Army of Two "Tone" Didn't Work

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Army of Two "Tone" Didn't Work

Reid Schneider of Army of Two's [http://www.ea.com] core gameplay resonated with players, its "tone" did not, an aspect of the game the company plans to address in the sequel.

Army of Two centered on the exploits of two mercenaries blasting their way through missions in Somalia, Afghanistan, Kiev and other locales who become caught up in a deadly, home-grown conspiracy. The game was generally well-received but many reviewers took issue with the frat-boy mentalities of the game's heroes, a complaint perhaps most succinctly expressed by Penny Arcade [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/03/07/].

"What didn't work was really the tone," Schneider, executive producer on Army of Two, said in an interview with Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4021/building_franchise_power_an_army_.php]. "If you think about it on a scale, that's a good problem to have - tone is more easily fixable than having people say, 'You know what? I don't even like the core fantasy or the core gameplay that you're doing'."

Creative Director Alex Hutchinson, who didn't work on the original release, said he thought the reaction to the first game was "fascinating for a couple reasons."

"One is that people seemed to feel that the game was celebrating bad behavior. Actually, if you play it, I think it's amoral. It has no opinion," he said. "That's really interesting to me from a development perspective, because what it means is the press wants you to punish the bad guys. They don't want you to have no opinion about the bad guys. They want to say, 'No, but they're evil! They need to lose!' And I think that's kind of sad."

"Isn't it more interesting to say to the player, 'What should you do? What do you do? And what is your reaction?' I actually thought that was a little disappointing, even though I agree that the tone that we're going for in the new one is more appropriate and will hit a wider audience," he added.

Despite the tonal shift, gamers shouldn't expect non-stop doom-and-gloom in the sequel. "Humor is kind of a hallmark of the franchise," Schneider continued. "We want to make sure that we bring back humor in the game. It can't be just 100 percent straight and serious all the time. They have to be able to make a sarcastic remark, as long as it's dark."

Army of Two: The 40th Day is being developed by PSP [http://www.eamontreal.com/], and is scheduled for release in late 2009.

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
The first army of two had great gameplay; in the end that's all I really care about. making likeable characters and a good plot is something EA always struggles with.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
"Humor is kind of a hallmark of the franchise,"
Theres only been one so far..how is that a franchise?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Every game is a franchise nowadays. How many stand-alone titles can you name that came out in the last year (indie games do not count)?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
im confused. He says the criticism was that the game was not black & white enough; but far as I can tell the criticism was that the protagonists were a couple of macho jocks backslapping eachother while slaughtering hundreds of bad guys. Which is it?

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
They should have made them metalheads. We still wouldn't have been able to relate to them, but the head bang would've been so much better than the fist pound.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
I liked the first games tone, i thought it was funny, what i didn't like is how your guy would freak out when an enemy that is targeted was way too close

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
smallharmlesskitten said:
So are they removing te latent homosexuality or.....am I just extremely confused as to what they are doing?
I didnt really get a gay vibe from them, more of a abnoxious sport fan buddies vibe. Ive said it before and ill say it again, whatever gets them to stop saying "Bro" every other second.
I'm with you on that, I didn't get much of a homo vibe either. I didn't mind the stupidity of the characters to be honest, I just thought that the fist pounds were kind of dumb. I mean, its just a waste of a button and time. It was also very annoying trying to get to cover and accidently giving your buddy a high-five and getting shot in the face.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Aardvark said:
They should have made them metalheads. We still wouldn't have been able to relate to them, but the head bang would've been so much better than the fist pound.
They can already do air guitar. What more do you want.

(When me and my mate killed the last boss on Pro, we ran up and meleed him to the floor, then thanks to button mashing managed to do air guitar over his prostrate body, then meleed him again to death when he got up.)

Actually, I thought the tone of Army of Two was the thing that did work, it didn't take itself too seriously, and generally managed to capture the feel of the '80s action movie testosterone and sweat fest perfectly.

