PETA Protests Take-Two Circus Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PETA Protests Take-Two Circus Games

Take-Two Interactive [http://www.peta.org/].

Announced in April, the games will be developed for the Nintendo 2K Play [http://www.wii.com]. "These upcoming games add an entirely new interactive dimension to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey experience," said Ringling Bros. Producer Nicole Feld. "Now circus fans of all ages can continue to experience the thrills and excitement of Ringling Bros. when they play these new games at home."

But that doesn't sit well with PETA, which has serious issues with circuses in general and Ringling Bros. in particular. PETA says it contacted Take-Two with information about the Ringling Bros.' long history of animal abuse including undercover video footage, but since that warning was ignored it's now asking concerned animal lovers everywhere to send a message to Take-Two CEO Ben Feder protesting the game's development.

"I was shocked to hear that Take-Two is partnering with Ringling Bros. to create a circus-themed video game," PETA's pre-generated message says. "Video games might be a fun way to pass the time, but circuses are no fun for animals. Ringling has a long history of animal abuse and neglect. To get elephants to 'perform,' Ringling Bros. rips babies away from their mothers and stuffs them into poorly ventilated boxcars, forcing them to travel and perform for up to 50 weeks out of every year. Elephants are beaten and gouged in the most sensitive parts of their bodies with metal-tipped bullhooks."

I've always been a bit dubious toward the treatment of animals in circuses but as usual, PETA's overarching radicalism and, let's be honest about it, craziness makes it impossible for me to really get behind this effort. The group's concerns about animal welfare in circus environments are legitimate; its methods of addressing those concerns, unfortunately, are not.

The Take-Two/Ringling Bros. protest is available beating the crap out of a turkey [https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2165&c=pfttrb09&s_src=ppblog] I can't wait for the chance to lay a whomping on a whole herd of elephants.

via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5252276/peta-targets-ringling-bros-game]

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Well I did have some reservations about this game anyway, considering the life that circus animals seem to lead, but PETA always seems to be counter productive, and doubtless more people will be interested in this game now it's been given the publicity. So well done PETA, you've probably increased sales of this game by a fair amount.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
How Peta can get people to take it more seriously: Stop doing stuff like this.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
best thing PETA can do with this game is stfu. Its almost certainly gonna be crappy shovelware, giving it free PR (which seems to be all PETA do these days) is just gonna serve the ebil circus masters interests.

AlgorithMan

Jan 29, 2009
yeah, thats a good idea... because... why should kids learn to like animals? it totally makes sense for them to oppose such games... hey, why don't they oppose zoo tycoon?

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
Bored Tomatoe said:
*sigh* Shut up PETA, people stopped caring about what you have to say a long time ago...
I agree completely, I actually say that PETA should have someone on this website looking at everything with the word PETA in it to see if anyone gives a shit.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
PETA's full of so many jackasses it makes all animal rights activists look bad. Have any of you tried researching animal rights for a school paper? It's much more difficult than you would think, there are so many crazy's that totally get off on animal rights my god

Bailoroc

Apr 26, 2009
On one hand, I feel that circuses (is that the pural of "circus"?) are obsolete, cruel things to animals, really are, in fact, tainted with animal abuse, and generally are unnecessary (not to mention loud and obnxious).

On the other hand, I hate PETA and their media stuns, not to mention that I can only agree with, maybe, 10%, no, make that 5% of their dogma (Do I want animals to have more protection, especially from domestic abuse? Sure, but you don't give them effing human rights like you do people!)

So, it's a shame that the protest wasn't done by, say, an animal "rights" group that didn't have their collective heads up their asses, because PETA is a prime example of such a group.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
I wonder what they had to say about the cow level in Diablo II...

Games that feature killing people aren't causing a social meltdown of chaotic murders, just like a game that features circus shows won't have our youth running amok in the streets, abusing the neighbourhood elephants.

The days are numbered between now and when they'll be lumped in with Jack Thompson, wallowing in social dismissal. Every time I hear about them, they get even more ridiculous, which is a shame, since animal rights are a legitimate concern that should not be associated with their failure.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
PETA's credibility is such that they could claim the sky is blue or gravity exists and I'd still look outside or drop something to confirm. Too bad they haven't figured that out yet.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
i agree with them, but why worry? no one will buy this shitty shovelware anyway...

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Soo... They have issues with the Ringling Circus, but protest the GAME about the circus instead? What fucking retards.
And the fact that they care about VIRTUAL animals, bits of code, ones and zeroes, and their treatment still picks at my get-a-bazooka-and-paint-the-town-red reflex.
PETA is worse than the Spanish Inquisition...

abysk

Apr 12, 2009
i can understand the abuse issues they have with real animals, but this is video game. As in not real. As in no actual animals can be abused. Soooooooo logically these PETA people are complaining about people harming animals that exist only in one's imagination.....

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
I gave up on them with pet slavery. Ok I have pets. I feed them, Protect them, Clean up after them, and expect nothing in return. Yeah there slaves alright.

Plus the fact that the co chair women uses Insoline. I protect tested on and taken from pigs.
Here reason. "I need my life to protect animales." If you arn't willing to die for you cause shut the hell up.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
There are so many news posts about PETA getting mad at games that you could just make a sticky forum topic and drop them all there instead. I'm sure the wells of gamer news isn't really as dry as to warrant these.

Oh, and I guess this is topical: http://rumblo.com/cc/comics/cc-coolfrog.gif