.

Dragon Age 2 is scheduled to come out in March 2011 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Source: BioWare forums [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4376174/]

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Dropping mod support for PC games is stupid. Awesome mods, like KOTOR's USM are half the reason I buy PC games in the first place.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I've never played Isometric RPG's before but have been planning to for awhile since it looks quite cool, it dissapoints me that DA2's PC versions won't have it or Mod support. Well at least, the DA:O PC versions still has it.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
I bet there are more who play the PC version, but less that buy the PC version.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
The more I hear about the game, the less I plan on getting it. I'm willing to bet the release they have about will make me forget this game totally, which is a shame because I absolutely love DAO

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
First off Dragon Age on the consoles was total garbage. Compared to the PC game it was almost a different game entirely. Secondly, why is it that everything new I hear about Dragon Age 2 seems to be just another reason NOT to buy it? I don't know what it is but it seems that Bioware is almost tripping over themselves in finding new ways to fuck up this game. So far I've heard nothing that will make me want to play it, nevermind buy it.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Can't say I care, 'cause although I do have the PC version, I never used mods, or the aerial camera.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Wow i thought people were overexaggerating when they said consoles hurt gaming. lowest common denominator i guess.
If they say its bacause the pc version sold less ( wasn't it the best selling platform o. O )
then lets see how that improves when im not getting that version.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
If dragon age 2 doesn't support mods, Then somewone makes a mod for mods. geez...

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
So basically anyone buying it on PC is going to get console port, and here I though Dragon Age was going to be Biowares main PC RPG. I smell sellouts.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
And why not make bad God of War rip off out of it when we are at it?

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah I'm not too pleased by this. I will not be buying this on a console but if they fuck with the PC version too much then I will be forced to not buy it at all (especially because of Project $10 as it doesnt count as registering dslike for a game only to still Pay money to the publisher for it)

i hope that the changes dont break the PC experience but this sounds less and less good

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I think all the faith I had left in Bioware is now pretty much gone.

I'll see it in the final product (whether I bother to buy it or the reviews etc), but stuff like this doesn't go down well with me.
I'm all for platform equality but I don't want my prefered platform to be 'nerfed' because of preferencial treatment. Again, I'm basing that on limited info.

I still trust in Blizzard and ID though.

N.B Thats alot of I's!!!

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Furburt said:
Oh no.

Oh no.

OH NO.

Sigh, I'm finding it harder and harder to maintain my enthusiasm for this game. I hope this isn't true, I really do, because I love Bioware, and I haven't disliked any of their games yet, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Well, hopefully what Laidlaw was saying was true and not just PR bullshit. I really hope so.

No offense to any console users at all, I just prefer it on PC, and I'd like to play it as a PC game, not as a console port.
main reason: GREED !

because they don't want you to play mods (which could replace Stupid DLC) and because they prefer it to be as lucrative as in consoles (no free mods on consoles the bastards!).
so you are right about prefering PC over consoles.

wellhereiam

Jul 4, 2010
I'm overjoyed that PC elitists are getting their commupance. Too bad the non a-hole PC gamers are getting screwed too.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
AHAH. One more victory for the console gaming dirtbags over the PC master race.

Honestly though, they've got until next march to plan their next move, so it wouldn't be too surprising to (eventually) see some kind of update to the regular DA:O toolset so it's compatible with the sequel. And then have everyone pay for it.