Ken Levine Confirms New "Shock" Reveal?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Ken Levine Confirms New "Shock" Reveal?

The studio that brought us BioShock has confirmed it'll be unveiling its new project tomorrow.

At the end of July, Irrational Games sent out a flyer that asked the media [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102343-BioShock-Team-Revealing-New-Game-Soon] to "please save the date" of August 11 for an event, but we didn't know why. Would Irrational use the date to reveal a new logo or something else that would disappoint those of use waiting for information on the studio's top-secret "Project Icarus?"

Not a chance: Ken Levine has confirmed that Irrational Games' current project in development will be revealed on August 11 to the press, which will come in the form of a trailer and a live demonstration. On the following day, the trailer will be released to the public on WhatIsIcarus.com [http://www.whatisicarus.com/], a teaser site that has been running for quite some time now.

Over the past few weeks, WhatIsIcarus.com has featured a dark, cloudy background with small white circles appearing in a different spot every day. Now, we see that the circles were revealing hints of a hidden figure 8 (or sideways infinity symbol), as the site shows the circle in motion today. Members of the Irrational Games forums [http://irrationalgames.com/community/forums/irrational-general-discussion/whatisicaruscom-changes-any-thoughts/] have worked out a full image of the symbol from the website, not that it's helping speculation at all.

So what does the figure 8 mean? Is it a reference to a game that Irrational or Ken Levine has previously worked on, including BioShock [http://www.amazon.com/THIEF-Collection-Project-Deadly-Shadows-Pc/dp/B0011EA24I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281468239&sr=8-1]? Is it a mega-teaser for something completely new? If it's a game from a previous series, the silence on anything related to a new System Shock title seems to indicate that it's the series' turn to make an appearance, with Thief and BioShock already taken over by other studios.

Ken Levine hopes that people will see the trailer prior to reading any news on the new game, saying: "Trust me, there's a reason." Irrational Games really knows how to build anticipation, huh?

(Irrational Games [http://irrationalgames.com/insider/announcement-message-from-ken-levine/])

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Noooooooooooooooo!

Leave System Shock 2 alone, dont sully it with your poxy remakes.

Heres looking at you hacker

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Please... Please... Please....

While my instincts are crying Nooooooooooooooooo, the fangirl in me is left hoping and drooling.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Anah said:
Please... Please... Please....

While my instincts are crying Nooooooooooooooooo, the fangirl in me is left hoping and drooling.
For which remake? Thief? SS2?

MongoBaer

Jun 17, 2010
Negits on BS3. BS2 killed the series. BTW, I loved BioShock. It didn't need a sequel.

I'm leaning more towards a theif reboot or a new system shock game. Can you imagaine what those games would look like with today's tech?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A new project? Well I think that it was already pretty clear that Thief 4, or Thi4f was in development for quite some time now.

I still have to play the first games though. They won't work on my computer but they look sooooo good.

Somehow I hope for the BioShock prequel I've been thinking about for quite some time now. My personal perfect BioShock game. Fat chance that it'll be that, but I can dream right?
MongoBaer said:
Negits on BS3. BS2 killed the series. BTW, I loved BioShock. It didn't need a sequel.
Oh no! The source material is alive and kicking and there's still so much left that's completely untouched and full of potential for a fantastic game. We haven't even seen Rapture before it's fall yet! We haven't seen Rapture alive. Oh I'd kill for that...

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
If I know the gaming industry now-a-days, this is a sequel to something. My money is on system shock.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Well Bioshock was a damn good spiritual sequel to System Shock 2, so if there is a company that could make a decent sequel/ remake of a past franchise, then presumably these are the guys?

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Pipotchi said:
I already cried bitter tears after Deadly Shadows, thank you very much. Then I replayed the original two just to feel less dirty. And the though of Thief 4 sends unpleasant shivers down my spine; though I will try to be a good Taffer and wait out before passing final judgement.

In short: For the possibility of a System Shock remake.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Would love a System Shock 3! Or 2 remake! As long as they didnt butcher it!

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Anah said:
Pipotchi said:
I already cried bitter tears after Deadly Shadows, thank you very much. Then I replayed the original two just to feel less dirty. And the though of Thief 4 sends unpleasant shivers down my spine; though I will try to be a good Taffer and wait out before passing final judgement.

But Deadly Shadows had the Shalebridge Cradle didnt it? That was a great level if memory serves. Two is clearly the best mind but 3 wasnt a shocker

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Pipotchi said:
But Deadly Shadows had the Shalebridge Cradle didnt it? That was a great level if memory serves. Two is clearly the best mind but 3 wasnt a shocker
You do have a point. And it had Garrett in it. Those were the saving graces; however it just didn't live up to... oh what am I saying. It couldn't have. I just set the bar too high ;)

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Anah said:
Pipotchi said:

Thief 4 was already announced a while ago (http://www.thief4.com/) so, if its a revival of an old series, I'm guessing System Shock (though Freedom Force was kick-ass)

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
If it's System Shock related, it better be hard, if the game is not going to make me cover into a corner and sleep with the lights on, I don't want to play it. :mad: