Adorable Okamiden Trailer Induces Warm J-Pop Fuzzies

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Adorable Okamiden Trailer Induces Warm J-Pop Fuzzies

If you've been having a morning sadly devoid of adorable god-puppies, then the latest Okamiden trailer will probably make you want to hug something.

Given how beloved the original Okami was by those who played it, it's understandable that there'd be some wariness about the upcoming handheld sequel Okamiden. Not only is it being made by a different team than the first game, but the platform itself is completely different. Not only is the DS considerably less powerful than the PS2 and Wii, but the screen is smaller - could the signature classically-Japanese Okami art style still flourish in teeny-tiny-vision?

Well, as we reported at E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101453-E3-2010-Okamiden-Hands-On], the game feels like it's in good hands as far as the gameplay is concerned. And this latest teaser trailer from Capcom should lay to rest any doubts that Okamiden won't be able to duplicate the first game's hand-painted style. For a DS game, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Set to the J-pop strains of Kii Kitano's "Hanataba," the trailer is less about showing off how the game plays and more showing off how it looks - and if you can read Japanese, there's probably some plot information there, too. I can't, so I'll just be over here in my corner just marveling at how expressive they've made tiny protagonist Chibiterasu despite the platform's graphical limitations. There's something just inherently joyful about this trailer, and it gives me warm fuzzies.

Maybe I'll end up buying one of those plushies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101828-Okamiden-Plushie-Makes-God-Puppies-Squeezable] after all.

(Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/08/10/check_out_the_latest_j-pop_infused_japanese_okamiden_trailer])

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
SQUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3333333

I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! X3333

So Adorable!!!!

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Awwwww... There so cute when their puppies. That was almost mean how adorable that was, if I had a DS, I would get this without a second thought.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
HA! I've already got 2 of those plush puppies pre-ordered and the Game.

So YAY for friends in Japan

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MAGIC PUPPIES!

Well, no secret I'm stoked about this game, not only because it's STUPID AMOUNTS OF ADORABLE, but also because it just looks to be an intelligent and well-crafted experience.

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
Too much cuteness! I need to go lie down. In all seriousness, I might get a DS for this game.

MomoHime64

Jul 4, 2010
Hell yes! I am so glad they are making a sequel! I may die from cute overload on this one though...SQUEE

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Excuse me for one minute...

*SQUEEEEE*

Ok, im fine now.

That is the most adorable thing ive seen this week, Im annoyed I sold my DS to a friend now...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
D'awwwww!!! Cuteness! I wanna snuggle with him and the play the game XD

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
Kitano Kii? Ahahahahahahah

hey guys let's have an under-20 actress do our game's song so we can pull in more creepers

Tel_Windzan

Dec 18, 2008
Dang it, Chibiterasu! I said I'll buy your game when it comes out! Stop being so painfully cute!

Seriously though, the game does look really good! I liked the look of Okami, so seeing being done on the DS is really nice. Still am kind of looking forward to the gameplay of the game a bit more because that's what really sold me on Okami. From what I have seen though on it, it looks like they keeping the original gameplay but maybe adding new brush moves, which I have no problem with!

Also, I'm just guessing that the little blue-haired child is the offspring to the Queen of the Dragonians in the first game? It kind of looks that way to me. Either way, I do not might that so much because I kind of like the Dragon Palace in the first game and if having the child in the game means more of that, them I'm good with it!

I think the video also showed some pre-order merchandise as well? I saw a paint-brush, which I guess could be a fancy stylus for the DS and I'm guessing an art book for the game? I do not really know, as I can't read Japanese myself but that's what it looks like to me.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I predict mass nerd rage if they mess up the great divine intervention cutscenes.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
If you've been having a morning sadly devoid of adorable god-puppies, then the latest Okamiden trailer will probably make you want to hug something.
Must... resist... urge... to... HUG!

Omega V

Apr 21, 2010
So. Damn. Hugable! D'awwwww whose a fuzzy wuzy puppy? whose a fuzzy whitlle puppy?

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While I will probably not play this game even if I do get a 3DS, I have to admit that the art-style is rather impressive and makes good use of DS's capabilities.