In Game Video Chat Coming to PS3?

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
In Game Video Chat Coming to PS3?

An upcoming PS3 title lists in-game microphone and video chat as one of its features.

The game in question, Zen Pinball, has seen a major increase in profile since the feature was spotted on the game's official site. In a list of its features, the game mentions, "Voice and video chat via compatible USB devices" as one of them. The game features a heavy emphasis on its online play.

While the feature is certainly only specific to Zen Pinball at the moment, it's a strong indicator that the code and basic structure for the feature is in place and might be finding its way to other PS3 games some time soon. How the video chat integrates into the game remains to be seen, as there are currently no images or video of the feature in action. I can't imagine a floating head in the middle of your pinball table yelling at you would make things any more enjoyable, so it seems safe to assume the video chat might be restricted to the lobby or less bothersome areas.

In-game microphone and video chat have been on PS3 owners' most wanted lists for some time now alongside cross game invites to play with friends online.

Zen Pinball is scheduled for release on PSN May 14th.

Source: <a href="http://www.ps3center.net//news/2948/ps3-getting-ingame-video-chat/"
target="_blank">www.PS3Center.com (Via <a href="http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-327774.aspx"
target="_blank">N4G)

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wasn't this announced as a general update for the PSN some time ago? Atleast the microphone chat I think.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmm.... why would you need video chat for a pinball game? How would you even do multiplayer for it?

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
Will this be going to other games? Why at all really? I mean do I need to see the 8 year old I am beating the crap out of?

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
The PS3 already has a video chat last time I checked. I believe it has a voice and video chat, so this really isn't something new. Also a little pointless for the type of game.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
InProgress said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Well thats retarded.
What he said! Why would you want to see someone's face while you're assaulting his avatar with a weapon?
Because once upon a time there used to be no online play, you had to sit next to the person that you were playing against, allowing you to soak up all the hate and anger after you kill them.

Personally, I would love to see certain games implement this feature as long as it wasnt too intrusive. Would make killing people online a lot more fun.
Even though most people I know on PS3 are immature and would just stand naked in front of their cam as they kill me.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
chromewarriorXIII said:
The PS3 already has a video chat last time I checked. I believe it has a voice and video chat, so this really isn't something new. Also a little pointless for the type of game.
It does but that is only accessible from the XMB and cannot be used in-game.
The cross-game mic chat was meant to be patched in months ago but Im pretty sure it hasnt been released yet.

BenMcMichael

Feb 6, 2009
Personally i think it is a good idea, but it has flaws, in random online gaming say street fighter, imagine pwning some young kid ken noob(in the form of spamming and has no skill at combo-ing not that ken can only be used by noobs) with say gen (totally non nooby chars ftw due to moves that cannot be succesfully spammed and instead relies on tactics), wouldnt you like to see the tears in his eyes? i would. The flaw is that he could mooon you, unless your into underage boys/girls. A strong point is in co-op or local multiplayer games. SAY for instance a good session on call of duty waw's zombies, being able to see your friends face as he realises his avatars now missing his frontal lobe could be amusing. So i believe that in the proper place, this could be a good move and i for one would appreaciate it.

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
nova18 said:
Because once upon a time there used to be no online play, you had to sit next to the person that you were playing against, allowing you to soak up all the hate and anger after you kill them.

Personally, I would love to see certain games implement this feature as long as it wasnt too intrusive. Would make killing people online a lot more fun.
Even though most people I know on PS3 are immature and would just stand naked in front of their cam as they kill me.
And that right there, is the reason why I don't like multiplayer, except for TF2.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
it doesn't matter to me right now ,the bigger fix should be the web browser and update flash

xpacerx

Feb 25, 2009
this isn't new, that have voice and video chat in the "High Stakes Poker" PSN game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Weird.
I really can only see this being fun for extremely casual games like Zen Pinball or Noby Noby Boy.

On one hand, I can't believe they waste their money developing crappy features like this, on the other hand, at least it's pretty original for once and not just some useless feature off one of the other consoles like trophies or miivatars. And I'd rather see them spend money on crap like this than more disastrous PR stunts/agents.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
I do not WANT to talk to people when I'm playing games!
And I would hate for them to talk to me!

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I think it'd be cool if there was a 'kill cam' of sorts, it puts a clip of the person's reaction up when you kill them if they have a webcam. That'd make some online FPS' a lot more satisfying.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
ffxfriek said:
seconded. i mean whos going to look at each other while playing a game... i mean common people...
I may be wrong on this, but does the 360 already have in-game voice/video chat for the better part of a year or so? I mean, sure, having it in a pinball game isn't ideal, but come on people!