The story was what needed work, or rather some exposition at all, since it felt like there were massive chunks missing (Rios' scar, the fact that the last time you meet Smythe he's got a chelsea smile with no explanation, etc.)

n01d34

Aug 16, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
im confused. He says the criticism was that the game was not black & white enough; but far as I can tell the criticism was that the protagonists were a couple of macho jocks backslapping eachother while slaughtering hundreds of bad guys. Which is it?
What it is is the gaming press being too thick to realize the whole thing is a parody of macho jock games. The game presents the characters as amoral, the macho backslapping is a part of that.

Seriously how Army of Two copped flack for it's ludicrous characters and Gears of War gets rave reviews I have no idea.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
They can already do air guitar. What more do you want.
The headbang, the horns, then the two of them bashing their skulls together and screaming incoherently at eachother, before charging into a deathcircle at a Machine Head gig.

It's all about the little things.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
I actually quite liked the idea of playing as sociopathic morally-dead mercenaries who view mass-murder on about the same level as winning a basketball game. As something in the spirit of Haze, a commentary on the kind of person you have to be to work as a killer-for-hire... If they'd shown more self-awareness, maybe it would've worked like that. One was too heavy in balancing out the soldier's gung-ho attitude, and the other didn't do enough... 'Sfunny how it all turned out, really.

But, ah well... "To hit a wider audience", they're going to make it more clear-cut, it seems. To be fair, that's probably the most straightforward route...

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
n01d34 said:
What it is is the gaming press being too thick to realize the whole thing is a parody of macho jock games. The game presents the characters as amoral, the macho backslapping is a part of that.

Seriously how Army of Two copped flack for it's ludicrous characters and Gears of War gets rave reviews I have no idea.
My thoughts exactly. GoW was equally alpha male and brimming with sexual tension. Im just waiting for GoW 3 where they will flesh out the Marcus/Dom love affair. steroid enhanced sodomy and all.

I enjoyed army of TWO much more that GoW even though the game play is almost identical. It didnt take itself so seriously and the charecter customisation was nice.

In pulp fiction the dialogue was praised. Part of the praise was that they talked about none gangster topics making them more human. A rarity for a gangster film. Army of TWO had them talking about none killing topics but its seen as bad and juvenile. Its the same reason Cole is the only likable charecter in GoW. They weren't trying to make him Othello.

I hope they dont get ideas above thier station and try to make it all deep and brooding when its meant to be throw away, good, co-op fun. Every game doesnt need to be serious. If all games end up as MGS Ill hang up my controller.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Hmm... I just read the title as "Army of Two-Tone" didn't work. I was kind of disappointed when I found out it wasn't a game about 80's ska music...

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
After the whole Blackwater fiasco, I'm surprised they're using PMC's at all. They better be villain protagonists in the squeal.

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
smallharmlesskitten said:
So are they removing te latent homosexuality or.....am I just extremely confused as to what they are doing?
I didnt really get a gay vibe from them, more of a abnoxious sport fan buddies vibe. Ive said it before and ill say it again, whatever gets them to stop saying "Bro" every other second.
I really do think they are gay though. They just don't like each other that way.

I didn't like the first, too simplistic. It was like Gears without chainsaws and bugs.You could take so much damage before being downed, and it made it way too easy. I just want these problems fixed in the second.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
n01d34 said:
Actually, I thought the tone of Army of Two was the thing that did work, it didn't take itself too seriously, and generally managed to capture the feel of the '80s action movie testosterone and sweat fest perfectly.

The story was what needed work, or rather some exposition at all, since it felt like there were massive chunks missing (Rios' scar, the fact that the last time you meet Smythe he's got a chelsea smile with no explanation, etc.)
So does this mean that mainstream gaming is going through its lobo and spawn phase, only missing out on the parody elements? I only ask, as if gaming is following the trends of the comic book industry, we should be entering the grim dark 90s phase soon...

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Not enough nudity to cause anyone to want to play the game. They may blame tone, but really it's the lack of bewbs.