UK Defense Secretary Calls for Medal of Honor Ban

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
UK Defense Secretary Calls for Medal of Honor Ban

British defense secretary Liam Fox has urged retailers not to stock the upcoming Medal of Honor game, saying that he is disgusted that the game allows players to be the Taliban.

Anger at EA's Medal of Honor allowing players to assume the role of Taliban soldiers in the game's multiplayer has reached the upper echelons of the British government today, as Fox expressed his disgust for the game, and called upon British retailers to ban it from their shelves.

Fox said that he found it hard to believe that anyone in the country would want to buy such an "un-British" game, and that he was shocked that anyone would think that a game where you could be the Taliban was acceptable. "At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands," he said. "I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product." A spokesperson for EA said there that Medal of Honor was just a game, and merely reflected the fact that conflicts has two sides. She likened it to a game of cops and robbers, saying that somebody had to be the bad guy.

As I understand it, it would be illegal for the UK government to try to ban Medal of Honor itself, which is presumably why Fox is trying to guilt trip retailers into banning it for him. It's not hard to see why Fox is upset - EA knew [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102650-Playable-Taliban-Wont-Push-Too-Hard-in-Medal-of-Honor] this would be controversial when it was making the game - but it's still a little sad to see an elected official respond in such a knee-jerk manner.

Source: The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/22/taliban-computer-game-defence-secretary]

Apr 28, 2008
Don't you play as the Taliban, or something similar in multiplayer matches in COD4 and MW2?

Why weren't those games called to be banned? Well 2 was, but that was because of the airport thing.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Liam Fox is such a good name for someone who is proposing such a dumb thing.

Although with phrases such as "Un-British game" its kind of hard to be surprised about this. Such a waste of a name.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
What the actual hell? "Un-British"? "ban this tasteless product"?

Kindly go fuck yourself, Liam Fox.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Well of course he's disgusted by it, because the moron hasn't looked into it more than: "OH NOEZ, TALIBAN!1!".

I'm sick of these fucking idiots.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
This is just silly. Like that spokesperson for EA said, someone has to play the bad guys in a game("bad" is a matter of opinion anyway). In counter-strike people have been able to play the terrorists for years. When I play multiplayer, I don't really pay much attention about what I am, I just play.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
"At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands,"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And the soldiers on the other side haven't killed any fathers/husbands? That's some serious bullshit.

whaleswiththumbs said:
At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands
So what exactly does the UK military do to people? Tickle them into submission?
I hate ninja's <.>

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Woodsey said:
Well of course he's disgusted by it, because the moron hasn't looked into it more than: "OH NOEZ, TALIBAN!1!".

I'm sick of these fucking idiots.
You and me both, man. You and me both.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Is it just me, but doesn't he like give orders to kill people, and hes complaining about virtual people being killed?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
FargoDog said:
An 'un-British game'? What is with this country and all the stupid, washed up patriotism? What exactly makes it so 'un-British'? What are these mystical values Dice and EA don't hold that the UK clearly does?
A love of salt and vinegar crisps?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Irridium said:
Don't you play as the Taliban, or something similar in multiplayer matches in COD4 and MW2?

Why weren't those games called to be banned? Well 2 was, but that was because of the airport thing.
My thoughts exactly. Perhaps this time it's such a big deal because Modern Warfare takes that whole route of keeping the locations and the insurgents themselves relatively un-named.

No one ever cares for the Russians.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Oh wow this is stupid...

Screw you government... you don't have any idea what's going on.
I'd argue that the Minister of Defence has more of an idea about what's going on in Afghanistan, and the effect that's having on British soldiers and their families than EA, a foreign videogames publisher, does.