Rumor: Force Unleashed 3 Cancelled and Staff Axed

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Force Unleashed 3 Cancelled and Staff Axed

Sources suggest that after just two months in the job, new LucasArts boss Paul Meegan is making some pretty big changes to the studio.

Rumors are circulating that new LucasArts President Paul Meegan has cancelled development on the third installment of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and will be letting several members of the development team go when Force Unleashed 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Force-Unleashed-Xbox-360/dp/B0030EU3TG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282131701&sr=8-1] launches in October. A second, unnamed project has reportedly been put on hold, pending changes in management and reportedly following the departure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102475-The-Force-Unleashed-Executive-Producer-Leaves-LucasArts] of Haden Blackman last month.

Finally, outside development on LucasArts-owned brands is said to be coming to an end, with BioWare's The Old Republic MMOG being the last game to not be made internally. This would mean no more LEGO Star Wars or Indiana Jones games, and no more episodes of Tales of Monkey Island as these have been handled by Traveller's Tales and Telltale Games respectively. Sources suggest that morale at LucasArts has hit an all-time low under Meegan's leadership, and that there are significant problems with communication. Apparently, many people only found out about the cancellation of Force Unleashed 2 on the PSP by reading about it on gaming news sites.

If the rumors are true, then LucasArts will presumably be focusing on internal development, but if that's the case, then letting staff go doesn't seem to make sense. It's possible that Meegan wants to release a smaller number of titles each year however, which theoretically would need fewer staff. Speculation aside, if any LucasArts staff are about to lose their jobs, we hope they land on their feet.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5614577/rumor-lucasarts-cancels-force-unleashed-3-begins-culling-developers]

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
It reminds me of Yahtzee lamenting Lucasarts axing the cleverness divison and apparently the new boss realizing this and trying to 'shake things up'. Then again, maybe that's just me and firing the people you have is, one way or another, not a sign of you wanting to get cracking and get to work. It's merely a sign of clear downsizing and wanting to go the more casual route rather than the Star Wars games route previously taken.

One thing's for sure - there will be blood!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
What in the... what's that even about?! This "new boss" does not seem like a good one. Neither does he seem too smart.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Shepard said:
I hope Paul Meegan gets fired. Lego Star Wars is awesome.
Fuckin A' it is. This guys a dick. I usually dont hope somebody gets fired, because I dont like bringing that on people, but it looks like he might actually be taking down the entire company this way. For the good of LucasArts, I just hope he goes away. Then we can have more awesome Lego Stuff.

But on the other hand, should this pour out more awesome Star Wars games, like really good ones, I will be conflicted. I still hate this guy, but it looks like I really dont have a choice on waiting to see what happens with him. Im sure eventually outside companies will be allowed to make games again.

And honestly, thats what they get for making a FU3 already. with FU2 not even released, they had no idea what feedback and reception would be. They really needed to take their time. That didnt deserve firing though.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Shepard said:
Yeah, he sounds like a knob. And also yes, LEGO Star Wars rocks my socks off. DOn't worry tho, we'll still have LEGO Batman and LEGO Harry Potter, and I can only imagine a LEGO Spidey ;P

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
Druyn said:
Shepard said:
Fuckin A' it is. This guys a dick. I usually dont hope somebody gets fired, because I dont like bringing that on people, but it looks like he might actually be taking down the entire company this way. For the good of LucasArts, I just hope he goes away. Then we can have more awesome Lego Stuff.

But on the other hand, should this pour out more awesome Star Wars games, like really good ones, I will be conflicted. I still hate this guy, but it looks like I really dont have a choice on waiting to see what happens with him. Im sure eventually outside companies will be allowed to make games again.
I agree. If he doesn't get fired I sure hope something good comes from his hiring. I won't get my hopes up though.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
On the off-chance that second unnamed project is the sequel to Republic Commando, I say we take him down.

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
captaincabbage said:
Shepard said:
Yeah, he sounds like a knob. And also yes, LEGO Star Wars rocks my socks off. DOn't worry tho, we'll still have LEGO Batman and LEGO Harry Potter, and I can only imagine a LEGO Spidey ;P
You know I'm not really a big fan of Spiderman games, but a LEGO Spiderman game would be awesome!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm calling bullshit on the TFU 3 cancellation at the very least.

TFU was the best-selling Star Wars game they've had, they're now launching the sequel soon, and then they're just going to cancel it? If this is true then the guy's a total moron.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
They're going the casual route. Instead of Force Unleashed 3, it's Forceville. You train various padawans for a particular amount of time, then you kill them when they're ripe, earning you force points and midichlorians, which allows you to train more padawans. Also, it's going to be ported only to PC users...

...via Facebook.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
SomeBoredGuy said:
On the off-chance that second unnamed project is the sequel to Republic Commando, I say we take him down.
GRAB THE PITHCFORKS AND TORCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IShouldBeWorking

Aug 17, 2010
Meh, so a nob-end got put in charge- happens in every company now and then. This sounds like the kind of bloke that comes into an office, makes learning everyones name his first priority before adding irritating nmemonics like 'Dan the Can' to your name, or for the ethnic minorities out there giving you a new name completely ("Siorbhan eh? Let's just call you Sean").

Said twat will then proceed to take at least two hours of each person's time doing an individual one-to-one review to improve productivity, and round things off with a needlessy lengthly stationary form that you have to fill in everytime you want a fucking pencil out of the cupboard-oh yeah, and let's not forget novelty tie day.
On the upside, these wankers usualy only last about sixth months before being paid a backhander to leave quietly and go screw up some other poor sod's place of work.