Shamus Plays: Champions Online, Part 7

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Shamus Plays: Champions Online, Part 7

Star on Chest has dealt with the zombie threat, and yet brains still seem to be rather important.

Read Full Article

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
I practically made this account to comment on your articles.
When i read your x-com review/preview, what did they do, throw darts at an IP board? ARe they trying to piss off the 5 people who care about this game?
I immediately emailed it to all of my friends who had to listen to me ***** when i I played Champions online.

Pretty much exactly what I said then - and I play X-com.
I DID enjoy champions online, but it was in NO way Champions.
I never understood now why they took arguably THE most hardcore of hardcore-gamer games, and chose THAT as the IP to replace Marvel as their license for a game designed for a casual market.
That name has exactly the name recognition amongst the target audience that "runequest" or ICE would have if i tried to make a wow-competitor.

LOVE your humor, missed this series first time around - but the LOTR had me laughing enough to give this one a look-see, too.
Thanks for the lulz?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
So...how exactly does flying work in that? You can increase the height to get to the tops of buildings and such?

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
So...how exactly does flying work in that? You can increase the height to get to the tops of buildings and such?
Or completely over them. Or leap over them.
The travel powers weren't one of the things making us whince about it.

AND, to buck, i'll say something GOOD about Champions online ( for all it's flaws)...

Far more than in C.O.H., in champions i felt like i was fighting like a superhero, with super-powers.
In COH i felt like i was in a fantasy MMO, just reskinned.

champions online was goofy in a lot of ways, but I had fun within the limits of my attention span ( which isn't up to MMO's, generally speaking).

skystryke

The Tamiami Butcher
Jul 1, 2009
Good part but why are both this one and the previous part labeled part six?

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
skystryke said:
Pugiron said:
skystryke said:
I noticed that, too...
I didn't notice that, but I am noticing ( this is from when he played it before me ) that the brain quest is subtly different from the steps we had to go through - or how i remember it.

Maybe the bad thing is, I found the dubious "homorous" illogic of the game no more suspension of disbelief rattling than the quest logic of {insert mmo here }.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
Hrmm...shouldn't this be Part 7 not 6? Last week was 6 I believe.

Anyway. Amusing as always(as I've come to expect from you. No pressure).

Feb 13, 2008
You know, I'm so glad I only got the trial offer.

I mean, but Canada versus the Vahzilok missions, or even the goddam Oranbega caverns and Canada sucks.

Not the place...well...the place, but not the real place...the fake place...I know what I mean.

THIS IS NO ORDINARY STORM!

MysticnFm

Jul 8, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
I...wait...Isn't this months old? Didn't you get tired and retire to a small town?
Check out his blog for info about this comic series. Basically it is his old comic series for Champions online with a bit of polish, and re-released onto the Escapist, seeing as anyone who hasn't been following him on his own site wouldn't have seen these before.

The explanation was basically due to time restrains there isn't time to do a completely from scratch new comic

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
A small A on Alberta? Us Albertans won't stand for that! We'll form a terrorist group called... called... "Big A!" Yeah!

(Says it out loud.)

Okay, screw that. We're not having a name, we're just going to blow up some provinces getting equalization payments.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I find this amusing, as I committed to a Lifetime subscription early on, it's very mediocre. I had hoped it would get better a lot faster, and thought I was getting a good deal at the time due to the potential I felt it displayed.

Otherwise I will say that there aren't many super hero liscences out there, and a lot of them are in rough shape. DC had it's own game under development, and that pretty much leaves things like what's left of "Dark Horse" or "Image" and things like "Champions" and "Mutants and Masterminds".

While accurate to the game, and some of the same thoughts I had while playing (especially in Canada, I personally thought the ever-creative "Project Greenskin" was a better zone), I will say that their lack of creativity can be given something of a pass. I mean a LOT of the Champions Universe is intentional loose equivilents to more popular comic universes since they couldn't steal their characters. If your thinking "Hey, isn't this VIPER group suspiciously similar to COBRA from GI Joe?" your pretty much getting it right, ditto for heroes and villains that are similar to other popular properties. That said "Champions" *DOES* have some original ideas and quite a few of them if you really dig through the PnP stuff, but that isn't what they are using for the most part because I think they wanted to give people "what they would expect" in hopes of garnering mainstream support.

So, in the end the game does come accross like browsing the toys at a flea market, or surplus store, where you might find "Magnificent Spider Warrior" instead of "Spider Man". "Champions Online" is sort of like someone gathered all the knock offs together and build a world using them. :)

That said I have been keeping an eye on DCU Online for a super-hero game fix (since I burned out on City Of Heroes/Villains long ago) but at the same time I'm pretty wary because to be honest CO looked like a better game during early development, and what I've seen of DCUO so far doesn't exactly smack of creativity. I'll be making desicians about it once I've seen a lot more of the game.

Sadly games like "Champions Online" have served to make me even more cynical.

Oh and one final note, I can't for the life of me figure out why they bothered to do an entire zone based off of Canada like that. I mean if your going to Canada, I would think they would have done something better than a generic frozen wasteland myself.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
so this is part 6 part 2?
at time of righting, this one says part 6 as well as last weeks

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
The Great JT said:
A rip off of The Brain and Monsieur Mallah. Really?

Originality, people. Getcha some.
Probably just a coincidence. I mean, the first thing I think of when shown a disembodied brain is that it should have an intelligent ape for a right-hand-man -monkey -primate. They go together so obviously, like potato salad and napalm.

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
Actually, as was pointed out in reply to Shamus' original series (not by me):

Champions was created in 1981. G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was launched in 1982. Thus Viper predates Cobra by a year so the game actually isn't copying them.

That doesn't excuse the cheesy lack of originality elsewhere, but in this case Champions came first.

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
I...wait...Isn't this months old? Didn't you get tired and retire to a small town?
Spoilers much? It was originally posted to his own site, this is him putting it on the Escapist for people who didn't read it there.

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
Amarsir said:
Actually, as was pointed out in reply to Shamus' original series (not by me):

Champions was created in 1981. G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was launched in 1982. Thus Viper predates Cobra by a year so the game actually isn't copying them.

That doesn't excuse the cheesy lack of originality elsewhere, but in this case Champions came first.
I always thought VIPER and UNTIL in Champions were more or less HYDRA and SHIELD, right outta the comix.
Everyone forgot GENOCIDE, which I alwasy thought was an absolutley terrifying organization.