X-Com Creator Weighs in on Remake

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
X-Com Creator Weighs in on Remake

Going from a turn-based strategy game to a first person shooter with mild strategic leanings [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101416-E3-2010-XCOM-Is-a-Strategic-Shooter-in-Name-Only] is a pretty big change for the X-Com, and the guy who started the franchise isn't particularly pleased.

Julian Gollop, creator of the original turn-based X-Com, has offered his perspective on the upcoming first person shooter remake/reimagining XCom. Speaking in the comment thread of a Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5987/putting_the_xcom_in_xcom.php] article about the game, he said that he would have made a turn-based game, but that no one had asked for his input.

Gollop expressed regret that turn-based games were now considered a niche genre, which would mean that 14 years of his game design experience would now be essentially obsolete. He added that he believed there was still a market for a turn-based X-Com game, as long as the design was right, but said that publishers "ran a mile" from anything with turn-based mechanics. He said that the exception to the rule seemed to be Nintendo's handhelds, and cited several examples of turn-based games that had done well in recent years, including Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics. He also said that he considered Pokémon to be a TBS game at its core, despite its RPG veneer.

Gollop isn't the only the person to express [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101280-XCom-E3-Trailer-Brings-the-Disappointment] disappointment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/7435-Stolen-Pixels-186-Well-Lookie-Who-We-Have-Here] at the radical changes made to X-Com, but his must be especially potent having made the original game. XCom is being developed by 2K Australia, and is scheduled for release in 2011.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/14/x-com-creator-on-xcom/]

Jul 22, 2009
Hmm I had the fortune/misfortune of never playing the original games.

On one hand I obviously missed out on what seems like a great series.

On the other hand this game looks quite good and I'll be able to enjoy it in it's own merit and not in the shadow of its predecessors.

I heard in another thread references to the UFO series... what has that got to do with X-Com?

Feb 13, 2008
RAH! We still love you Julian. Just mind-control 2K Australia and watch them fire a Blasterbomb at their feet. :)

GamesB2 said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.82574-Lets-Play-UFO-Enemy-Unknown#1129693

On the other hand this game looks quite good and I'll be able to enjoy it in it's own merit and not in the shadow of its predecessors.
Really? It looks like another lame shooter that totally divorces itself from the original. Just like "The Karate Kid".
I heard in another thread references to the UFO series... what has that got to do with X-Com?
The UFO series were heavily influenced by X-Com, sort of a spiritual successor after Apocalypse crashed out before being finished.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Poor guy. Seeing his vision mangled into a new genre like that without his input. They should at least consult the creator, even if they don't have to legally.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Glad they are making it first person . And not just remaking some old game.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Hmm...I wonder if they'll be able to keep the sense of...shall I say...blindness around? One of the things that I liked about X-COM was that the battles felt tense, because if you made a mistake it could be very costly.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
T-Bone24 said:
Poor guy. Seeing his vision mangled into a new genre like that without his input. They should at least consult the creator, even if they don't have to legally.
Why? So he can offer his input and be completely ignored? Either way it'd be an FPS, as decided by committee.

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
This is something I agree one because even though I'm an old veteran of the original series, I'm not going to go along with the hate crowd who have caused an uproar over this. If it was the original game with some updated effects, cleaner crisper graphics and all that jazz then odds are a lot of people still wouldn't be happy. So the guys are damned if they do/don't.

It's bold and admirable if a franchise takes a new step and regardless if it turns out for better or worse, it's usually preferable to taking the usual formula over and over again until it's tired and worn.

But Jules is right; it is an utter kicker than turn-based strategy games are getting ignored over the frantic life of RTS games. Games like this and Jagged Alliance had that little more tension in the air when you made your move and you always wondered "Was that the right thing to do?" knowing your answer would come in the enemy move phase.

Jul 22, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
RAH! We still love you Julian. Just mind-control 2K Australia and watch them fire a Blasterbomb at their feet. :)

GamesB2 said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.82574-Lets-Play-UFO-Enemy-Unknown#1129693

Really? It looks like another lame shooter that totally divorces itself from the original. Just like "The Karate Kid".
The UFO series were heavily influenced by X-Com, sort of a spiritual successor after Apocalypse crashed out before being finished.
Ahhh I see, cause I've played the UFO series so I was curious about the connection.

