Double Fine Unveils Trick-or-Treat RPG Costume Quest

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Double Fine Unveils Trick-or-Treat RPG Costume Quest

Earthbound is a favorite of mine, and Costume Quest definitely has the same kind of vibe even though the screens only show the hero battling against goblins and not skateboard punks. With Double Fine's sense of humor and off-beat development history, I think adventure-RPG fans have a fun experience to look forward to here.

(1up [http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3180798])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Now that is intresting! And ill be keeping my eyes on this...and is that a Mecha I see? Epic!

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
YES! We need more quirky games like Earthbound. Although... Mother 3 was good, it was really depressing.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
This looks GREAT! I've about had my fill of OMG EPIC and OMG SERIOUS games this past year. "Don't hold your candy pail like that. It looks desperate." I keep forgetting how much I miss dry humour. I could use something light and cute and snarky. Definitely keeping an eye out for it.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Looks cool.

It'd be awesome if it was 4 player local 1 screen co-op and you'd run around Streets of Rage style until you come into a battle upon which everyone gets to control their characters in turns FFVI style. Hell, I'd even settle for online coop.

It's good to see original ideas out there in the vast array of robotic marine ninja games in which you battle aliens in space. I've read the girls comic and while I don't like her art, I dig the idea.

I think that the one on the left is a pink unicorn, but that's just a guess. If it does happen to be the case I know what costume my hero'll be wearing. Sweet.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Sounds a little like an episode of South Park where the kids run around dressed as ninjas and the art style changes to show them as they imagine they are. Could be interesting.

BeastofShadow

Jun 29, 2009
Turn based combat is not something I can stand so that dims my intrest in this a fair bit.
The little girl on the left is a unicorn. She has a mane and if you look above the titles it's a bit of the cool costumes and hers has hooves

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
I think that the one on the left is a pink unicorn, but that's just a guess. If it does happen to be the case I know what costume my hero'll be wearing. Sweet.
I'm pretty sure it's a unicorn, too.

By the way, this game sounds like fun, and I suspect gameplay trailers and the like are not far off. Looking forward to seeing more of this game.

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
...one with a horn that I can't make out.
It's a unicorn! [small]I hope it's a unicorn.[/small]

OT: This looks pretty cool, I'll probably pick it up when it hits XBLA.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
You had me at Double Fine.
While this is really all I need to say, I would like to elaborate by saying that the concept sounds pretty awesome. I get excited when I see games that look like games. IE, games that do not list "ULTRA REALISTIC VISUALS" or "ULTRA VIOLENCE" as bullet marks on the box.

Also...Double Fine.

Squeee

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
Its double fine. I die if I don't buy it.

Psychonauts is one of my favorite games ever, and brutal legend was pretty good. Double fine has a good track record so far.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This sounds like it will be cool, I'm an RPG fan, and I like the guy who did it a lot even if Brutal Legend was a general disappointment (and by this I don't mean it being an RTS, in general it just wasn't quite what I was hoping it would be).