Mr. Las Vegas Comes to New Vegas

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mr. Las Vegas Comes to New Vegas

Las Vegas legend Wayne Newton is set to appear in the upcoming RPG Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Collectors-Pc/dp/B003N0YCDA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281450335&sr=8-3] as part of a stacked cast that also includes Matthew Perry, Michael Dorn, Danny Trejo and Kris Kristofferson.

War never changes, so the saying goes, and apparently neither does Vegas. Not even a nuclear apocalypse could dim the city's lights and not even a post-nuclear alternate future could keep Wayne Newton, the man known as Mr. Las Vegas [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Las_Vegas], from being there.

"Even in the post-apocalypse, there's still Wayne Newton," said Executive Producer Jason Bergman. "I think he got a kick out of that."

Newton will appear as the voice of a radio DJ that was recorded hundreds of years earlier, presumably before the Great War, that continues to broadcast to the current day. Bergman said the role was created specifically for Newton's first-ever appearance in a videogame.

"He is Las Vegas," Bergman said. "He really brings that extra touch of Vegas class to the game... And whether he's reading news stories about super mutants or introducing a Dean Martin song, his personality comes through."

In order to ensure that true Vegas vibe, Newton said that when he read his lines, he'd "do them just a little bit different, each one, until we hit on what it was the guys wanted... where it is Wayne Newton, but it's not Wayne Newton, you know?"

Joining Newton in the bright lights of the desert will be Matthew Perry, Zach Levi, Kris Kristofferson, Michael Dorn, Felicia Day, Danny Trejo, Rene Auberjonois, John Doman, William Sadler and of course Ron Perlman, who will once again take up the mantle of narrator. Yes, you can color me impressed. Fallout: New Vegas is scheduled to launch on October 19 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: USA Today

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I've never heard of the guy. And I'm fully aware of the magical, enchanted place that we call Las Vegas.

Edit: Hm, maybe he is to Las Vegians what Fredrik Reinfeldt is to Swedes; something everybody knows about even though outsiders haven't got a clue who it is.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I've never heard of the guy. And I'm fully aware of the magical, enchanted place that we call Las Vegas.
Same here. Although i guessing that people in the Vegas area probably know who he is. I'm hoping he provides more information than 3 Dog did in Fallout 3 and with more music!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I know who he is. You Escapists are even more out of touch with pop culture than me. And I'm out of touch.

Also, Matthew Perry is in this game for one reason:

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
well all that matters that Worf (Michael Dorn) is going to be there looking for my back...so I hope.

the only time that I have heard of this guy was in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and thats about it....hes a singer?

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
If you've never been to Vegas, have never looked at what is going on in Vegas, doesn't live in the US and/or is younger than the age of 25, then it's acceptable not to know who Wayne Newton is. He is a Vegas icon, like Siegfried and Roy...

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
I have heard of wayne newton, but I could care less about him being in the game. I am more interested in Zach Levi being in this game which is awesome, because his show Chuck is my favorite TV show that is still running.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
While I also have never heard of him, I like that they're bringing in what Vegas has. And hey, having never been there, it's my first time, so if I had been there, maybe I'd have heard of him

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Oh, you kids these days. Putting Wayne Newton in New Vegas is awesome. You might even say it's a coup, at least from a marketing perspective. Like Bergman said, he is Las Vegas. And if you want to really enjoy everything New Vegas has to offer, it might behoove you to learn a thing or two about the real deal. (Including stuff like this.)

And for the record, yes, Michael Dorn will apparently be reprising his role from Fallout 2.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
Mr. Las Vegas?! I mean no disrespect to Mr. Newton, but what about Siegfried and Roy? Or Penn and Teller? Flamboyant piano players? Elvis? Showgirls?

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Hm, maybe he is to Las Vegians what Fredrik Reinfeldt is to Swedes.
Or what Jerry Lewis is to the French.

Edit: Also, I think the actual gentilic is Los Vegans.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
That's a fairly impressive list of voices. I'm looking forward to this game!

What, no zombie Liam Neeson?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That is awesome! Should be fun to see him actually in the game! Add some...realism to it, heh

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Oh, you kids these days. Putting Wayne Newton in New Vegas is awesome. You might even say it's a coup, at least from a marketing perspective. Like Bergman said, he is Las Vegas. And if you want to really enjoy everything New Vegas has to offer, it might behoove you to learn a thing or two about the real deal. (Including stuff like this.)

And for the record, yes, Michael Dorn will apparently be reprising his role from Fallout 2.
Thank you. I'm amazed at how many people don't know who Wayne Newton is. They probably know some of his tunes but don't know the singer. Personally, I don't think there's anyone more fitting to be New Vegas' resident DJ. Best casting since Tom Waits (who should definitely be the dj if we ever see a Fallout in LA or NY) played the devil in Imaginarium.