Gorilla Tries to Play Nintendo DSi XL

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gorilla Tries to Play Nintendo DSi XL

Do not accidentally drop your Nintendo DS at the zoo or a gorilla might pick it up and beat your game of Zelda.

The greatest piece of evidence that connects the human race to gorillas has just been discovered at the San Francisco zoo. While photographer Chris Spicuzza was nearby, a little boy accidentally dropped his Nintendo DSi XL [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DSi-XL-Midnight-Blue-DS/dp/B002I0GU2M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281385457&sr=8-3] inside the gorilla pen. Rather than rage out and smash the DSi XL, a gorilla picked it up and started to play.

Okay, it didn't actually play the thing, but given a few weeks it looked like the gorilla could have figured it out. He picked it up, looked at the screen, and inspected it thoroughly. A baby gorilla even came up and tried to steal it from the adult gorilla.

The story has a happy ending, as the gorilla eventually was tricked into trading the DSi XL to its trainer for a shiny apple, which is actually more than he would have gotten had he traded it in at a game store (I kid). It still worked, though it was covered in gorilla slobber and had a few more scratches than it did before it was handled by an animal that could pick up a car. Nintendo really builds solid hardware eh?

Spicuzza's blog [http://spicuzzaphotoaday.blogspot.com/2010/08/you-got-donkey-kong-on-this-thing.html] contains a progression of photos and a short video that shows off the funny event. I wonder what DS game has the highest score amongst gorillas on Metacritic?

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
That's pretty cool. I'm also surprised that the gorilla even figured out how to even hold it without breaking it.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
i hope it didnt have a violent game in it, or the gorrial will turn into a murderer.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
That's very interesting. I wonder if someone could donate a DS or a PSP and see if they really could learn to play simple games.

Course, it might make the zoo a little less interesting, but at least the animals would be entertained for a change.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Nintendo really builds solid hardware eh?
Nintendo makes by far the most durable hardware out there, and that's what I love most about them.

Gorilla Tested. Gorilla Approved.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Survived Ape mauling! Now thats something they could add to the package! And, I bet given some time a gorilla could use it, if not at least in a simple fashion

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
So, we need to get Jane Goodall on this new and exciting area of video game research.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
HeySeansOnline said:
Show me one playing a round of Starcraft 2 and I'll stop saying we should eat them.
I always wondered what gorillas tasted like. Care to share a favorite recipe?

As to this particular tidbit of news, good to see the big guy have something mixed up a little bit in his life. I have a gecko here at home who is fascinated by my speakers, but completely ignores the screen.

I also remember seeing a video on the superior short-term memory of chimpanzees. A researcher taught them to press numbers in sequence, and then made it so the labels vanished after the first one was selected. The chimps beat out the humans every time. They could have all sorts of hard-core gaming fun humans would utterly fail at with that kind of skill.