I've seen the gameplay and it's got a nice art style and the gameplay has a sciencey twist to it that I like the look of.

It's not big up on my list but I'd like to try it out.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
How is it bold, to make it an FPS? Does everything have to be about twitch players and FPS? Thank the heavens, Starcraft II didn't go the FPS route. And Civ V is coming out. X-Com was fun, I miss some of the older stylings, overhead views, multiple people in your party not online. Everything has gone the one player view from their eyes route. Not that they are bad, just no variety.

Feb 13, 2008
GamesB2 said:
I've seen the gameplay and it's got a nice art style and the gameplay has a sciencey twist to it that I like the look of.
Which I could forgive if it wasn't for the title steal. It's not X-Com in anyway, and like the Star Wars prequels, it just hurts the original.

Why not Zombies Ate My Neighbours 2, It Came From The Desert 3 or similar? They at least could fit into that world.

Jul 22, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Which I could forgive if it wasn't for the title steal. It's not X-Com in anyway, and like the Star Wars prequels, it just hurts the original.

Why not Zombies Ate My Neighbours 2, It Came From The Desert 3 or similar? They at least could fit into that world.
I suppose. I went on for ages about games that didn't deserve the same name so yeah I understand that.

Fair enough I'd just kinda like to try this out.

Apr 28, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
We're not so angry at the fact that the gameplay will be different, but we're more angry that this game does not resemble X-com at all.

Well thats how I feel anyway.

I have no problem with differing gameplay perspectives. Hell it worked for Fallout 3. But they could have at least kept something from the original. I know I probably shouldn't judge it this early, but dammit so far it does not look good.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
It might be a good game but like Fallout 3 it isn't really a sequel so much as a remake.

I liked Fallout 3 but going first person they lost a lot of what made the originals great. I don't have high hopes for XCOM remake but if they screw up Deus Ex ITS CLOBBERIN TIME!

Chevy235

Jun 8, 2010
I don't know who 2K is exactly aiming for with this game. I mean, if you want to use an established IP, then I'd assume you'd want to appeal to the original fans of the game's predecessor. This take throws away almost everything that made X-Com great and leaves only the most generic stuff.

Something's rotten in Down-under.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I saw the original in action, sacred the shit out of me. Not the aliens and that, the micromanaging of XCOM center and going to a TBC gameplay afterwards. Not my kind of game.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Whytewulf said:
How is it bold, to make it an FPS? Does everything have to be about twitch players and FPS? Thank the heavens, Starcraft II didn't go the FPS route. And Civ V is coming out. X-Com was fun, I miss some of the older stylings, overhead views, multiple people in your party not online. Everything has gone the one player view from their eyes route. Not that they are bad, just no variety.
Damn straight. Twitch style should be more of a niche market than TBS games since I'll bet there are a lot more people who enjoy having a moment or two to make a decision than a split second before getting killed.
It's fine if they want to remake a previously good game, and even adding some new elements is good to keep it up to pace with the common market. Taking a total change of approach to something is a lot different than a remake... it's more of a complete remodel. I enjoy the FPS games from time to time, but not everything can translate into this idea. Command and Conquer went that route a long time ago... a well-established RTS that tried to go the FPS route, and it wasn't exactly a success. They tried, it didn't go over as well as thought, and they didn't mess much with the formula again.
Understandably, X-Com could prove to be a good game. Who knows? They could hit this one out of the park and have a runaway success on their hands, and good for them. The series was good, but these days it is a little stale in the graphics department and that will tend to keep people from trying it. The UFO series is still available for download on gog.com, for $10 or less.
The future is here, let's hope they don't completely change nearly everything about the game, aside from the basic mechanics they already intend to change. Look at what they did with Shadowrun... went from an RPG to a FPS, with little to nothing to do with the original. I hope to not be disappointed with more information about the new X-Com.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
WanderingFool said:
I saw the original in action, sacred the shit out of me. Not the aliens and that, the micromanaging of XCOM center and going to a TBC gameplay afterwards. Not my kind of game.
and i considered it easy as hell when i was five. how embarrassing for you to be beaten by a 5 year old in strategy.
It would be embarrassing, if I actually played it, than what you said could have been true.