Man's Multiple Lives Told Through 8-Bit Videogame

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Man's Multiple Lives Told Through 8-Bit Videogame

An animated short by Lasse Gjertsen gives one 8-bit man the opportunity to live twice.

If real life were a videogame, it'd likely be a pretty boring one. But what if you had multiple lives and could choose different paths each time? Animator Lasse Gjertsen [http://www.youtube.com/user/lassegg] answers this question with an animated short that gives a perspective on the very different paths a person's life can take, which is presented in the form of an 8-bit videogame.

Thanks to YouTube extending the possible video time limit to 15 minutes, Gjertsen was able to release the video, called Consoul, on the service. Consoul begins with a man's birth and follows him from childhood to death. It then does it all over again, but with the man making different decisions.

I know 12 minutes is a lot to ask on the internet these days, but the videogame tie-ins make Consoul interesting. The man's money goes up as he works, and goes down as he feeds his family. When he gets into a fight, life bars appear, and his hearts fill as good things happen.

It's a little NSFW at one part, but Consoul is one of the neatest 8-bit works I've ever seen, and it makes you feel a little something too. Consoul shows you how a hat turned from forwards to backwards can really make a difference.

Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5612475/a-life-in-8+bit]

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
It's nice to see that the guy behind a couple of my favorite youtube videos ever ("Amateur" and "Hyperactive" for anyone looking) is still active.

EDIT:

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
Took me a while to figure out he was robbing the place. Thought it was strange he shows up the guy literally throws money at him.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
The video itself was pretty cool, and well done, I thought. However, I felt disappointed at the end. It didn't feel satisfying that the only negative repercussion shown when he played the "bad guy" the second time around was an early death, while the first time around when he was a normal guy, his wife left him and he died old and alone. I didn't necessarily want a goodie-two-shoes ending, but maybe if he second time around he had just been more "genre savvy" as opposed to taking the dark-side route it would have felt better, imho.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
Wow that was a really well done short film. Kudos to the film maker, hope he goes on to bigger things.

Also this is from the video description and I totally agree:

Youtube finally got their heads partially out of their corporate assholes and extended the time limit to 15 minutes. Congratulations! It took you over three years, and the main reason you did was to compete with Hulu. (Yes, I did apply for a directors account AGES ago, but they never replied. I also tried to send them emails directly, but they never replied. There is a big difference in what Youtube used to be, and what it has become, which is Theytube..)

Wrann

Sep 22, 2009
I really did like the video and the musical score to it was Amazing.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Wow...

I literally can't say much else because it was pretty cool to see the differences in the lives. The music is ear worm and just watching the guy do so much was particularly intriguing.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
wow. that was an interesting piece of philosphy.

also... i feel kind of sad now.

Fellwarden

Sep 25, 2008
Lasse Gjertsen is definitely skilled. If memory serves, he got a pretty good job because of his youtube videos. Cool video, and glad to see that he still puts stuff on youtube.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I hate this sort of video because it makes me feel sad. It's also kind of clichéd, but it still makes me feel sad...

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
There is no way in hell that that is 8 bit, that's gotta be at least 16.

But other than that, I generally love these kinds of things. :D

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
NeoAC said:
It's nice to see that the guy behind a couple of my favorite youtube videos ever ("Amateur" and "Hyperactive" for anyone looking) is still active.

EDIT:
I saw that piano video, Amateur, back in the day and thought it was some anonymous video... glad I now have a name to this awesome vid.

Nibiru

Apr 5, 2010
Tharwen said:
I hate this sort of video because it makes me feel sad. It's also kind of clichéd, but it still makes me feel sad...
I agree with Tharwen!

Even though the style is great, I really feel a bit sad after watching this, even if a lot of people love to tell me that "Thats how life really works!".

But everybody has his own opinions...

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Did I miss something? Aside from the "ooh, 8-bit, wow", it's just another existentialist Sartre-wannabe reflecting on the inevitability of life no matter one's choices.

I want my 12 minutes back.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
That was really cool, actually. Funny, cool, thought-provoking, and a little sad. Beautiful.

And I really wasn't expecting the style shift at about 7 minutes.