Doom 4 Engine Only For Bethesda Games, Says id Boss

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Doom 4 Engine Only For Bethesda Games, Says id Boss

Don't expect id Tech 5 to be next big thing in middleware, as id says it's keeping that particular toy to itself.

Speaking at QuakeCon in Dallas today, id boss Todd Hollenshead said that the engine powering Rage [http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Xbox-360/dp/B00354NAYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281650306&sr=1-1] and Doom 4, id Tech 5, would not be licensed out as middleware, but would instead be kept within the ZeniMax family, which id became a part of last year.

Hollenshead referred to the engine as a "competitive advantage" and that in order for a third party to gain access to it, it would have to be making a game published by Bethesda. "It's going to be used within ZeniMax, so we're not going to license it to external parties, "he said. "If you're going to make a game with id Tech 5 then it needs to be published by Bethesda, which I think is a fair thing."

When asked about whether he wished that id could have had the same success as Epic has had with engine licensing, Hollenshead praised the Gears of War developer for its success, but said that id's goals had always been different. "[W]e never pretended to be focused on technology licensing," he said. "[T]he philosophy was that with the one team the technology was wasted if you're just using it on one game, so we wanted to be able to license it out to a small number of developers ... Epic's made a good business out of that so kudos to them, but I wouldn't change the way we've done things."

What's exciting about the id Tech 5 engine is that it's designed to accommodate large open worlds, which would seem to make it a fantastic fit for a lot of Bethesda games. It's not hard to watch the Rage trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--zbG_K9kI] and picure how good it could make the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls look.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-12-id-tech-5-only-for-bethesda-titles]

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Doom 4? Open world? this cannot end well.

Unless doom guy has voice acting by brian blessed and all his lines taken from the doom comic.

RIP AND TEAR!

But yeah, I'm going to go my usual dick route and say that the next TES game will still be worse than Morrowind.

May 23, 2010
Sebenko said:

Unless doom guy has voice acting by brian blessed and all his lines taken from the doom comic.

RIP AND TEAR!

But yeah, I'm going to go my usual dick route and say that the next TES game will still be worse than Morrowind.
Well so was the last one, so I mean it's hardly saying much.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Sebenko said:
Doom 2 (which Doom 4 will be based on) was always intended to give the illusion of walking around in a huge American city. I don't see how actually making it a believable city would be a bad thing.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
JediMB said:
Sebenko said:
Doom 2 (which Doom 4 will be based on) was always intended to give the illusion of walking around in a huge American city. I don't see how actually making it a believable city would be a bad thing.
Better then that, just think what they could do when we descend into the ninth circle?

Apr 28, 2008
Now maybe Bethesda will finally replace their god-awful and buggy engine for one that isn't swimming in bugs.

Perhaps their dialog system will be better to.

Elder Scrolls 5 on id tech 5? Yes please.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I've got two words to say to this: Thank FUCK. Seriously Bethesda is so attatched to their old Gamebryo engine that it's sad.
If they used this new engine on the next Elder Scrolls game, then that could be one of the best looking games AND best playing games of all time.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
I was hoping this was going to happen when Bethesda and id got together. This is almost a 100% guarantee that the next Fallout and TES are going to have id tech 5 in it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well that seems a little selfish, and unresonable. Talking about denying the market...well, if they want to be like that...fine...just shows how much of a set of jerks they are with sharing tech

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Jaredin said:
Well that seems a little selfish, and unresonable. Talking about denying the market...well, if they want to be like that...fine...just shows how much of a set of jerks they are with sharing tech
It's competition. If you were in the restaurant business and you made an epic pie recipe, would you keep it for just your restaurants or give it out to anyone who wants it? Especially if you worked really, really hard on it...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Kinda disappointed they aren't going to attempt to outgun the Unreal Engine, but at least it opens the door to Bethesda's games on Mac, considering iD's long standing (and continuing) preference for using OpenGL over DirectX.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Doesn't id make a ton of money from licensing their tech? I'm sure the license fees are what kept the studio going in between the long release dates for their games. Perhaps now that they have an overlord, they don't have to sell their tech, but it's still odd to stop a very profitable revenue stream.

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
my god this just made me realise how bloody awesome tes 5 and fallout 4 will look

though i fail to see how them keeping the engine to themselves is really that bad i mean a lot of other companies have done that.