200+ Game Characters Get Mega Man Treatment

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
200+ Game Characters Get Mega Man Treatment

An enterprising artist re-imagined more than 200 classic and modern videogame characters as they might appear in Mega Man.

Chris Bringhurst works at a call center and usually has long stretches of time with not much to do. One day, he started to imagine what Master Chief from Halo would like in the Mega Man universe. So he tinkered over the next two days when he wasn't fielding calls and ended up with what he thought was a pretty good image.

"People liked it and asked me to do others, so I tinkered with Mortal Kombat a little, then Nathan Drake from Uncharted, and I realized that there were literally hundreds of characters in the video game universe who might really work with that retro look that we all love," Bringhurst said. "Two months later, here I am."

About a month, Bringhurst posted an image with about a hundred of his Mega Man adaptations on Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dlxru/100_classic_andor_famous_video_game_characters/]. He was flooded with requests for even more. "This second batch I did was originally started to respond to the dozens of requests I'd gotten after that first hundred I'd done," Bringhurst said.

Check out the full image here [http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/files/2010/11/megaManMix.png]. Be warned, the file is pretty huge but once you click on it, you will be sucked in to looking at it all.

The inspiration to create these images may have come from his father. "I was fortunate enough to have a dad who was absolutely obsessed with video games, and from day one he had me playing games," Bringhurst said and that's probably why he has an appreciation for the classic series. "Mega Man, Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog - I feel like I have an almost eerily intimate relationship with those franchises."

Bringhurst's skill in bringing these characters to life in such simple iconic ways with just a few pixels is mesmerizing. I spent way too long gazing at this image with awe and delight. Yeah, I guess I'm not doing anything else today...

Source: Pixigeek [http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/2010/11/09/200-gaming-characters-as-mega-man-sprites/]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow.....
This is freaking awesome.
These are really detailed, im am thoroughly impressed.

The Katz(Zero Wing) one is now one of my faves.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
As talented a job as he's done, I can't help but wish that he hadn't put them all in one huge image. Like grouped them in separate pages by genre or something.

Still a nice piece of work, though.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Why is it so awesome?

Cant... Stop... Looking...

EDIT: Holy crap, I just saw Shadows of the Empire on there, anybody else have that game? (It was the first N64 game I owned and played)

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
zfactor said:
Why is it so awesome?

Cant... Stop... Looking...

EDIT: Holy crap, I just saw Shadows of the Empire on there, anybody else have that game? (It was the first N64 game I owned and played)
I've still got the action figures, and some of the comics, but not the game.

Seriously though, Outlaws and Flashback? Who else even remembers those games?

Also it strikes me as oddly appropriate that Duke looks so natural in this art style.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
You're the bro that I have chosen, coz you're the 'splode beneath my 'splosion. 'Splosion MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Y'know, I never thought that the Minecraft dude would get Mega-fied, but I guess random miracles do happen...

Supraliminal

Jul 18, 2009
Impressive.
That has taken a lot of work, alright. If somebody made 'em all into a single game, I would be utterly impressed.

Krafty_Krocodile

Jul 6, 2010
I would of prefered it if the person didn't use megaman as a base, but rather designed them in more of a robot master style, anyone can edit a sprite...

inb4 flame/hate