Chronicles of Spellborn Shutting Down, Nobody Cares

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Chronicles of Spellborn Shutting Down, Nobody Cares

Playdom has confirmed that the MMOG Chronicles of Spellborn [http://spellborn.acclaim.com/] will be shut down next month, resulting in anguished and angry protests from tens of gamers.

It's been a little more than a year since Chronicles of Spellborn launched in North America, following its European debut in November 2008. The ride has been rough ever since; developer Spellborn Works went bankrupt in June 2009, which led to a relaunch of the game as a "free-to-play" title. But the troubles continued, as publisher suspicions [http://www.acclaim.com/] of the worst when the servers went offline without warning earlier this month.

It was an email from Games.com [http://blog.games.com/2010/08/06/playdom-plans-to-shutter-chronicles-of-spellborn-in-september/] that eventually cleared things up and also led to one of the more bizarre instances of good news/bad news I've seen in recent months. According to the response from Playdom, the servers were down temporarily due to a "technical issue" that had nothing to do with a planned shutdown of the game - but the game is going to be shut down.

"Yes, we do plan to close the game at the end of the month," a Playdom rep wrote. "The servers were down on Monday, but that was due to an unrelated technical issue; the game should be back up now until the end of the month."

Like just about everything else related to Chronicles of Spellborn, its pending closure has the distinct look of a wrecking train. There is still no official announcement of the coming shutdown on either the Spellborn website or the support forums [http://phpbb.acclaim.com/spellborn/index.php?sid=430e92a87759df02d52d60de3a87c7a6]; by all appearances, if Games.com hadn't sent that email, nobody would know that the plug is less than three weeks away from being pulled. That's the kind of classy approach to customer service that you just don't see every day.

The obligatory "Rescue Spellborn" internet petition [http://www.petitiononline.com/tcos/petition.html] has been up for four days and has garnered, at last count, a total of 99 signatures. The Chronicles of Spellborn is fully expected to close on schedule.

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
WOW... I never even heard of it! I really thought I kept up with gaming news :( So sad to see another amazing title gone forever!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Why can;t they release the server code,exe,ect as a package people can run themselves and have it so it can be distributed and ran for free so they still have all for profit rights to it?

I guess its to casual friendly(uncomplicated) thing to do for these days....

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Can't say I've heard of this one much outside of Steam advertisements.

I'm glad I didn't get much out of them, in light of such news.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Heh, great title. Its true too...and, unfortunatly I bet it will happen for alot of MMO's that just, dont get the support

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
This article contains more information on Chronicles of Spellborn than I knew existed. Good night, forgotten game, and may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Ahlycks said:
DPunch4 said:
WOW... I never even heard of it! I really thought I kept up with gaming news :( So sad to see another amazing title gone forever!
something tells me this game was not an amazing title...

and the fact that disney had something to do with it probably did not help its reputation. that does not exist.
Disney bought the company out after its release, and Disney isn't so bad anymore, I'd wager that Disney are currently better than Dreamworks which is odd because Dreamworks was half of Disney yet didn't have the stigma.

Shame for the people that put time and effort in this game, was this a subsciption based service? I assume so.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
The game its self was not bad. It had some well worked and inovative features. It was let down by bad publishers really but imo it could have been good. Thats the third f2p mmorpg that has closed this week.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
It look like something I would have at least tried it after it became F2P, but now that it is closing I find it a huge shame that all that effort has gone to waste.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
cursedseishi said:
You know, I've been finding that I've come to rather dislike a couple of the writers on this site.

There was nothing wrong with the game, the artistic style was great, the combat was fun, the skill-deck system worked.

The only issue I had personally was with the beginning quests, thats it. Its death isn't because of the gamers, but because of piss-poor handling on Acclaim's side.

Hell, I find both the title, and the little quip, dead wrong, and rather insulting. But hey, I liked the game, so I must be a nobody, whatever.

And ahly, I believe Disney came into acquiring the game later in its life, seeing how Acclaim was bought. Again though, the lack of any advertising rested solely in Acclaims lap. They deal with F2P games, and had no interest in doing what was necessary to support a P2P, they just wanted the guaranteed monthly income.
If it was such a fantastic game then it probably have been more popular.

As for the title, yes, 99 people is *technically* a larger number than zero, but in the grand scheme of things it's still nothing. Okay, that was a joke, but you get my point.

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
This article made me smile. The title alone is golden.

A MMO barely anyone knows about is shutting down... Maybe thats because NO ONE KNEW THE GAME EXISTED. Aside from 99 angry beavers.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Man, I was in the really early and very exclusive closed beta for this way back in 2006!

oranger

May 27, 2008
A cautionary tale? always market your product...customers won't come to your door.