2.5 Million Miners Buy Minecraft

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
2.5 Million Miners Buy Minecraft

There are 2.5 million people in the world of indie phenomenon Minecraft, and they're all being blown up by Creepers.

There's no doubt that Minecraft is the very definition of "indie success story." It came out of nowhere to be the surprise hit of 2010, it made a gazillion bucks and allowed its creator Notch to create his own development studio, Mojang AB (which Xbox 360, Kinect-powered port [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108968-March-Mayhem-2011-Is-Over-Mojang-Wins] was one of Microsoft's biggest E3 announcements.

Earlier today, Notch announced technically isn't out yet [http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/80215303572815872], eh?

The next milestone, of course, is selling 3 million copies - which will put it on equal footing with games like Fable, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Parappa the Rapper, The Getaway, Halo 3: ODST, Final Fantasy X-2, Warcraft III, Crysis, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, and Dragon Age: Origins. Roughly equal footing, anyway - finding games that sold about 3 million copies is harder than it looks!

Congrats, Notch and Mojang. May your creepers blow up millions of unsuspecting miners for years to come. So, in celebration - sing it with me now [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/3009-Mining-All-Day-long], everyone! "Hey Hey Hey! I been minin' all day long..."

(Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/80215303572815872])

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
i really wish i could be part of this phenomenon but i didnt really like minecraft too much

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
That is wonderful. Now. can we hurry up development instead of trying to expand the userbase?

Iphone? Android? xbox? Perhaps you could finish up the games actual development before moving on to expanding. That would be nice.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
That's pretty impressive.

Note* I have no authority on grammar, but should it be "bought" instead of "buy" on the title.

2nd Note* No offense Mr.Funk. You can even correct me if you want.
I don't think the tense really matters all that much in this situation. I mean, in the strictest sense, it should be past tense, but present tense may just as well refer to the current sales statistics as they are now. Um, I'm sure there's a better way to explain it, but just trust me, it works.

OT: I've so far resisted the urge to buy Minecraft; I have university degrees to finish, money to earn, sleep to be had, you know, all that relatively non-important stuff.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I'm glad I got into to this pre-beta. I love watching the game flesh out over the months... it's like coming back to a new game after each major patch (randomised environments and some tasteful mods add to that too.)

I love being witness to it's development, rather then been given a finished product. It's a refreshing change of pace.

Kudos Notch. Bring on sky lands!

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Andronicus said:

Note* I have no authority on grammar, but should it be "bought" instead of "buy" on the title.

I don't think the tense really matters all that much in this situation. I mean, in the strictest sense, it should be past tense, but present tense may just as well refer to the current sales statistics as they are now. Um, I'm sure there's a better way to explain it, but just trust me, it works.

OT: I've so far resisted the urge to buy Minecraft; I have university degrees to finish, money to earn, sleep to be had, you know, all that relatively non-important stuff.
My knowledge of the english language is limited compared to my french. I'm not very popular with the grammar nazis on this site.

I've also resisted the urge to buy Minecraft. My brother and my friends told me it "was the game to buy". It was also one of the reasons that I stopped to play WoW. (Degrees, university and I need to lose weight).

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Present tense is appropriate for headlines. :)

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Pretty amazing. Good to see anything like this getting that much sales.
Well done, Notch. Well done.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
viranimus said:
That is wonderful. Now. can we hurry up development instead of trying to expand the userbase?

Iphone? Android? xbox? Perhaps you could finish up the games actual development before moving on to expanding. That would be nice.
Well it's not the same developers working on the different versions. Notch is working on the PC game full time.

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
I would make a deep relevant and insightfull comment but I have a floating fortress to build.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Good going, seriously, they deserve it. I hope much more success for them and many more copies being sold.

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Already bored of it, to be quite honest. About 10-20 hours ish total of playing/building.

There's no point to it. Maybe it just isn't my kind of game, I'm not the kind of guy to roam around GTA 4 after finishing the main storyline or avoiding the main quest line in RPGs, so I guess that's probably why.

Good for them though.
10-20 hours for $15 isn't bad though, considering you can pay $70 for 4 hours of Call of Duty.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
viranimus said:

Notch works on the main (pc) game, while a different team work on porting it.