Rockstar Grants Red Dead Redemption Cheaters a Chance to Save Themselves

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rockstar Grants Red Dead Redemption Cheaters a Chance to Save Themselves

There's a ban train coming, and cheaters are going to get tied to the track. But if they're quick, Rockstar says, they might just be able to wriggle free.

On Tuesday, Rockstar will be cleaning house on Reed Dead Redemption's multiplayer, and "swiftly and indefinitely" booting any player it's detected using hacked save files. Rockstar is not without mercy however, and is giving cheaters one last chance to save themselves.

Writing on the Rockstar blog [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/7941/red_dead_cheaters_and_hackers_be_warned_the_ban_hammer_is_coming_-_next_week.article], the developer said that in order for RDR cheaters to avoid getting smashed into a sticky banned pulp, anyone with hacked saved files would have to delete them and then go online so that the Rockstar systems can detect that they are now clean. In the case of single player saves, players would have to replay the game until they reached the safehouse at MacFarlane's ranch, and for multiplayer saves, players would need to play one full game online, or do one Gang Hangout.

Rockstar said that anyone who had taken advantage of temporary exploits a couple of weeks ago to grind XP would be safe, as it was only those with hacked saves that would be targeted. Rockstar warns that deleting a save means that literally everything is removed, but that any pre-order bonuses or cheats they had earned through the Rockstar Social Club would be recovered when they started a new save. Those who fail to delete their saves and do get banned will be unable to play online and will have their names stricken from the leaderboards.

I have to say that the way that Rockstar is handling this situation is pretty neat, as anyone who does get banned really only has themselves to blame. No one can say that Rockstar isn't giving them a chance to change their ways when it is literally giving them a chance to change their ways.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/08/18/amnesty-still-possible-before-red-dead-redemption-bans-next-week/]

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
Bravo Rockstar! A Good and effective way to deal with Hackers whilst remaining fair. Good show!

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Red Dead REDEMPTION's makers are giving its players a chance of redemption. Heh.
I think, my grammar kinda sucks.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
Yes, this seems like a good way to handle it. And hopefully there will be less cheating after the bans.

On an unrelated note, you missed a perfectly good chance to say "Rockstar Grants Red Dead Redemption Cheaters a Chance to Redeem Themselves".

EDIT: Ah, ninja'd.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
One could almost say that they're giving the cheat a chance to r--

Alon Shechter said:
Red Dead REDEMPTION's makers are giving its players a chance of redemption. Heh.
I think, my grammar kinda sucks.
... fu[expletive deleted] ninja'd.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I was hoping they would go harder on peole exploiting glitches and so, but this is good too.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I was hoping they would have to face off against each other in a duel and winners would get a chance to go on. The losers would get permabanned

dannymc18

Dec 15, 2009
I don't see why they should be given a second chance - they've ruined the game for everyone else, knowing full well what they were doing. Ban 'em on the spot, R*.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Grats Rockstar, you're clearly a very fair and credible company. I just hope the cheaters don't find another way (which, inevitably, they will).

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
a chance at redemption, aha

Rockstar: next time, we won't be so gracious. cross us again, and we will put a bounty on your head so large, you won't be able to go near civilization again!

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
What?

What do they mean by hacked saves? Does that mean people who have gotten save files from friends because they might not give a flying f**k about the story, and only want to play with the awesome game engine Rockstar have made? Well, if that is the case, I will never ever buy anything from Rockstar again. Ever.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Nincompoop said:
What?

What do they mean by hacked saves? Does that mean people who have gotten save files from friends because they might not give a flying f**k about the story, and only want to play with the awesome game engine Rockstar have made? Well, if that is the case, I will never ever buy anything from Rockstar again. Ever.
Are you complaining about what I think your complaining about?

Because if so, sigh. Fucking sigh.