Real Yakuza Cut Yakuza 3 Down to Size

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Real Yakuza Cut Yakuza 3 Down to Size

Just how authentic is Yakuza 3? According to real-life Japanese gangsters, it's more realistic than you might assume.

Sega's Yakuza videogames have proven to be fairly popular, so far, but no one really expects them to be true-to-life representations about what life is like as a Japanese gangster. Reporter Jake Adelstein, however, wondered about the realism of the games' portrayal of yakuza operations and sought answers straight from the source. As a result, Adelstein's curiosity led him to sit down with real-life yakuza members to get a review of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-3-Playstation/dp/B0030GBSUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281474635&sr=8-1>Yakuza 3, based on the game's authenticity. Surprisingly, the game actually contains more realism than you might think it would.

The yakuza reviewers, who operated under pseudonyms, seemed to enjoy a number of aspects about the game. According to "Midoriyama", the use of ramen as a power-up made sense. "I like the fact that you power up by eating real food," he told Adelstein. "Shio ramen gives you a lot of power - CC Lemon, not as much. It all makes sense."

Something that many people may be surprised to learn, though, is that game protagonist Kazuma's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96219-Yakuza-A-Lighter-Kinder-Breed-of-Gangster>kid-friendly nature and history of running an orphanage wasn't all that far-fetched. "Kuroishi" actually knew someone in the Yakuza who also ran an orphanage. "Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know."

So what didn't measure up? The fashion, the fighting, and the localization for the North American release. According to Midoriyama, Kazuma's dramatic style of dress was pretty unimpressive. "He's supposed to be a former boss of the Inagawakai," Midoriyama notes, "and he dresses like a chinpira (low level yakuza punk). He's a yakuza, not a host."

Meanwhile, the game's fighting was considered ridiculous. According to Kuroishi, "No yakuza is going to run around getting into fistfights like that. Especially not an executive type. He'll wind up in jail or in the hospital or dead, maybe even whacked by his own people for being a troublemaker."

However, the worst part of the game was apparently the changes that were made during the localization process. "Shirokawa" was disappointed to hear that his favorite parts of the game - mahjong, the sexual massage parlor, and the hostess clubs - were all cut from the version released here in the United States. "I feel sorry for the people who bought the American version," he said. "Sega USA sucks."

Source: Joystiq

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Uncanny, This popped up earlier in the forums and I said it was worthy of the newsroom.

A genuinely interesting read assuming its all on the level, or not in the case of the Yakuza I suppose

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe, They even say Sega USA Sucks!

But, I can see what they mean about the Executive type...seems silly someone like him would get so...involved

Fun game though!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
This is one of those times when reality is as weird as fiction. I wonder how he got in touch with Yakuza guys.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
vansau said:
"Shirokawa" was disappointed to hear that his favorite parts of the game - mahjong, the sexual massage parlor, and the hostess clubs - were all cut from the version released here in the United States. "I feel sorry for the people who bought the American version," he said. "Sega USA sucks."
why were these cut from the game it's already M rated really no point in cutting things out

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Well, its official. Sega USA sucks... what? Are you gonna disagree with the Yakuza? Didnt think so, and neither will Sega. They will accept defeat and move on. :D

Dr Bob

Mar 17, 2010
Golem239 said:
vansau said:
"Shirokawa" was disappointed to hear that his favorite parts of the game - mahjong, the sexual massage parlor, and the hostess clubs - were all cut from the version released here in the United States. "I feel sorry for the people who bought the American version," he said. "Sega USA sucks."
why were these cut from the game it's already M rated really no point in cutting things out
Because of American mums.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Now this is interesting. Definitely a unique critical perspective on a video game.

I'm glad the clothes were pointed out, I bet the real deal is a lot less "J-pop fashion" and more "don't mess with this guy". I wonder how many films are correct?

Kinguendo said:
Well, its official. Sega USA sucks... what? Are you gonna disagree with the Yakuza? Didnt think so, and neither will Sega. They will accept defeat and move on. :D
While I disagree with Sega USA for their localization choices to, I'm not sure if foreign crime syndicates are at the top of their list of people to please via video games. If they are however maybe we can get something really great next time if they take this guy's points to the drawing board.

It's the original developers who can be pleased with themselves... to an extent from what I've read of course, not being all right.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Golem239 said:
vansau said:
Too japanese?

I mean, it's sad when Japanese gangsters said that Sega USA SUCKED.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Man, I read this article earlier today.
Absolute gold!
I just wonder what the Jewish guy had to do to get in good with Yakuza higher-ups from 3 different groups.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Wow that's some...unusual review but certainly an interesting one, probably one of the most interesting reviews I've ever read. It's great to know how close a game to reality is. That's something that a "real" reviewer can't tell. Besides, it's really cool that these guys volunteered to do that.

Blue Horn

May 16, 2010
Really cool article, makes me wanna dust off my PS2 and finish playing the first Yakuza.