Atari and Cryptic Head Back to Neverwinter

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Atari and Cryptic Head Back to Neverwinter

After more than year of speculation, Atari has unveiled a new online Dungeons & Dragons RPG set in the city of Neverwinter.

If you've got fond memories of hunting down the cause of the Wailing Death, or battling the dread Githyanki, then the announcement of Neverwinter is probably going to be cause for celebration. But don't expect to see a lot of familiar faces, as this is not the same Neverwinter you've saved in the past.

The game is set in a Forgotten Realms updated for the 4th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons, a century after the world of Faerûn weathered the terrible "Spellplague." In this new setting, Neverwinter has suffered many disasters, and is now wracked with in-fighting between political factions, as well as incursions from the walking dead.

Neverwinter will use a modified version of the 4th Edition rules. Players will be able pick one of five classes - which aren't detailed, but judging from the silhouettes on the game's official site, I'd hazard a guess at Cleric, Wizard, Warrior, Rogue and Ranger - and join groups made up of either other players or computer-controlled bots to take on and complete quests. Players will also be able to make their own adventures and share them with the rest of Neverwinter's population.

Neverwinter is part of a multimedia launch and will have a companion tabletop RPG and a prequel novel called Gauntlgrym written by R.A. Salvatore, who created the famous Forgotten Realms character of Drizzt Do'Urden, as well as writing the story for the 2004 D&D videogame Demon Stone. Liz Schuh, brand director for D&D at Wizards of the Coast, expects millions of fans to buy the book, and says the company is excited about the prospects for "great digital game experiences."

Rumors that Atari was working on a Neverwinter Nights MMOG started over a year ago, following the acquisition of Cryptic Studios by Atari at the end of 2008, and got a boost earlier this month following a slip of the tongue from an Atari employee at Gen-Con and some Neverwinter-themed domain name filings. Interestingly though, the game is never referred to an MMOG. Instead it uses the term "co-op roleplaying game," which might be just another way of saying the same thing, but could also mean that it has a slightly different focus than something like DDO, or Cryptic's other MMOGs.

If you want to have a look for yourself, you can head over to the game's official site [http://www.playneverwinter.com/], but be warned, there's not a lot to see just yet. Neverwinter is scheduled for release on PC at the end of next year.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Man, another RPG game being written by R.A. Salvator? He's really spreading himself thin.

I'm guessing this will be more action based as we already have many semi MMO's from the first 2 NWN's.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
What, only 5 character classes? That seems a tad bit... sparse, considering there are 8 classes in just the baselines Player's Handbook for 4th Edition D&D (Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock, Warlord, Wizard - there is no such thing as a "warrior"), and I would have hoped they'd put Swordmage in as well, considering that's the profession in the Forgotten Realms supplement (also it is awesome).

Still, I'm excited - I loves me some Forgotten Realms and D&D; Eberron is nice enough but I just don't have any real sense of history there, you know?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh, wow. Now this is making me feel old, heh. Something to look forward to for sure.

God, im feeling old now

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm mixed on this. On one hand, I was hoping for someone to come out with a 4th ed DnD game. On the other hand, I don't really like the sound of the game. The game sounds too MMO-ish, and even if it's just co-op, I hate co-op...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Craptic? Damn, hope they don't change DnD rules to be more "online friendly".

I WANT TO PLAY MY WIZARD, NOOOOOW.

And make it not suck like DnD Online is - instanced to hell and long-ass leveling...

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
4th edition rules? Five classes? Next you'll be giving us talent trees.

Bring back 3.5 rules.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
This is going to be a train wreck. All I wanted was a Bioware-style RPG with 4e rules. Was that really too much to ask?

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Cryptic = rather bad at making games.
D&D = Rather bad as a system for a PC game (that is my opinion)

So will two wrongs make a right?

All in all if it has Cryptic and Dungeon and Dragons written on the cover I will probably not play it.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I dunno about this. I'l keep an eye on it since i ordered the first game recently so i'l see how that is.

I wonder if it'll be on console's...

LifsAndlat

Jul 14, 2009
I'm torn. I adored the Neverwinter Nights games, but it just won't be the same without Bioware. But I also love R.A. Salvatore and enjoyed 4th ed DnD.

May 23, 2010
This is Cryptic - the game is going to be shit. Neverwinter Nights is great because of the depth, characters, and replayability due to the toolset. Cryptic is about as deep as a wading pool, I can't recall a single character that was interesting in a Cryptic game, and they don't exactly take the time to make neat stuff. That's my two cents.

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
Sounds interesting to say the least. Will have to keep an eye on this one, a 4e game is something I've been hoping for, but only if done really well.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
All I'm going to say is that Cryptic has a 50% track record of success.

They do two things well.

1. Action style games.

2. Character customization.

To me, NWN has always been a more action oriented game. D&D is primarily a game of character customization.

I think this could have potential.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
the only part of the 4th edition rules i hate is that they screwed over the characters i liked i want my normal faerun back

wellhereiam

Jul 4, 2010
Well this is one less reason for me to get back into PC gaming. I thought this would be awesome but apparently they decided that my favorite part of Neverwinter Nights(The tons and tons of classes) isn't important.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
On one hand, DnD is awesome and Neverwinter Nights has kept well up with that.

But an MMO? I'm not entirely convinced.

And what is with there being only five classes? That's a new low, especially considering the vast array of them there are available in the source material.