Online Retailer Outs Mortal Kombat Compilation

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Online Retailer Outs Mortal Kombat Compilation

Warner Bros. is apparently slapping a price tag on your nostalgia, with a compilation of classic Mortal Kombats.

The bloom may have fallen off the Mortal Kombat flower in recent years, but back in the mid-nineties, the series was a pretty big deal. According to a listing on online retailer Shopto [http://www.shopto.net/PS3/VIDEO%20GAMES/PS3MK01-MK%20Arcade%20Compilation.html], new rights-holder Warner Bros. is trying to recapture some of that lost glory with some classic MK action.

The listing is titled "MK Arcade Compilation" - although that sounds like a placeholder, rather than a final name - and seems to be exclusively for the PS3. According to what few details there are, the compilation will be released on November 12th, and collects Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. The listing also says that it is "the first MK to have a high definition aspect."

This wouldn't be the first time that the classic Mortal Kombat games have been released on modern consoles, as MK2 is available on PSN right now, and Ultimate MK3 was available on XBLA until it was removed in February due to "publisher evolving rights and permissions." It's not outside the realms of possibility that Warner Bros. might want to build up expectations for the new Mortal Kombat with a re-release of the classic games, but we'll have to wait for an official announcement to know for sure.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/08/16/mortal-kombat-compilation-listed/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
If they update the graphics, they might update the audio. Or is this just the old graphics, now in HD? Well, there's no details yet.

They better not change Scorpion's voice.

GET OVER HERE!

Jul 22, 2009
Why do all these compilations popping up seem to be PS3 exclusive...

Some people... you know... bought xboxs and enjoy this stuff too.

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Ugh. Bring this to the 360 too! Oh, and please throw in Mortal Kombat Trilogy too while you're at it.

Drauden

Jun 2, 2010
How are they going to do this game in HD? With Street Fighter it was easy, they just redo the sprites. In the old Mortal Kombat games however, they use actual actors.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Why do all these compilations popping up seem to be PS3 exclusive...

Some people... you know... bought xboxs and enjoy this stuff too.
I agree! if they really want to reach a wide market should open us to as many as they cna...

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Cool I guess but I already have copies lurking around my house so I doubt I will buy it but I am sure avid fans of the series will

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
We will probably never see a PSOne Classics re-release of Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

This continues to piss me off.

QCX

Aug 9, 2010
Meh im not fussed.

I love MK series, but if I want to play the old ones, I got a copy of trilogy and a PSone emu that works fine.

blippity

Apr 30, 2009
As long as they keep "Toasty" in MKII and release it for the 360 too, then I'll be happy.