Torchlight Moves 750K, Console Port "Hopefully" By Holidays

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Torchlight Moves 750K, Console Port "Hopefully" By Holidays

Torchlight is still going strong and if all goes well, console gamers may be able to enjoy the title by the end of the year.

as of May [http://www.amazon.com/Encore-15980-Torchlight/dp/B001B5U80K], but now Runic CEO Max Schaefer has revealed that the game kept selling well, and that a console version should hopefully be out this year.

Schaefer told Joystiq that Torchlight is well on its way to selling one million copies, or more, as it's now reached sales of 750,000 copies in less than a year. This may not be anything to sneeze at for blockbusters like Torchlight 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Playstation-3/dp/B001SGZL2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282439604&sr=8-2] has already been announced and is on track for a 2011 release.

If you're exclusively a console gamer, you may have never even heard of Torchlight because the game has only been released on the PC. Runic Diablo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99070-Torchlight-Lighting-a-Path-to-Consoles]-style game on consoles as soon as possible, which may end up being the holiday season of 2010. Of the console release, Schaefer said: "We're trying, we're talking [to Sony and Microsoft] and we hope to get that done quickly." He revealed that "hopefully" it'll be released on Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network by the holidays.

And after Torchlight 2 comes to the PC and the Mac, it's also planned for release on XBLA and the PSN. Torchlight looks like a success story that will keep on going, and also keep on giving to players that enjoy its style of gameplay.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/21/torchlight-hopefully-out-on-xbla-and-psn-by-holidays-has-sold/]

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Irridium said:
Wait, what about the MMO part of Torchlight? Whatever happened to that?
Probably got dropped. If this game wasn't $2 when I bought it on sale, I'd regret it. It's just a shitty version of Diablo and can't believe how hyped its getting.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
This confuses me greatly?.? I don'tsee how Torchlight could get a good console port, the controls just don't seem like they would transfer over very well...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
I heard Torchlight was pretty bad. Certainly doesn't deserve to be mentioned with Diablo in one breathe.
it practicably is diablo but with better art, after all, it was made by a good portion of the team that made diablo

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
No word on an online component? It's one of the things I really missed from Diablo 2 when I got Torchlight. I might consider buying it on console in addition to the PC if it comes with the ability to play online.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Amnestic said:
No word on an online component? It's one of the things I really missed from Diablo 2 when I got Torchlight. I might consider buying it on console in addition to the PC if it comes with the ability to play online.
Torchlight 2 they said that you can play online co-op of sorts, and that the mmo is still in development.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
deth2munkies said:
Irridium said:
Wait, what about the MMO part of Torchlight? Whatever happened to that?
Probably got dropped. If this game wasn't $2 when I bought it on sale, I'd regret it. It's just a shitty version of Diablo and can't believe how hyped its getting.
100% AGREE thre is nothing good about this game its just a few dungens and like 4 shops

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Ive got 80 hours logged on this game. Worth every penny.

Theres a bunch of modders that are supposedly working on multiplayer support for Torchlight but theres absolutely no idea when they'll have it ready.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I'm a little surprised to hear a lack of support for this idea. I'd happily back this idea at least for the benefit for Runic to make more money off this game and attract more people to it. Granted, it may not be a great port (what game of that genre ever made a decent crossover?) but at least I feel it is a move in the right direction. Any move that can do to attract new customers would do nothing but benefit their brand. Even if say thirty percent of people didn't like the port, there's still seventy percent of people who would like it or love it.

I haven't had the chance to try this game yet, but I've heard good things about it. I would be interested to try this on XBL or PSN, as long as the price is right.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Sacman said:
This confuses me greatly?.? I don'tsee how Torchlight could get a good console port, the controls just don't seem like they would transfer over very well...
IDK, all you do to move and attack is hold left mouse. Use d pad's 8 keys for the hotkeys and you still have lots of room left on the controller.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I might buy it for consoles if it actually happened. I don't know exactly how that would work, considering the amount of hotkeys. I seriously had a spell for buttons 1-9 and both the tab options... I don't think a console has that many.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
If you're exclusively a console gamer, you may have never even heard of Torchlight because the game has only been released on the PC.
Ah. I thought I saw Torchlight on sale on Steam for the Mac as the well as the PC recently...

*checks*

Yes, I did.

On topic: Excellent news! I would love to play Torchlight on my 360.