Alan Wake Sequel Will Up the Weirdness Factor

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alan Wake Sequel Will Up the Weirdness Factor

How weird will Alan Wake 2 be? Very weird, according to the game's writer.

Recap time: After over half a decade in development, Alan Wake was released, was still in the running for a potential sequel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7524-Review-Alan-Wake].

While no sequel has been confirmed, however, writer Mikko Rautalahti thinks that Alan has more stories to tell. "There will be more Alan Wake, if we have anything to say about it," he told Xbox 360 World [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259392]. "It's a bigger story than just one game, and we want to make it very weird and scary and wonderful."

That's not to say that Rautalahti thinks that the first game was an incomplete story, though. "I'd like to say that if our offices were wiped off the face of the Earth and all you got was that first game it would work just fine as a standalone product ... I know some people don't see it that way but it's not intended as a huge cliffhanger, it's an ending to that story."

And yet, the Remedy team knows exactly what next challenges the beleaguered writer will be facing next, should a sequel get greenlit despite the first game's lukewarm sales. "We have a very definite story arc and the weird and horrible things that happen to him, and what he needs to do in the end to put things right."

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259414])

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Here's hoping for AW2. It's one of my favorite games in a long time, and it likely would have done a lot better if it hadn't launched next to RDR.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Yes to this. Loved the first, wished it was longer. Just hope they go with better lip-syncing next time. That bugged the shit out of me!

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Haven't played Alan Wake yet and don't intend to do so anytime soon. I rather spend my money on titles with a multiplayer component as well.
Wow... quite the contribution to the thread...

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
TPiddy said:
Wow... quite the contribution to the thread...
Yes it was. He was explaining that a key selling point to some gamers is a multiplayer mode.

So yes it was actually. Don't be condescending, especially when you're in the wrong.
No, sorry. There is no contribution here. Would you like it if I posted under every game I've never played, just to tell the people there I've never played it?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, if they can overtake the Japanese in weird, I will be impressed...as, it will take that to weird me out!

Would love a sequel!

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
More weirdness? I have no problem with this. Bring on the next Alan Wake, pretty please!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I would have been happy to assist with bolstering the sales figures of Alan Wake, as Remedy has had a pretty solid track record in my book and what I saw of the game always looked interesting, but Microsoft decided it didn't want to sell this game to me (and then offered an insulting answer as to why there would no longer be a PC version). So much for that then.

Sort of hard to be excited about a potential sequel to a game you didn't get to play because a suit somewhere decided it should be a console exclusive.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
TPiddy said:
No, sorry. There is no contribution here. Would you like it if I posted under every game I've never played, just to tell the people there I've never played it?
I'm impartial, waste your time on it for all I care.

The key thing of the guys post was that he didn't buy the game because it did not have enough variety outside a single player mode.
Not sure why you are defending this guy, but at any rate, that's like me going to a Starcraft II thread and saying, "sorry, I don't play this cuz it's an RTS". Same level of relevance. Alan Wake was intended as a single-player experience and this guy chose to tell he us that he didn't buy it because of that. Zero contribution.