Plants vs. Zombies Addiction Leads to Prison Escape

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Plants vs. Zombies Addiction Leads to Prison Escape

One of the best distractions to use on a prison guard turns out to be PopCap's Plants vs. Zombies.

A prison break in Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines could have been avoided were it not for casual gaming. Five inmates were reportedly able to escape while a prison guard was busy trying to protect his home from zombies.

In Plants vs. Zombies [http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Zombies-Game-Year-Limited-Pc/dp/B003O21A2I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281403793&sr=8-2], that is: A tower defense-style game that tasks players to defend their homes from waves of invading zombies with powerful plant defenders. The inmates said that escaping from the prison wasn't hard. The guard actually left the keys lying around while he became engrossed in a round of Plants vs. Zombies, which could potentially go on for quite some time if he was doing well enough.

I'm imagining quite the humorous situation, with the inmates tiptoeing behind the guard as he exclaims things such as: "Stop!" The inmates think they're caught, but he's only referring to the encroaching zombie attack, and they resume their slow, silent movements to make it out of the prison. That's how I think it went, anyway.

Four of the inmates were caught soon after the escape, but one still remains at large. It's said that he was fortunate enough to hide in the back of a garbage truck waiting for him once he made it past all of the prison guard's plants.

A word of advice to all you aspiring prison guards out there: Don't leave the cell keys within reach of the inmates. Isn't that pretty much Prison Guard 101? Once you follow that simple advice, it'd be perfectly fine to forget your troubles while you defeat zombies dressed in disco gear. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102504-Michael-Jacksons-Plants-vs-Zombies-Replacement-Found]

Source: GamePro [http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/opinion/view/20100805-285053/Mystery-of-the-missing-inmate]

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
That's actually fantastic, although it sounds like someone might be losing their job...

Is PvZ really that addictive? Haven't actually played it yet. Never have really enjoyed a tower defence game.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
tlozoot said:
That's actually fantastic, although it sounds like someone might be losing their job...

Is PvZ really that addictive? Haven't actually played it yet. Never have really enjoyed a tower defence game.
I wonder how dangerous that one guy is...

Also PvZ is awesome, get the demo on steam if you can.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Albert_Wesker657 said:
so... who thinks the game will get blamed for this incident?
*sadly raises hand*

Unfortunately, if Fox has anything to say about it, that's exactly what will happen.

dicai

Jun 4, 2009
Now they should try escaping through the backyard, or at night or from the roof.

Apr 28, 2008
As much as I want to berate the guard, I can still sympathize.

Plants vs. Zombies is addicting as hell. And just so awesome.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Casual games are insanely hard to tear yourself away from, as horrible it is for me to admit... I understand, but dang... you're on duty at a prison...

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
When life forces you to decide between zombies on your lawn, and criminals on the street, you know it's time to make some hard life decisions.

Hint; this guy did it wrong. (but oh so right.)

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
So who here thinks there is now going to be a prison themed zombie in the next plants vs zombies?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Albert_Wesker657 said:
so... who thinks the game will get blamed for this incident?
*sadly raises hand*

Unfortunately, if Fox has anything to say about it, that's exactly what will happen.
*also raises hand*

There are people out there devoted to proving that video games are destroying the world I'm afraid.

OT: I know video games can get really addicting[footnote]I stayed up until 3 am to beat the final Russian Mission in Blitzkrieg 2 and paid for it at work today[/footnote] but you are a guard. Your job is to make sure people don't escape. You should always know where your keys are. You should not be so engrossed in a game that you can't pause, look around and check on the prisoners every 30 minutes or so.

Bravo on the timing of the escapees. I mean, I hope that last guy gets recaptured but they obviously memorized this guards routine.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Another reason I hate casual gamers.

Nah, I am just joking, I have nothing against them.
It's interesting, I wonder what has/will happened to the guard, and after how much time the caught three of four prisoners...

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
If the prisoners could literally just walk out, it probably wasn't a high security facility. Hopefully they were in prison for nonviolent crimes.