Konami's NeverDead is Immortal Dismemberment Katamari

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Konami's NeverDead is Immortal Dismemberment Katamari

Rebellion's NeverDead is sort of like Katamari, except players have to hunt demons and roll around to collect their own bodyparts.

Somehow, Konami's NeverDead [http://www.amazon.com/Neverdead-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6HDRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282493568&sr=8-1] was able to slip under my radar until its latest trailer was released at Gamescom. It's an elegant video, featuring a beautiful piece of classical music that plays as the main character's head rolls around to collect his detached body parts so he can reassemble his immortal self.

preview [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Acid-Sony-PSP/dp/B0007UDYU6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282493597&sr=8-1] at 1up. NeverDead is a third person action title that uses a dismemberment mechanic instead of health bars.

"Dismemberment is so unique in our game that we felt we needed to take full advantage of it," Nojiri says. The mechanic doesn't only come into play when the main character gets damaged, but also in combat. The player may be able to throw his arm into a crowd of enemies while it continuously fires in all directions, or bring a room's entire ceiling down on himself and his enemies, killing them but not the immortal main character. Dismemberment is also part of the game's puzzles, as players might have to toss their head through a hole in the wall to see into the next area.

The game's E3 trailer gives you a better idea of what the fast-paced gameplay is like and also shows off the protagonist's mortal female partner. It looks like a hilarious game that probably should'nt be under the radar at all.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3181000]

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
very interesting, but since apparently it isn't going to appear on PC I won't be able to play it. Also I wonder how they are going to make the game challenging if it isn't oly going to be puzzles. Say, something like Braid...

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I know it's awfully nitpicky, but I hope they fix the collision-detection before release. I don't like the way limbs just go through the floor.

Otherwise, this looks cool. It's like being on the strategic receiving-end of VATS.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Not impressed, I have to say. Apart from the dismemberment mechanic this looks incredibly generic, especially the one-dimensional eyerolling sidekick filmed in awkward perv-o-vision.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
There is a certain charm to the trailers that just makes me wanna smile so wide

Feb 18, 2009
I want this, I reeeaaaaally do. Better start saving up for a PS3.

But how come all the really intresting titles always manage to slip by unnoticed? This, for example, came completely out of the blue. Aren´t quirky ideas like this worth at least a little ruckus, or am I just not paying enough attention?

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
The description of the dismemberment mechanic and what it's used for reminds me of Plok. Anyone else remember that? Anyone? Bueller? Kind of obscure but pretty decent platformer for the SNES where your main ability was to throw your limbs at enemies and the environment to deal damage or activate switches and various other things. Of course, you were limited by the number of limbs you had, and if you fired them all off at once you were stuck as just a bouncing torso until you got them back. If they didn't hit anything, they'd just boomerang back to you, but some switches and stuff would actually consume them, and you'd have to go collect them from a clotheshanger somewhere else in the level. Weird little game (and some levels were brutally hard the farther into it you got), but pretty fun.

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
This looks pretty interesting, but GOD I recognized that dudes voice and it's gonna bug me ALL FREAKING DAY.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
That was hilarious. Watched the Gamescon trailer laughing the entire way.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
I need to see more gameplay so I can refine my judgments, but for now it looks like a mediocre third person shooter with a cheap gimmick. However, if there's some Stubbs the Zombie kind of thing going on, (like using individual body parts in order to proceed through the game) then we might have something cooking here. I know that puzzle solving has been confirmed and all, but still...need to see moar gameplay.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Not coming for PC? Awww... it looks pretty interesting and fun.
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
The description of the dismemberment mechanic and what it's used for reminds me of Plok. Anyone else remember that? Anyone? Bueller?
Well, I DO remember that game, I remember renting it like 2 or 3 times, it was just so full of awesome. I remember trying to defeat those big mouth boss things, they were hard as hell and getting out of the first island was a real feat, and the whole game was just beginning when you reach the continent. No, not an obscure game at all. Even I could call this game Plok with gore and guns...

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I've been looking forward to this since E3, but now I've got a little question. Won't it get a little annoying after a while, having to roll around time and time again for your bodyparts?

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
The description of the dismemberment mechanic and what it's used for reminds me of Plok. Anyone else remember that? Anyone? Bueller?
Well, I DO remember that game, I remember renting it like 2 or 3 times, it was just so full of awesome. I remember trying to defeat those big mouth boss things, they were hard as hell and getting out of the first island was a real feat, and the whole game was just beginning when you reach the continent. No, not an obscure game at all. Even I could call this game Plok with gore and guns...
I'm actually rather happy that someone else remembers it and liked it as much as I did. Maybe it was more popular in different areas, but I rarely run into anyone who even knows what I'm talking about. I still have the cartridge itself and am kind of tempted to hook up the SNES now just to play through it, but I think I'll probably go the emulator route just for the sake of having save states so I can actually beat it for once, which I never quite managed before. For something with that length and difficulty level, it sure could've used save files or a password system or something...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
lol that looks pretty cool, hope they dont eff it up