Ubisoft Abandons DRM for Steamworks With R.U.S.E.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Ubisoft Abandons DRM for Steamworks With R.U.S.E.

Ubisoft seems to finally be clueing in to the fact nobody likes its DRM methods and is launching its next big game with Valve's Steamworks, instead.

It doesn't seem like anyone is actually in love with Ubisoft's DRM system that requires players to always be connected to the internet, including Ubisoft. The publisher has revealed that <a href=http://www.amazon.com/RUSE-Pc/dp/B0020KY02M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281623242&sr=8-1>R.U.S.E., its upcoming strategy game, won't use their controversial DRM and will instead rely on Steamworks to verify a game's authenticity.

If you end up picking up the PC version of the game, you won't need to be connected to the Web whenever you want to play it. Instead, you'll only need to login to Steam once. A member of the Ubisoft team announced this decision <a href=http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=4821071447&m=7471048678&r=7471048678#7471048678>via a post to the Ubi forums:

"When R.U.S.E. is released in September, it will benefit from Valve's Steamworks API to offer the best community experience to players. Consequently, a Steam account and internet connection will be required to activate the game, as per Steam policy. For this reason, R.U.S.E. will not use the Ubisoft protection. Single player can be played offline."

This is presumably a test to see how well Steamworks will protect Ubisoft games from piracy. Hopefully, Ubisoft will continue using it, since Steam is a much better system than the one that made games unplayable when <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98927-Ubisoft-DRM-Authentication-Servers-Go-Down>DRM servers would crash.

Source: <a href=http://www.cinemablend.com/games/R-U-S-E-Won-t-Use-Ubisoft-DRM-26302.html>Game Blend via <a href=http://gamepolitics.com/2010/08/11/ruse-dumps-ubisoft-drm-steamworks>GamePolitics

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Beautiful. I personally wouldn't mind if Steam ate the entire AAA title market.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Obviously people are going to ***** about steam being DRM in its own right... but still I prefer it to "Lose your game if you lose your connection".

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
tryed the free weekend, it was good but didnt run well on my computer.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Uh-huh..yeah, i don't care about Ubi anymore since they buttfucked us pc gamers. A nice start for a apology would be calling Splinter Cell: Conviction a failure and promising to return to the stealth gameplay the series made big.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
John Funk said:
lacktheknack said:
Beautiful. I personally wouldn't mind if Steam ate the entire AAA title market.
Monopolies are good things now?
If I'm going to be faced with a monopoly, I could certainly do worse then Steam.

Besides, there will always be smaller or indie titles that go without DRM (see: Sins of a Solar Empire).

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Finally they're done with that shitty DRM, I wish they pulled it from their older games but bah.

Apr 28, 2008
Wait... so they're giving it up? I know they didn't say this, but it implies it. Honestly, while Steam is a bit of a hassle, its far, far better than what Ubisoft does.

I really hope this means they'll give it up. Because I really, really want to start buying their games again. You have no idea how much I want to play Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, and get Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

I would still prefer no DRM at all though.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Headline is incorrect: HAWX 2 will ship with UbiDRM, as with the vast majority of Ubi's forthcoming PC games. It appears the developers got used to the Steamworks API during the betas, and decided not to double-dip with DRM. False alarm, but buy this game before you resume the boycott.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Thank God they are getting rid of that horrific DRM, it seems I am one of those people who loves steam and finds nothing wrong with it. It is a much better alternative to Games for Windows or Impulse.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood will not have DRM? Please?
It will have UbiDRM, this is a one-game only thing, and the headline is horribly misleading.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
The Valve's Steamworks API does exactly the same thing as the Ubisoft DRM, so why is this news?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Baldr said:
The Valve's Steamworks API does exactly the same thing as the Ubisoft DRM, so why is this news?
Steamworks doesn't boot you if the connection drops. It's still not news, since it only apply to RUSE: HAWX 2 will have UbiDRM.

May 25, 2010
Irridium said:
Wait... so they're giving it up? I know they didn't say this, but it implies it. Honestly, while Steam is a bit of a hassle, its far, far better than what Ubisoft does.

I really hope this means they'll give it up. Because I really, really want to start buying their games again. You have no idea how much I want to play Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, and get Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

I would still prefer no DRM at all though.
Playing Ubi games on PC has never been a good idea. It's just an even worse idea now. Consoles, my man. Consoles.