Portal 2 Teleports to Shelves Next February

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Portal 2 Teleports to Shelves Next February

Valve's cake-and-science-filled Portal 2 will hit stores next February, with voice work from Stephen Merchant of The Office.

Valve can be an incredibly secretive company, carefully controlling the flow of information about [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282148445&sr=8-2], the sequel to the firm's incredibly popular teleportation-based adventure. The developer opened the floodgates just a tiny bit at the German Gamescom conference, revealing not just one, but two, exciting new tidbits about its game. Portal 2 will be released on Steam next February, and will feature the voice of British actor Stephen Merchant as the robotic companion Wheatley.

Although Valve previously announced that the release date for Portal 2 would slip into next year, it turns out that this didn't mean the next holiday season. The game will hit the Steam download service on February 9th.

This release date is presumably for Europe, but it is unlikely that gamers in North America will receive it significantly earlier or later. Given Valve's earlier promise of a simultaneous release, it is also likely that the console versions of the game (and a boxed copy of the PC and Mac releases) will also be released in stores during the same week.

Fans of both Portal and British comedians - I think that covers all of us - will also be thrilled to hear that Stephen Merchant has been recruited to provide the voice of Wheatley, a robotic sphere that will help guide you through the ruins of the Aperture Science facility. Merchant may be familiar to gamers as a writer and actor in the comedy series The Office. He has also had small roles in a number of movies, such as Hot Fuzz and The Invention of Lying.

Source: 1Up [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=260632]

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Excellent. Now I have a day to mark on my calender.

I am greatly looking forward to this game, as I am still trying to beat the Advanced Portal maps to this day.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Through a series of quantum equations I have deduced that Portal 2 shall arrive in the December of 2011.

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Now...the question lingers. PS3 or 360 version?
AND DON'T TELL ME PC VERSION.
PS3 looks like it'll be the best console version. It has support for a bunch of Steam-related features, and will get any DLC and patches around the same time that the PC and Mac versions do.

Apr 28, 2008
I was really hoping the voice actor would be Stephan Fry. Its set up so well, then I saw it won't be him, then I was sad...

Anyway, good to know, even though the release date will fall to Valve time and get pushed into next year or something...

May 25, 2010
Damn, I was hoping this would hit store shelves... I got Portal for free when the Mac steam launched, but since I'm a minor I have no credit card. And I really wanted to play this game...

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
...you know. I hope they rerecord those sections with Wheatly 'cause the voice work seems... bad.

I liked the filler voice they used better so far.

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
Hmm... Valve Time predictions going to be coming in thick and fast now... February 9th would be nice though.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I am looking forward to this so much, now. And oddly enough, I actually prefer Wheatly to Glados. Heresy, I know, but Wheatly seems much more quirky and awesome. And as a Brit, I love the voice, too (though when I started the video I could have sworn it was Danny Wallace, who voiced and did motion-capture for English historian and Assassin Shaun Hastings in Assassin's Creed 2, and will hopefully be returning for Assassin's Creed 3).

But yeah, as I say, awesome news, and really looking forward to seeing it. It looks like it'll be a much bigger game than the original, too, which is always a good thing :D.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Good. Now maybe we'll see HL2:E3 before we all die of old age. I mean, Portal 2 will be fun, but it's really just not my thing.

Prophetic Heresy

Dec 26, 2009
Merchant's voice fits that little robot surprisingly well in my opinion. They should've gotten Karl Pilkington to do it, though. His head is shaped just like Wheatley's.

Oh, I also think I might of actually made a childish squeal of joy at seeing that gameplay footage. I hope those levels they showed aren't actually in the game though. I don't think I'd ever think up those sort of solutions without having seen them play out in front of me.

CyNiC93

Jul 28, 2010
dead excited about portal 2. they should continue the trend of british comedians, gordon freeman should be voiced by jack dee.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
DAY 1 PURCHASE!!!
Once this is out, hopefully Valve will FINALY give us some info on Half Life 2:Episode 3.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Woodsey said:
Through a series of quantum equations I have deduced that Portal 2 shall arrive in the December of 2011.
But it says February! Bloody valve time... Can't their mystical time-dilation powers work the other way for once and give us the game early?

Also, 1600th post!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well now got a date to look forward to! Shall eagerly aniticpate some more portal action!