Child Psychiatrist Calls for "Exercise Ratings" on Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Child Psychiatrist Calls for "Exercise Ratings" on Games

A child psychiatrist is calling for "exercise ratings" on motion-controlled videogames, saying that such a system would be a valuable tool in the fight against childhood obesity.

Videogame ratings are nothing new but they're generally seen as a way to help determine whether or not a particular game will turn your child into a remorseless axe murderer as he blossoms into adulthood. But child psychiatrist Paul Ballas thinks it's time for a new kind of rating for a new kind of videogame. He wants to see "exercise ratings" for games that take advantage of the Kinect, Move and Wii motion-sensing controls.

Ballas' system would be broken down into four ratings:

Sedentary: Games played by pushing buttons while seated. No increase in heart rate, no increase in metabolic rate. Comparable to reading or watching television.

Low intensity: Games that result in an energy expenditure of two to four times the resting metabolic rate. Comparable to walking.

Moderate intensity: Games that result in an energy expenditure of four to six times the resting metabolic rate. Comparable to brisk walking.

High intensity: Games that result in an energy expenditure of six to eight times the resting metabolic rate. Comparable to jogging.

"If the videogame industry puts its immense resources into developing fun games that give players a cardiovascular workout instead of simply churning out the type of couch-bound, pixel-hunting games companies have often been forced to defend, there is a real chance of striking a blow against childhood obesity, which has become a major public health crisis in the United States," Ballas wrote in an article for Wired [http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-08/18/videogames-exercise-ratings].

"An exercise rating system could estimate the calories burned by the average person in an hour of gameplay. The label could range from 'Sedentary' for lean-back, button-intensive shooting games to 'Active' for games with a calorie-expenditure rate comparable to playing basketball," he continued. "Implementing such a system would go a long way toward helping families make informed decisions about gameplay. The videogame industry should seriously consider such a policy, so that videogames can become part of the solution when it comes to childhood obesity."

It's an interesting idea, although I see it as more of a marketing tool than a legitimate rating system, as publishers play up their games to parents as being good for their children. In either case, I'm not quite as optimistic as Ballas that motion-based games will "revolutionize" the fight against childhood obesity. I tend to subscribe to the old-fashioned notion that if videogames are turning kids into a bunch of fatties, then maybe the solution isn't more ratings, but less videogames.

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
Meh. If they do, it doesn't really effect me.Go ahead and do it. People will just which one gives them more exercise.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Not a terrible idea, but seems rather pointless. Also, the last thing I want is for a mother to make her kid stop playing Portal because they should be playing outside.

ArMartinez02

Mar 10, 2010
well thats something new, more rating? man thats gunna be a hasle now, lol, but it would be nice to implements such rating, like that i kno which one benefits me lol

Slick Samurai

Jul 3, 2009
This seems like the best idea of 2010 so far! Now I'll know which games to avoid so I don't feel like I'm going to the gym instead of playing a game! +1 for this rating system.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
He does realize that the motion control boom will probably die in the next 5 years, right?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I rather see them just fight childhood obesity the right way. Ya know, feeding your kids properly, and making sure they play outside sometimes.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
This could be interesting if done right. Except it could also become another thing for overprotective parents to obsess about.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Of...all, the things> I guess people wont rest till every part of a game is labelled in some way ><

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I agree with this, but for different reasons.

People & parents need to be aware that they should do a proper warm-up and stretches before playing anything but a low intensity game, otherwise there's a very real risk of pulled muscles and other sports injuries.

Perhaps the ratings should go even further and identify which muscle groups and parts of the body these games mostly utilise, so people can make an informed decision about which games to use or avoid if they want to exercise or rest certain parts of their body (for example, I have a weak knee so if I played a game like the one in the picture that requires a lot of crouching and rising, I could run the risk of "blowing out" my knee again).

These may be games, but they're also exercise and as such shouldn't be taken lightly... you can't suddenly make an obese child (who's joints and muscles are still developing and are already under too much strain) suddenly perform a high intensity workout without risking long term injury.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The Solution isn't less videogames, it's more parenting and making your kids play outside. With a Cardboard box.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Yea... only thing that'll do is show kids which games to avoid.

Pretty much what the "kid's only" and "everyone" ratings currently do.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I'm sure parents will fail to read these ratings just as much as they ignore the other labels on games, food and pretty much everything else.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
That's pretty retarded.

Another ratings system for parents to keep up with? They ignore the ones we have now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sebenko said:
That's pretty retarded.

Another ratings system for parents to keep up with? They ignore the ones we have now.
More or less my thoughts. This will probably help a few people, but I'm betting most parents aren't going to be more attentive because of a potentially arbitrary rating.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
how about a better education system so most of the poor american families don't use McDonalds as breakfast, lunch and dinner

I think that might be a more effective form of dealing with childhood obesity because I don't think games are the problem

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Sebenko said:
That's pretty retarded.

You hit the nail on the head. I was playing MGS2 when i was 11 or so, and my dad though it looked "Kickass"