Activision Unveils Black Ops Collector Editions

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Unveils Black Ops Collector Editions

Activision has unveiled the Hardened and Prestige edition of the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Pc/dp/B003JVF728/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281632289&sr=1-3] and as expected, they are equal parts cool and expensive.

You all probably remember the Prestige Edition of last year's Activision [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2-Pc/dp/B00269QLJ2/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281632330&sr=1-3] has decided to do the same thing with Black Ops.

Behold! The Hardened Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Hardened-Playstation-3/dp/B003WFLGNU/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281632441&sr=1-3] of Black Ops includes a custom, limited edition Black Ops medal, a Black Ops avatar outfit, four exclusive co-op multiplayer maps and a premium SteelBook case. It seems nice.

For the real collector, though, there's the Prestige Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Prestige-Xbox-360/dp/B003WFLGO4/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281632468&sr=1-5], and this is where we separate the men from the boys. Along with all the goodies included in the Hardened Edition, the Call of Duty: Black Ops Prestige Edition also comes with an RC-XD Video Surveillance Vehicle, modeled after the in-game RC-XD Killstreak reward. It's a fully-functional radio-controlled vehicle with 200 foot range, digital proportional steering and throttle, independent suspension, a display stand and built-in video camera and microphone that will transmit audio and color video to the pistol-grip remote, which is equipped with a speaker and two-inch backlit color screen with 220x176 resolution.

This kind of gaming goodness doesn't come cheap: The Black Ops Hardened Edition carries a price tag of $79.99, 20 bucks more than the regular release, while the Prestige Edition will set you back $149.99. It's a bit rich for my blood, but that doesn't really matter because, just like Modern Warfare 2, these special editions are only being released for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Sorry, PC gamers, no radio-controlled surveillance vehicle for you!

Call of Duty: Black Ops is set for release on November 9 for the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Haha, thats brilliant. 2 Months ago I wanted Medal of Honor more than anything else for Christmas but with the release of the multiplayer trailer and now this collectors edition, Im definatly choosing Black Ops over it.

Even the downright disgusting feeling I have towards Kotick cannot stop me from buying Black Ops now.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Holy, Shit.

Do Want, but will probably end up getting the hardened edition. Simply to expensive for me.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
In my Game store they have piles of the prestige editions lying around, for £40. I regret buying the game at launch. I'll take my chances with this one, hopefully it happens again.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Hold on...

So £100 for the RC car plus game? Yeah, I can dig that. Wonder what the PS3 version will get in terms of...

Oh wait... yeah... Activision is publishing... gonna be more than...

Fuck it.

Calumon: So £130 then? : (

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
OH wow... No desision time, Do I get it as soon as it comes out at 12:00am and enjoy it or do I take the chance and wait for a while and hope I find it ina store later on. I remember seeing piles of MW2 NVG's in a stacked pile in Best buy before christmas.

Huh

[small]I'll preorder it[/small]

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
For the real collector, though, there's the Prestige Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Prestige-Xbox-360/dp/B003WFLGO4/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281632468&sr=1-5], and this is where we separate the men from the boys.
Indeed. I mean, nobody above the age of 12 is going to pay an extra $80 to get a cheap remote controlled car with their game... right?

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009

so for another £100 you get an RC car with a mic and camera glued to it?

Also the Hardened with the avatar stuff worth about £5 in MS points if they put it on Market place and 4 maps seems too much.

I think the RC car will be the same as all other special ediiton crap, youll get bored of it eventually and it will just go up on a shelf somewhere, and you will have wasted quite alot of money.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Well, if you like it enough, I suppose its worth it?
The last time I paid THAT much for a game was the pre-order for demons souls. It was worth it, but I admit that it was only worth it to me because I love the game...otherwise, I probably got jacked.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
That little RC car camera thing, that looks good but i really cant shell out 150 bucks for this. Im already shelling out 150 bucks for Halo:reach. Sorry Activision, not getting.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Awesome...

Andy Chalk said:
Sorry, PC gamers, no radio-controlled surveillance vehicle for you!
Oh wait... lame.

Considering that the series started on PC, since CoD5 they have gone against us in favor of another system... wonder which one?

Andy Chalk said:
a Black Ops avatar outfit
Bastards...

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Hold on...

So £100 for the RC car plus game? Yeah, I can dig that. Wonder what the PS3 version will get in terms of...

Oh wait... yeah... Activision is publishing... gonna be more than...

Fuck it.

Calumon: So £130 then? : (
Yep. Another reason to hate Activision.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Nope. Not falling for it. I'll get the same amount of entertainment from Bad Company: Vietnam and thats just an expansion. Not to mention:

Fallout: New Vegas
Bulletstorm
Claptrap's robot revolution (need confirmation on the name)
Golde..... Fuck.....

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
the Call of Duty: Black Ops Prestige Edition also comes with an RC-XD Video Surveillance Vehicle, modeled after the in-game RC-XD Killstreak reward
Awesome. I'm sure no one will mistake this for a bomb. No one whatsoever.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Really don't think a "hardened" edition should get extra co-op maps, but then again I don't agree with anything Activision have done in the past few years.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Well, this game has been added to my "Never buying" list. PC version is, once again, $60 instead of $50, no prestige edition, and even the Wii version is only $50. Greedy pricks.